Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

pec0

Match Penalty
I understand the problem is L no R :scratch:, I heard a lot of times japanese presenters to say "Shizuka ARakawa" and I hear perfectly the R
OK the problem was L. It's like Mao failed to make difference between two sounds.

I' sorry that GG is so famous talent that her past comments should be remembered by everyone forever considering she is much much younger than myself. Guess she will be more careful after this.

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Can I just say that American Politically-Correctness really annoys me...There was nothing racist about that tweet...

ordinary person

On the Ice
And the realization that she had put up a picture of herself squinting with the explanation 'Asian face' on social media about a year ago indicated that there is an established pattern in her behavior to ridicule 'Asian' faces, accents, etc. as funny and laughable has made the perception of the problem worse.

All of this does not, in my opinion, indicate that she is a racist. She's just a young girl who didn't get the kind of upbringing to understand that making public statements that belittle other ethnic/national/race groups will cause affront, generally speaking, and that some may even make judgements about her personality.

I also personally see her as the more ignorant and illiterate of her age group (which could change in the future), because as some posters have indicated, not all young people are like her. In fact, there are many who are not like her.

Wow, i did not know about this but now i'm sure she's a closet racist.
She always had this kind of witchy look anyways :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... My defense of Gracie in this thread is based securely in both logic and ethics ....

... Mao Asada, in the Shibutanis' video, was making fun of asians who speak English with an accent. ...

JamesR, your second attempt at revisionist history indicates that you have crossed the line into sheer fiction.

Now you're saying that in the video from the Shibutanis, Mao Asada was making fun of Asians who have an accent?? :eek: You're not going to fool me or anyone else with such utter nonsense.

Because of your complete separation from reality at this point, I will not waste my time with further responses.

"Troll" is not a word that I am quick to invoke, but if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then ...

Mods:
FWIW, I reluctantly have changed my mind, and would no longer discourage closure of this thread.
Never did I dream that what previously had been a productive discussion -- with a a range of opinions -- would lead to someone casting false aspersions on Asada, an innocent bystander vis-a-vis Gold's tweeting. Unfortunately, the thread is giving one person with an overactive imagination a place to run amok.​

Barb

Record Breaker
The presenter will be pleased if you tell him/her that. By the way Japanese language does not have R sound spoken by English people. There is only L sound. Arakawa is spelled using R because of romaji system to write Japanese in Alphabet instead of Japanese characters. We pronounce aLAkawa. I hope this thread stop now.
Ok, I don`t speak english, I speak spanish and the R sound the same like in Japan, Arakawa, Murakami, Nobunari , we have a R like softer (like the japanese R) and another stronger, we don`t pronunce same caro like carro, or ratón and libro, anyway I understand your point.

I suggest this thread move to the section Le café, may be. It is like some difficult ignore it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.