Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

Custom Title
    I don't think tweetgate will have any bearing on her ability to medal at Sochi/Japan. This story seemed to have barely, if at all, registered in Japan, and Russia will not care about some teen's foreign mishap (and the hoopla generated in non-Russian media).

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    If Gold qualifies for Sochi:
    The one lucky break for her regarding the original tweet is that she made her big mistake now -- as opposed to during the Olympics, when it could have caused much more embarrassment for herself, for U.S. Figure Skating, for the USOC, for her sponsors, etc.

I am glad that she tweeted an apology, and I hope it means that she will never make this kind of mistake again.

Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    Except that she did in the practice for the video and was coached by her fellow skaters to say it better, so stop judging an inside joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post
    No, I mean before they even filmed anything and were telling her what she would be saying and doing. ...
    The behind-the-scenes montage published in Aug by the ShibSibs (as a separate offering from the One More Sandwich video itself) showed three takes of Asada's line -- and gave NO reason to believe that the second and third takes had anything to do with modifying her pronunciation.

Blades, you say that you are not referring to the behind-the-scenes video.
    But how can you claim to know what happened in any off-camera rehearsals for the video? I find it hard to believe that you know what you are talking about. Were you there in person? How so?

As I said earlier in this thread:
    - The inside joke of the video had NOTHING to do with Asada's pronunciation.
    - And Gold's original tweet made NO pretense of being a personal/private message meant only for Asada.
    Gold did not tweet "@" Asada. Gold used the hashtags #mao #asada -- indicating Gold's clear intention for the tweet to be seen by the public at large.
    Gold has over 11,000 followers to whom she routinely tweets all kinds of self-promotional messages for as many eyeballs as possible. And the fact that she blocked those who complained about the original tweet is additional evidence that Gold is thoroughly familiar with how Twitter works.

Medalist
    I idly wonder (and doubt) if there would be a debate of these proportions if the accent tweet was about a skater of the same race as Gracie. Say, if she mimicked the pronunciation of a Russian skater. So far, I have the impresion that things turn ugly only if there's race involved, which doesn't make much sense to me.
    If one was to analyze every single word one posts online to delete any possible slurs others might see there, it would be rather quiet on the internet. :P I wonder if the same people that have issues with Gracie for mocking a pronunciation that's (stereo)typical for the Japanese, are also offended at, say, J.K.Rowling for doing the same thing in her HP books, targeting East-European and French speakers, accompanied by behaviour stereotypes and with impressionable children as target audience? Somehow, I doubt that. And wonder if that is because race is not involved. Do jokes about females, blondes, other races etc. embody the same type of offence?

All the best to Gracie, she's apologized for a tweet that I don't believe was posted to mock, and I hope she moves on without making too much of all the negative feedback she got.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by surimi View Post
    I idly wonder (and doubt) if there would be a debate of these proportions if the accent tweet was about a skater of the same race as Gracie. Say, if she mimicked the pronunciation of a Russian skater.
    Her comment wasn't racist. What has race to do with English pronunciation?

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Her comment wasn't racist.
    I agree. But look at the title of this thread - apparently there are people who believe it was.

What has race to do with English pronunciation?
    Nothing. But it seems to me it has something to do with the number of negative reactions that Gracie got, and I wondered if she would get as many had she made fun of the pronunciation of a foreign skater who is white.

Custom Title
    Her comment wasn't racist. What has race to do with English pronunciation?
    In the OJ Simpson trial, someone was judged "racist" because he said a man, whom he could not see, sounded "black".

Rinkside
    I wasn't surprised her tweet, perhaps it's because I knew her "Asian face!!" photo with Lexis Verhulst on Instagram...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    In the OJ Simpson trial, someone was judged "racist" because he said a man, whom he could not see, sounded "black".
    This is what is wrong with a country that is run by lawyers. Seriously?! I suppose Vanilla Ice sound white?! Come on...

All these digital bites <pun intended> over a sandwich.... what I really want to know is who ate it, and I hope it taste dewicious?

Custom Title
    Asada was shown eating the sandwich. She seemed to find it delicious or at least edible. The story has already reached NBC sports news. However one feels about this personally, evidently many see it in a negative light and are not likely to change their opinions. Hopefully, it won't affect judgment of her skating, but who knows. Wonder if Frank will advise her to stay away from social media for awhile?

Asada was shown eating the sandwich. She seemed to find it delicious or at least edible. The story has already reached NBC sports news.
    Wrong.

Narumi Takahashi was shown eating the last sandwich (i.e., the "title" sandwich of the video: "One More Sandwich"). In the behind-the-scenes vid, director Alex Shibutani can be heard coaching Takahashi to ham up her enjoyment as if it were the most delicious sandwich that she had ever eaten.

At the beginning of the One More Sandwich vid, Asada was shown taking the penultimate sandwich from the tray -- but she did not eat it on camera.

Custom Title
    She bit into it, so I assume she didn't spit it out. well, isn't she eating a fourth or half of a full sandwich, the last sandwich. Oddly enough, there actually have been court cases about what constitutes a sandwich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvhNjWF2DE

Banned
    god, this has been getting blown out of proportions by north american media of course
    I understand there is a degree of discrimination that Asian Americans experience probably not experience by their asian native citizen counterparts
    but she said apologized, end of story even the comments on her post most Japanese didnt find it offensive

Im not asian american but still I didnt find that offensive

Custom Title
    Yeah, they all apologize when they get caught, but is that apology sincere or self-serving?

Frank needs to add Michelle to Gold's team !!!! lol. This is Gracie's second pr miscue in a short period of time.

She bit into it, so I assume she didn't spit it out. well, isn't she eating a fourth or half of a full sandwich, the last sandwich. Oddly enough, there actually have been court cases about what constitutes a sandwich.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvhNjWF2DE
    Not that any of this part of the discussion matters , but ...

In the primary "One More Sandwich" video, Asada never is seen putting the penultimate sandwich in her mouth. And Takahashi is the one who eats the very last sandwich.

But ... it is true that in the separate behind-the-scenes vid, Asada does pop a sandwich in her mouth for takes #2 and #3 of the opening scene.
    I forgot about what exactly happened in those outtakes. Sorry, Icey.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    But how can you claim to know what happened in any off-camera rehearsals for the video?
    Communication with other humans. A new and exciting technological advance!

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast