Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 287

Thread: Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

  1. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Big words has nothing to do with being smart, or being superior (and I say this as somebody who writes for a living). This is an internet forum, not an SAT test.
    No, I am smart by proxy. I was inborn with it. No, I believe a SAT test is multiple choice, my erudition goes beyond that; it is all encompassing, the integral whole, ethereal. It is a vocation,r eally. As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.

  2. #137
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    222
    Wow a few hours later...this is the only thread everyone is putting their efforts into....

    Seriously, what is it about debatable racist comments that get people sugar high? The keyword here is debatable. Gracie is such a blonde. She doesn't need to be smart. Here, I just made a debatable racist comment.

    And I like Allyoudoistalk. Keep it going.
    '

  3. #138
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouDoIsTalk View Post
    Please stop pillaging my posts for dim-witted quips. Context, learn to assimilate by it.
    Not to call you out, but I am 100% sure that assimilate is not used properly there.

  4. #139
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouDoIsTalk View Post
    No, I am smart by proxy. I was inborn with it. No, I believe a SAT test is multiple choice, my erudition goes beyond that; it is all encompassing, the integral whole, ethereal. It is a vocation,r eally. As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.
    'Intelligence' as conceptualized by most is actually education. This is doubly true for you, who thinks intelligence is measured by big words known. You were not born knowing all those big words, and believe you me, anyone with normal or slightly below normal IQ with the time and energy could learn them and learn to use them correctly.

    I don't want this to disintegrate into a personal attack, but it is impossible to believe you are for real.

  5. #140
    Custom Title Minze2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    648
    laugh:

    Since, there is so many negative Mao threads I just wanted to join the club and say Mao is to blame because she should have known better than to posed in the picture with Gracie. And how dare she mispronounce "One more Sandiwch" . Her Olympic chances are doom.

  6. #141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Not to call you out, but I am 100% sure that assimilate is not used properly there.
    ...assimilate *through* it.

  7. #142
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    'Intelligence' as conceptualized by most is actually education. This is doubly true for you, who thinks intelligence is measured by big words known. You were not born knowing all those big words, and believe you me, anyone with normal or slightly below normal IQ with the time and energy could learn them and learn to use them correctly.

    I don't want this to disintegrate into a personal attack, but it is impossible to believe you are for real.
    Wow, rank subjectivism combined with stark anti-intellectualism! that is a personal attack.

  8. #143
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouDoIsTalk View Post
    No, I am smart by proxy. I was inborn with it. No, I believe a SAT test is multiple choice, my erudition goes beyond that; it is all encompassing, the integral whole, ethereal. It is a vocation,r eally. As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.
    Surely surely. As the celestial perspective displays in elaboration, a fully encompassed erudite is an infinitesimal dot like any other. It's entirely tragic, as the Spanish saying goes, "Quieres que te quieres mas?"

    Sorry. Oh I'm Chinese. Some of those words could be unapologetically wrong.

  9. #144
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,519
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouDoIsTalk View Post
    As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.
    So true. The question is: Much of what?

    I certainly expect much from you. Welcome to the GS. Post long and often.

  10. #145
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,901
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouDoIsTalk View Post
    Wow, rank subjectivism combined with stark anti-intellectualism! that is a personal attack.
    Anti-intellectualism is hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible

    How did I express that by saying anyone can learn big words? To me that is a celebration of intellectual pursuits and intellectuals, all of whom learn things (whether words or others) over time. I don't see how I derided education by saying, essentially, anyone can learn words through education. To the contrary, I am saying education is the key to intelligence IMO.

    Also, if you saw my resume or CV, you'd probably pretty much drop dead from shock over how much education I've gotten. To think I am anti intellectual based either on my comments, my behavior on the boards or elsewhere, or my life is kind of... bizarre.

  11. #146
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,519
    I just love an intellectual debate between "All you do is talk!" and "No I don't!"

  12. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Anti-intellectualism is hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible

    How did I express that by saying anyone can learn big words? To me that is a celebration of intellectual pursuits and intellectuals, all of whom learn things (whether words or others) over time. I don't see how I derided education by saying, essentially, anyone can learn words through education. To the contrary, I am saying education is the key to intelligence IMO.

    Also, if you saw my resume or CV, you'd probably pretty much drop dead from shock over how much education I've gotten. To think I am anti intellectual based either on my comments, my behavior on the boards or elsewhere, or my life is kind of... bizarre.
    Then why are you fighting me? You should be supporting me.

  13. #148
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    101
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    Surely surely. As the celestial perspective displays in elaboration, a fully encompassed erudite is an infinitesimal dot like any other. It's entirely tragic, as the Spanish saying goes, "Quieres que te quieres mas?"

    Sorry. Oh I'm Chinese. Some of those words could be unapologetically wrong.
    I don't read Spanish, nor Chinese. But when I do, I'll let you know what I think, okay?

  14. #149
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    124
    When I first knew about Gracie's original tweet, I thought she made a stupid mistake but definitely not malicious and disrespectful. But now after reading some of the posts (too many for me to catch up), it occurs to me maybe she tweeted because she thought Mao's pronunciation was cute. Anyway She apologized and learned that words can be taken completely different from your intention.

  15. #150
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    346
    First of all, I'd like to start by apologizing for the mistakes I make when writing in English, it's not my mother tongue This thread is hilarious. I do agree that it is important to be careful when using twitter 'cos very often people can misinterpret what you write. I think Gracie's tweet was meant to be a joke, addressed not only to Mao but to all skaters who were present in NHK. Many of them also participated in the ICE show were they shot the ShibSibs video (btw, if you haven't seen it, check it out, it's great!!) I find it strange that so many think Gracie's tweet was malicious and racist... Yes, it was a bit silly from her part but come on, it was not racist or offensive by any means.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •