Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AllYouDoIsTalk View Post
    I don't read Spanish, nor Chinese. But when I do, I'll let you know what I think, okay?
    Really? Surely, fluency in foreign languages - much like vocabulary - is an ethereal part of the integral erudition that you were inborn with via proxy, rather than something you acquire? I'm surprised you don't speak every language!

On second thought, perhaps you should continue to spew your bombastic, garrulous tripe. At the least, it's entertaining... even if us uncultured peasants are incapable of deciphering such brilliantly cogent thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Really? Surely, fluency in foreign languages - much like vocabulary - is an ethereal part of the integral erudition that you were inborn with via proxy, rather than something you acquire? I'm surprised you don't speak every language!

On second thought, perhaps you should continue to spew your bombastic, garrulous tripe. At the least, it's entertaining... even if us uncultured peasants are incapable of deciphering such brilliantly cogent thoughts!
    I like you.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    I just love an intellectual debate between "All you do is talk!" and "No I don't!"
    Now this 'debate' is getting too hard for me to follow.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I like you.
    Hah, merci.

Custom Title
    Gracie is 18 going on 12; she shouldn't even be tweeting.

skating philosopher
    For the record I "only" have a bachelor's degree, like concise writing and do not need to write a lot of big words. I think I turned out OK.

That said, I like Hemingway AND Faulkner, two authors with VERY different writing styles. So I think a wide variety of vernacular could co-exist on this forum

Also protip: If you're going to bring an athlete to task, make sure you got the corret Twitter handle (Not related to the Gracie situation, but just another example of Twitter relations gone bad):

http://mashable.com/2013/11/11/twitt...er-All-Partial

Also, I appreciated this tweet from Jonathan Martin, NYT writer with the same name as the pro NFL star that was getting flammed:

Total strangers berating a pro athlete from behind safety of a computer screen. Really is something.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Uh, what? Why is she carrying her transcripts around for random people to see? Who does that?
    Had just gotten her grades and was comparing with the other girls at the rink who had just gotten theirs like most kids do. Many of the kids at her old rink (where I skate) are very book smart and I suspect they were competing on # of A's in upper level classes like they do on # of triples landed.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Now this debate' is getting too hard for me to follow.
    I propose the next round be battled out Twitter style, with limited number of words per shot, in accordance with the origin of this thread as well as for the benefits of us ignoramuses.

Lest it seems unfair to AUDIT, let me point out the advantage of big words in such a restrictive format. After all there are more than one way to be verbose.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I didnt think it was such a big deal, especially cause it looked like it was intended well with ther instagram and all, also I m fine with people not having a native's accent and be teased about, like me, I dont know why people got mad about it.

Custom Title
    Americans are so paranoid about political correctness. I don't think the tweet was a big deal.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Americans are so paranoid about political correctness.
    This is so un-PC. Somebody may start a thread! Good thing your celebrity status is concealed.

Here's Mind Your Language a classic 1970's tv series which stereotyped people from different countries. Incredibly clever and hilarious and very popular in non-English speaking countries.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Youths today just don't understand how to be respectful and sensitive. *sigh*
    Lol, do you realize that this comment is not all that dissimilar to the one Gracie made? Negative stereotypes...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    Had just gotten her grades and was comparing with the other girls at the rink who had just gotten theirs like most kids do. Many of the kids at her old rink (where I skate) are very book smart and I suspect they were competing on # of A's in upper level classes like they do on # of triples landed.
    Obviously the other girls are still in preschool, getting the first gold star for their coloring class. I have 2 gold stars, how many do you have?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Americans are so paranoid about political correctness. I don't think the tweet was a big deal.
    Amen to that. People are so sensitive now i'm tired of the PC crowd trying to mute people's free speech. I guess i grew in in a time when we were not afraid to talk freely and didn't have the PC crowd all up in arms. We have raised a paranoid generation afraid to be themselves and will be called racists at a drop of the hat. A comedian like Don Rickles would never survive in this climate now.

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast