Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Big words has nothing to do with being smart, or being superior (and I say this as somebody who writes for a living). This is an internet forum, not an SAT test.
    No, I am smart by proxy. I was inborn with it. No, I believe a SAT test is multiple choice, my erudition goes beyond that; it is all encompassing, the integral whole, ethereal. It is a vocation,r eally. As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.

Custom Title
    Wow a few hours later...this is the only thread everyone is putting their efforts into....

Seriously, what is it about debatable racist comments that get people sugar high? The keyword here is debatable. Gracie is such a blonde. She doesn't need to be smart. Here, I just made a debatable racist comment.

And I like Allyoudoistalk. Keep it going.
    '

Quote Originally Posted by AllYouDoIsTalk View Post
    Please stop pillaging my posts for dim-witted quips. Context, learn to assimilate by it.
    Not to call you out, but I am 100% sure that assimilate is not used properly there.

No, I am smart by proxy. I was inborn with it. No, I believe a SAT test is multiple choice, my erudition goes beyond that; it is all encompassing, the integral whole, ethereal. It is a vocation,r eally. As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.
    'Intelligence' as conceptualized by most is actually education. This is doubly true for you, who thinks intelligence is measured by big words known. You were not born knowing all those big words, and believe you me, anyone with normal or slightly below normal IQ with the time and energy could learn them and learn to use them correctly.

I don't want this to disintegrate into a personal attack, but it is impossible to believe you are for real.

laugh:

Since, there is so many negative Mao threads I just wanted to join the club and say Mao is to blame because she should have known better than to posed in the picture with Gracie. And how dare she mispronounce "One more Sandiwch" . Her Olympic chances are doom.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Not to call you out, but I am 100% sure that assimilate is not used properly there.
    ...assimilate *through* it.

Banned
    'Intelligence' as conceptualized by most is actually education. This is doubly true for you, who thinks intelligence is measured by big words known. You were not born knowing all those big words, and believe you me, anyone with normal or slightly below normal IQ with the time and energy could learn them and learn to use them correctly.

I don't want this to disintegrate into a personal attack, but it is impossible to believe you are for real.
    Wow, rank subjectivism combined with stark anti-intellectualism! that is a personal attack.

Custom Title
    Surely surely. As the celestial perspective displays in elaboration, a fully encompassed erudite is an infinitesimal dot like any other. It's entirely tragic, as the Spanish saying goes, "Quieres que te quieres mas?"

Sorry. Oh I'm Chinese. Some of those words could be unapologetically wrong.

Custom Title
    As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.
    So true. The question is: Much of what?

I certainly expect much from you. Welcome to the GS. Post long and often.

Wow, rank subjectivism combined with stark anti-intellectualism! that is a personal attack.
    Anti-intellectualism is hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible

How did I express that by saying anyone can learn big words? To me that is a celebration of intellectual pursuits and intellectuals, all of whom learn things (whether words or others) over time. I don't see how I derided education by saying, essentially, anyone can learn words through education. To the contrary, I am saying education is the key to intelligence IMO.

Also, if you saw my resume or CV, you'd probably pretty much drop dead from shock over how much education I've gotten. To think I am anti intellectual based either on my comments, my behavior on the boards or elsewhere, or my life is kind of... bizarre.

Custom Title
    I just love an intellectual debate between "All you do is talk!" and "No I don't!"

Banned
    Anti-intellectualism is hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible

How did I express that by saying anyone can learn big words? To me that is a celebration of intellectual pursuits and intellectuals, all of whom learn things (whether words or others) over time. I don't see how I derided education by saying, essentially, anyone can learn words through education. To the contrary, I am saying education is the key to intelligence IMO.

Also, if you saw my resume or CV, you'd probably pretty much drop dead from shock over how much education I've gotten. To think I am anti intellectual based either on my comments, my behavior on the boards or elsewhere, or my life is kind of... bizarre.
    Then why are you fighting me? You should be supporting me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    Surely surely. As the celestial perspective displays in elaboration, a fully encompassed erudite is an infinitesimal dot like any other. It's entirely tragic, as the Spanish saying goes, "Quieres que te quieres mas?"

Sorry. Oh I'm Chinese. Some of those words could be unapologetically wrong.
    I don't read Spanish, nor Chinese. But when I do, I'll let you know what I think, okay?

Custom Title
    When I first knew about Gracie's original tweet, I thought she made a stupid mistake but definitely not malicious and disrespectful. But now after reading some of the posts (too many for me to catch up), it occurs to me maybe she tweeted because she thought Mao's pronunciation was cute. Anyway She apologized and learned that words can be taken completely different from your intention.

Custom Title
    First of all, I'd like to start by apologizing for the mistakes I make when writing in English, it's not my mother tongue This thread is hilarious. I do agree that it is important to be careful when using twitter 'cos very often people can misinterpret what you write. I think Gracie's tweet was meant to be a joke, addressed not only to Mao but to all skaters who were present in NHK. Many of them also participated in the ICE show were they shot the ShibSibs video (btw, if you haven't seen it, check it out, it's great!!) I find it strange that so many think Gracie's tweet was malicious and racist... Yes, it was a bit silly from her part but come on, it was not racist or offensive by any means.

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast