Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 287

Thread: Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

  1. #196
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Except that she did in the practice for the video and was coached by her fellow skaters to say it better, so stop judging an inside joke.
    All this talk about inside joke. Are you inside, how do you know it's inside? Mao can't barely speak English, suddenly they are sharing inside joke? Like they are best friendz. Like they are a couple of mall rats, talking about boys and sharing answers to physics homework?

    Hello!

  2. #197
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    409
    Kids today really have no idea of what would be considered politically incorrect or racist from a few years ago. Some of them are so "non-racist" that they do things that seem odd to older folks.

    We had a girl who wanted to be Mel B. from the Spice Girls on "Dress like a celebrity day" at a high school I taught at. She was white, though, so she had to put on a lot of tanner. The grown-up teachers were appalled, but not the kids (even the black kids). It was like, duh, if you're white and you want to dress like a black celebrity, what else are you going to do? They had no reference to cruel, racist, black-face movies or whatever.

    Gracie probably thought that's what it sounded like when Mao mentioned the sandwich and spelled in phonetically. She probably doesn't know about racist, hurtful stereotypes from years ago. It was good she deleted the tweet, but I doubt she has any bad intent.

  3. #198
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Except that she did in the practice for the video and was coached by her fellow skaters to say it better, so stop judging an inside joke.
    You mean this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvhNjWF2DE

    I don't see Mao's accent being corrected here in this clip, and in fact, there is a sound quite similar to the 'l' sound in the Japanese language, so Japanese language speakers would not have that much of a problem with the 'l' sound as much as they have with the 'r' sound.

    What can happen sometimes when a Japanese person is trying to master the 'r' sound is that their 'l' pronunciation starts sounding weird, like people who practice the lutz suddenly start having problems with the flip which they used to be able to do competently.

    But in any case, I think Mao's and 'l's and 'r's are sounding quite okay in the original clip and in the practice clip.

    BTW, I kinda feel sorry for the Shibs. They have been so savvy in their engagement with social media and have been doing such a great job with it, and now, their work has been marred by Gracie's most unwitty use of it.

  4. #199
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,966
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    BTW, I kinda feel sorry for the Shibs. They have been so savvy in their engagement with social media and have been doing such a great job with it, and now, their work has been marred by Gracie's most unwitty use of it.
    Marred? Gracie's "controversy" got their work thousands of extra views.

  5. #200
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    747
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Except that she did in the practice for the video and was coached by her fellow skaters to say it better, so stop judging an inside joke.

    Have you ever been around kids? They pronounce things wrong all the time and it is often incredibly cute.

    If you're having such a misunderstanding about this, then I wonder where your thoughts are on poverty, overpopulation, overconsumption, and income inequality in the World. That's scary to me.
    Except that we weren't discussing the 'practice' where she still said it just fine, but rather the actual video - where again, she said it just fine.

    Considering I've had 4 of them the answer to your first question is 'Yes' I've been around kids. And this incident has NO comparison to that whatsoever. This was a tweet making sport of a Japanese young woman's supposed accent in English. That was offensive in every sense of the word. Unreal that you would even compare that to something 'cute' a small child would say while learning to talk.

  6. #201
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,578
    hurrah.

  7. #202
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Marred? Gracie's "controversy" got their work thousands of extra views.
    Are you dim, or are you young?

  8. #203
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    36
    Mao is not an Asian-American and obviously a foreigner from Gracie's standpoint. English is just a foreign language for Mao that she does not need to speak daily. I don't think Gracie would have said something like this if Mao was someone living in the US. 
    You might be right. But, see, that's where the issue of social media comes in. It would have been one thing if Gracie had joked like this privately to Mao alone, or even if she had said something like this on Japanese television. But she put it out there for the world to see. That tweet wasn't for Mao's eyes alone, it was also for her many followers, most of whom (I'm assuming) happen to be American.

    The thing with inside jokes is that that stops becoming a viable defense when you say said jokes on a public platform. That invites scrutiny. You don't want the public to comment on your "joke", then you don't make the joke public. You take it to email or in a private tweet. Now, I think Gracie's young and she's grown up in the age of social media, so she hasn't yet learned how to do this yet. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, so many kids these days think nothing of splashing their every thought on places like twitter and facebook. The boundaries between private and public behavior are slowly eroding.

    For the record, I don't think Gracie meant the tweet maliciously, and I don't think she needs to burn in the fiery pits of hell or anything, lol. But she definitely messed up here.

  9. #204
    skating philosopher
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,007
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkwhatspork View Post
    You might be right. But, see, that's where the issue of social media comes in. It would have been one thing if Gracie had joked like this privately to Mao alone, or even if she had said something like this on Japanese television. But she put it out there for the world to see. That tweet wasn't for Mao's eyes alone, it was also for her many followers, most of whom (I'm assuming) happen to be American.

    The thing with inside jokes is that that stops becoming a viable defense when you say said jokes on a public platform. That invites scrutiny. You don't want the public to comment on your "joke", then you don't make the joke public. You take it to email or in a private tweet. Now, I think Gracie's young and she's grown up in the age of social media, so she hasn't yet learned how to do this yet. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, so many kids these days think nothing of splashing their every thought on places like twitter and facebook. The boundaries between private and public behavior are slowly eroding.

    For the record, I don't think Gracie meant the tweet maliciously, and I don't think she needs to burn in the fiery pits of hell or anything, lol. But she definitely messed up here.
    It looks like she also has a fair number of Japanese fans who also follow her and for the most paper were pretty gracious about the mistake when she apologized.

    That said, I agree with the rest of what you said. It is amazing that despite being "native" to the technology, that they probably don't realize the power social media can have to make or break you.

  10. #205
    Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Hollywood, CA
    Posts
    3,966
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    No, I mean before they even filmed anything and were telling her what she would be saying and doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    Are you dim, or are you young?
    Are you angry, or have you never worked in entertainment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Unreal that you would even compare that to something 'cute' a small child would say while learning to talk.
    But that's exactly what happens when ANYONE tries to learn a new language. Even people who have been around a certain language since birth can end up having their own vocal quirks that can be endearingly made fun of.

    It seems like you're blindly defending something which requires no defense, just because it's Mao. If Javier Fernandez had been the subject here and Gracie had posted some kind of riff on one of his cute dialect quirks, I wonder how many people would be viewing it in the same negative light.

  11. #206
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    268
    1). I agree w/Mrs. P's on how social media invites scrutiny. One, it is speculation, no matter how seemingly well-founded, that this is an inside joke. Two, even if it was an inside joke w/either Gracie's Japanese fans, w/Mao, or both, the fact that she posted it on a social platform available to both Japanese and American fans does invite scrutiny. It's kind of like having a loudly spoken conversation in a public place, and then spinning around and accusing the bystanders of eavesdropping. Well sorry, but by utilizing a public forum-- Twitter-- you've also invited the public's scrutiny and criticism.

    2). Personally, I do find this a bit offensive. I'm not saying I haven't poked fun at accents before, but there's a big difference imo, joking among friends who understand it as such and doing so on a public forum everyone can view. With my friends, there's an understanding and context; neither exist in the latter case.

    3). I'm sorry but the "she's young!" comment honestly irks me. She's not a child, she's 18 already. I'm right around her age and while I won't claim that everything I've said has been perfectly appropriate, I've also never posted said sayings to a social platform. Also, I'm not a quasi-public figure like Gracie is. You don't need to be an intellectual or rocket scientist to possess a filter and some common sense.

  12. #207
    Blue-footed Booby aftertherain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,311
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    hurrah.
    Why are you thumbing down hurrah for expressing her opinion? Nobody thumbed down your comment--everyone seemed understanding, in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    1). I agree w/Mrs. P's on how social media invites scrutiny. One, it is speculation, no matter how seemingly well-founded, that this is an inside joke. Two, even if it was an inside joke w/either Gracie's Japanese fans, w/Mao, or both, the fact that she posted it on a social platform available to both Japanese and American fans does invite scrutiny. It's kind of like having a loudly spoken conversation in a public place, and then spinning around and accusing the bystanders of eavesdropping. Well sorry, but by utilizing a public forum-- Twitter-- you've also invited the public's scrutiny and criticism.
    For the most part. I do agree with all the points in your post, especially #1.

  13. #208
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    It is amazing that despite being "native" to the technology, that they probably don't realize the power social media can have to make or break you.
    I actually would argue it's partly because they are native to the technology. I think anyone in, say, the mid 20's and above age group right now can at least remember a time when it wasn't like this and they were 'adult-ish'. Partly because it is 'new' to us on some level we've had to think about it and examine it and its implications (or maybe, most of the people I happen to talk to/interact with online and off have chosen to do so). I do not think most people to who it is 'native' have the inclination for such exploration, but I don't think this is their fault. Being as this is all they have known, it's sort of silly to expect that they'd examine it the same way many 23 or 24+ year olds have chosen to and in some cases have needed to. To the teens especially and also to the young 20 something's, it is just there, and has been for either all or most of their lives that they remember/reflect on.

  14. #209
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,578
    This is an awful thread, nothing new, just fighting. give the kid a break, she did apologize. if mao's not offended, then whose business is it now. mods should close this...all bad at this point

  15. #210
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    908
    I wonder if this means no medals for Gracie at upcoming Olympics/Worlds... PC is killing this country. As the daughter of immigrants with friends from all over the world, it seems to me that her tweet was really stupid not offensive... She was being an awkward dork - no need to crucify her.

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •