Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 287

Thread: Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

  1. #256
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    275
    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    I can forgive the unwashed masses who know little about anything related to figure skating, for not bothering to inform themselves about the context or about the character of the person, and then pouring their hate and ignorance all over Gracie. I can't forgive goldenskate members for doing the same. YOU should know better. And the fact that you've had the facts stuck right in your face, and still insist on slandering her - beyond redemption.

    Gracie rightly apologized for saying something dumb with good intentions and not realizing how it would be taken. No apology will exonerate YOU.
    Quite an interesting comment, coming from someone willing to point his finger at others and call them "PC Nazis"

  2. #257
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    Then check yourself.

    I didn't bother reading 17 pages of utter human crapola, but here's the link to "THE ICE 2013" video in question in case it was missed.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyKVEDqFDTg

    Gracie was referencing that video. She and Mao and the other skaters had fun making it. She's a teenage girl making a reference in fun to a video she participated in with Mao. Her only mistake was not realizing how her comment would be perceived.

    I can forgive the unwashed masses who know little about anything related to figure skating, for not bothering to inform themselves about the context or about the character of the person, and then pouring their hate and ignorance all over Gracie. I can't forgive goldenskate members for doing the same. YOU should know better. And the fact that you've had the facts stuck right in your face, and still insist on slandering her - beyond redemption.

    Gracie rightly apologized for saying something dumb with good intentions and not realizing how it would be taken. No apology will exonerate YOU.
    Why should *I* be exonerated? What exactly did I do wrong, hmm? Please explain.

    You are slandering many of us here, "not bothering to inform yourself about the context or about the character of the person, and then pouring their hate and ignorance all over us", look in a mirror, seriously.

    I don't know GG personally, unlike you it seems, and I only take her at her words and deeds, nothing else. I am pointing out how those who might feel offended see her tweet. That is "pouring hate and ignorance all over GG", a PC Nazi beyond redemption? So are you answering on her behalf now, how she might perceive those who minded her tweet?

    "Unwashed masses"?? Please tell me all about them.

    The joke is not the problem if she had joked about "Only one sandwich", we'll laugh along with the off-rink capers, it appears to have escaped you that the problem is making a joke of Mao's non-existent accent, "Onry one sandwrich", because you know, Asians have such funny accents, haha. She said so "solly" , so what der ploblem, light?

    Please, mind your crude manners and nasty, foul language. We've all been participating in the discourse in a civilized fashion.

  3. #258
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for your replies, loopy and Mathman. Just nice to know someone's there.
    Mao is naturally gentle and open-minded, and I'm pretty sure that she won't let this affect her.
    I sincerely hope that the skaters can concentrate on skating to do their best for Sochi.

  4. #259
    Long live the Queen! YunaBliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    444
    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    "The words were a reference to a line Asada says while acting in a humorous video created by U.S. ice dancers Maia and Alex Shibutani. The video, titled “THE ICE 2013 — ONE MORE SANDWICH,” was done while Gold was in Japan last summer year to skate in a show Asada headlines called “The Ice.”"

    That is all any thinking person needs to read, to understand the context of the original joke and that it had no malice.

    Of course, most people don't bother to think. Or read.

    Gracie will hopefully learn lessons in all of this:

    1.) Most human beings are hopelessly ignorant
    2.) In media, perception is reality
    3.) Politically-correct nazis will do anything and everything they can to destroy you
    4.) Racism is immediately assumed of whites (see #3)

    Now I'll stop before I say what I REALLY think of the people on this rock.
    Now, that is a hopelessly ignorant post.

    What Gracie posted was in bad taste and derogatory. Period. It doesn't really matter whether she had "malice". It is about how a statement can be perceived by the recipient (in this case, the entire Internet audience). This is the key - she didn't say this directly to Mao in a friendly jest --- rather, she chose to post it so the entire world can read this.

  5. #260
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,116
    James R, sorry, but you are presumptuous.

  6. #261
    Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    5,040
    JamesR, I take many issues with your posts.

    But first I will note:
    It is quite telling and highly ironic that you openly acknowledge being guilty of the same supposed deficiencies for which you hurl scathing criticism at others -- and which you call unforgivable.

    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    "The words were a reference to a line Asada says while acting in a humorous video created by U.S. ice dancers Maia and Alex Shibutani. The video, titled “THE ICE 2013 — ONE MORE SANDWICH,” was done while Gold was in Japan last summer year to skate in a show Asada headlines called “The Ice.”"

    That is all any thinking person needs to read, to understand the context of the original joke and that it had no malice.

    Of course, most people don't bother to think. Or read.

    Gracie will hopefully learn lessons in all of this:

    1.) Most human beings are hopelessly ignorant

    ....
    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    Then check yourself.

    I didn't bother reading ...

    Gracie was referencing that video. She and Mao and the other skaters had fun making it. She's a teenage girl making a reference in fun to a video she participated in with Mao. Her only mistake was not realizing how her comment would be perceived.

    I can forgive the unwashed masses ... for not bothering to inform themselves about the context ... I can't forgive goldenskate members for doing the same. YOU should know better.
    Will restrict myself to only the following additional comments:

    Just about everyone in this thread has been well aware all along of both the primary One More Sandwich video (and how the title relates to the plot) and the secondary behind-the-scenes video. You had no need to patronize us by recapping the vid.

    And contrary to what you would have us believe:
    - Gold's original tweet was not a neutral reference to the title of the vid.
    - The context therefore was not nearly as simple as you pretend.

  7. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Just about everyone in this thread has been well aware all along of both the primary One More Sandwich video (and how the title relates to the plot) and the secondary behind-the-scenes video. You had no need to patronize us by recapping the vid.
    If you claimed to be aware of the alphabet, yet continued to scrawl gibberish, should your kindergarten teacher not take issue with it?

    Gracie made a reference in fun, to a comedy video she participated in with Mao. Her only error was not realizing how many people would not understand the context. All of you who disagree with this, after being presented the facts, are simply beyond hope.

    You can bully, gang up, and scream all you want. Screaming in unison does not constitute a rational argument. Majority doesn't dictate logic.

    You are the ones who are prejudiced. You are the ones screaming hate at another. Not Gracie.

  8. #263
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,690
    Oh, Mao is so cute in that ShibSibs video...

  9. #264
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    If you claimed to be aware of the alphabet, yet continued to scrawl gibberish, should your kindergarten teacher not take issue with it?

    Gracie made a reference in fun, to a comedy video she participated in with Mao. Her only error was not realizing how many people would not understand the context. All of you who disagree with this, after being presented the facts, are simply beyond hope.

    You can bully, gang up, and scream all you want. Screaming in unison does not constitute a rational argument. Majority doesn't dictate logic.

    You are the ones who are prejudiced. You are the ones screaming hate at another. Not Gracie.
    For all your cries of us being prejudiced and "screaming hate" (what screaming hate? I merely see some *gasp* criticism of Gracie), a key detail continuously appears to slip your mind. She posted the video to Twitter, a public social media, and thus opened herself up for public scrutiny. She did not keep an allegedly private joke private (only tweeting to Mao), but instead opened it up to the public, at which point it ceased being a mutually understood private joke and became a subject for public scrutiny and criticism. While you rant and rave about the uneducated masses and our hateful ways, I frankly find myself cringing a great deal more at your continued condescension and ignorance of the continued existence and expression of ethnocentric inequalities and tensions that continue to this day. Gracie is scarcely the victim here; she's is an eighteen year old, a legal adult in the U.S. who should be capable of taking responsibility over her actions, both the good and bad.

  10. #265
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    "The words were a reference to a line Asada says while acting in a humorous video created by U.S. ice dancers Maia and Alex Shibutani. The video, titled “THE ICE 2013 — ONE MORE SANDWICH,” was done while Gold was in Japan last summer year to skate in a show Asada headlines called “The Ice.”"

    That is all any thinking person needs to read, to understand the context of the original joke and that it had no malice.

    Of course, most people don't bother to think. Or read.

    Gracie will hopefully learn lessons in all of this:

    1.) Most human beings are hopelessly ignorant
    2.) In media, perception is reality
    3.) Politically-correct nazis will do anything and everything they can to destroy you
    4.) Racism is immediately assumed of whites (see #3)

    Now I'll stop before I say what I REALLY think of the people on this rock.
    Just wow. Smh.

  11. #266
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    763
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongEdge View Post
    Quite an interesting comment, coming from someone willing to point his finger at others and call them "PC Nazis"
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyskates View Post
    Why should *I* be exonerated? What exactly did I do wrong, hmm? Please explain.

    You are slandering many of us here, "not bothering to inform yourself about the context or about the character of the person, and then pouring their hate and ignorance all over us", look in a mirror, seriously.

    I don't know GG personally, unlike you it seems, and I only take her at her words and deeds, nothing else. I am pointing out how those who might feel offended see her tweet. That is "pouring hate and ignorance all over GG", a PC Nazi beyond redemption? So are you answering on her behalf now, how she might perceive those who minded her tweet?

    "Unwashed masses"?? Please tell me all about them.

    The joke is not the problem if she had joked about "Only one sandwich", we'll laugh along with the off-rink capers, it appears to have escaped you that the problem is making a joke of Mao's non-existent accent, "Onry one sandwrich", because you know, Asians have such funny accents, haha. She said so "solly" , so what der ploblem, light?

    Please, mind your crude manners and nasty, foul language. We've all been participating in the discourse in a civilized fashion.
    Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    Now, that is a hopelessly ignorant post.

    What Gracie posted was in bad taste and derogatory. Period. It doesn't really matter whether she had "malice". It is about how a statement can be perceived by the recipient (in this case, the entire Internet audience). This is the key - she didn't say this directly to Mao in a friendly jest --- rather, she chose to post it so the entire world can read this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    James R, sorry, but you are presumptuous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    For all your cries of us being prejudiced and "screaming hate" (what screaming hate? I merely see some *gasp* criticism of Gracie), a key detail continuously appears to slip your mind. She posted the video to Twitter, a public social media, and thus opened herself up for public scrutiny. She did not keep an allegedly private joke private (only tweeting to Mao), but instead opened it up to the public, at which point it ceased being a mutually understood private joke and became a subject for public scrutiny and criticism. While you rant and rave about the uneducated masses and our hateful ways, I frankly find myself cringing a great deal more at your continued condescension and ignorance of the continued existence and expression of ethnocentric inequalities and tensions that continue to this day. Gracie is scarcely the victim here; she's is an eighteen year old, a legal adult in the U.S. who should be capable of taking responsibility over her actions, both the good and bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    JamesR, I take many issues with your posts.

    But first I will note:
    It is quite telling and highly ironic that you openly acknowledge being guilty of the same supposed deficiencies for which you hurl scathing criticism at others -- and which you call unforgivable.

    Will restrict myself to only the following additional comments:

    Just about everyone in this thread has been well aware all along of both the primary One More Sandwich video (and how the title relates to the plot) and the secondary behind-the-scenes video. You had no need to patronize us by recapping the vid.

    And contrary to what you would have us believe:
    - Gold's original tweet was not a neutral reference to the title of the vid.
    - The context therefore was not nearly as simple as you pretend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    For all your cries of us being prejudiced and "screaming hate" (what screaming hate? I merely see some *gasp* criticism of Gracie), a key detail continuously appears to slip your mind. She posted the video to Twitter, a public social media, and thus opened herself up for public scrutiny. She did not keep an allegedly private joke private (only tweeting to Mao), but instead opened it up to the public, at which point it ceased being a mutually understood private joke and became a subject for public scrutiny and criticism. While you rant and rave about the uneducated masses and our hateful ways, I frankly find myself cringing a great deal more at your continued condescension and ignorance of the continued existence and expression of ethnocentric inequalities and tensions that continue to this day. Gracie is scarcely the victim here; she's is an eighteen year old, a legal adult in the U.S. who should be capable of taking responsibility over her actions, both the good and bad.
    All the posters above!

    Some people here seem to come dangerously close to being apologists for clearly racist remarks, *jokes*, or behavior.

  12. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    For all your cries of us being prejudiced and "screaming hate" (what screaming hate? I merely see some *gasp* criticism of Gracie), a key detail continuously appears to slip your mind. She posted the video to Twitter, a public social media, and thus opened herself up for public scrutiny. She did not keep an allegedly private joke private (only tweeting to Mao), but instead opened it up to the public, at which point it ceased being a mutually understood private joke and became a subject for public scrutiny and criticism.
    It's not a private joke. She's referencing a public youtube video.

    Earlier I was going to start in on why the makers of the video weren't similarly being attacked, even moreso. I quickly realized why - because they're not white!

    So because the video makers aren't white, they are exempt from being called racist for creating the video content. And because Gracie is white (and worse yet has blond hair!), she's automatically a racist for simply quoting it in fun.

    Isn't it racist for the Shibutanis to be making fun of asian English speakers, regardless of their own race? No? What if they had created it, put it on youtube and you didn't KNOW who created it. You'd then conclude that it must be racist against asians. But, since asians created it, it ISN'T racist against asians. Therefore, you are making the argument that context matters. Yet, you say context DOESN'T matter when it's a white girl referencing the video. HER context in referencing this video isn't relevant. She's white and therefore she's racist. Or if not racist, she's a horrible insensitive person who needs to be publicly punished by you, The Moral Authority (sic.)

    Like I said. Beyond redemption.

  13. #268
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Metro DC
    Posts
    193
    It's interesting to me to read that James R (obviously a mega fan of GG) is accusing posters of "screaming hate" towards Gracie. What a vitriolic reaction to simple posts on a figure skating forum. This past summer, while watching that online interview of Ashley Wagner by Jennifer and Dave, (in which she described some of the incredibly OTT nasty emails she received following Nationals '13), I wondered who the heck would be so outraged that AW beat out GG for the national championship that (s)he would want to generate such emotionally charged (hmmm...dare I say "screaming hate") emails.

  14. #269
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    It's not a private joke. She's referencing a public youtube video.

    Earlier I was going to start in on why the makers of the video weren't similarly being attacked, even moreso. I quickly realized why - because they're not white!

    So because the video makers aren't white, they are exempt from being called racist for creating the video content. And because Gracie is white (and worse yet has blond hair!), she's automatically a racist for simply quoting it in fun.

    Isn't it racist for the Shibutanis to be making fun of asian English speakers, regardless of their own race? No? What if they had created it, put it on youtube and you didn't KNOW who created it. You'd then conclude that it must be racist against asians. But, since asians created it, it ISN'T racist against asians. Therefore, you are making the argument that context matters. Yet, you say context DOESN'T matter when it's a white girl referencing the video. HER context in referencing this video isn't relevant. She's white and therefore she's racist. Or if not racist, she's a horrible insensitive person who needs to be publicly punished by you, The Moral Authority (sic.)

    Like I said. Beyond redemption.
    First off, do you know the definition of racism and the difference between discrimination and racism? Racism refers to the institutions and ideologies that implement and perpetuate prejudiced thinking. Thus, a racist would be someone who with discriminatory thoughts/actions who is also in a position of power. Discrimination on the other hand can be practiced by anyone, regardless of their status. Thus, actually no it wasn't considering the Shibutanis are 1). Asian-Americans and 2). of the same ethnicity as Mao.

    Furthermore, when I say the context didn't matter, I was countering the defense that that so many users seem to be using, that it's a private joke which they are apparently supporting by pointing out the public videos. Your argument seems to assume that all the audience that's in the know, unlike those "screaming haters," seems to have come to an overall consensus that there was indeed a private joke when in fact, as this thread's length indicates, there appears to be dissent even among those who had originally seen the videos. Furthermore, I doubt many of us have deep insight into the nature of Mao and Gracie's relationship and can scarcely verify the existence of this alleged good-will teasing, as you and others seem to suggest. This ambiguity, coupled with the video's broad audience and Twitter's public nature is why Gracie has come under criticism.

    Also, if you want to make a valid argument, might I suggest you refrain from using ad hominem attacks to divert attention away from the issue being discussed? This might shock your refined sensibilities, but an argument based on condescending on all those that disagree with you is scarcely persuasive.

  15. #270
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    812
    James R. why do you say that the Shibutanis are making fun of Mao?, it is ridiculous, if you want to defend to GG it is ok, but smear the Shibs is too much , it is not their fault that GG made a mistake

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •