Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
Results 271 to 285 of 287

Thread: Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

  1. #271
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    ...
    Isn't it racist for the Shibutanis to be making fun of asian English speakers, regardless of their own race? ...
    Please stop immediately with your revisionist history -- which is just absurd.

    The videos produced by the Shibutanis did NOT make fun of Mao Asada's accent. No way, no how. Not for one second, not for one frame.

    The entire premise of your most recent post is absolutely without basis. (And none of your posts have accurately represented the entire context of Gold's original tweet, which had two deliberate misspellings of English words.)

    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    ... You can bully, gang up, and scream all you want. Screaming in unison does not constitute a rational argument. Majority doesn't dictate logic.

    You are the ones who are prejudiced. You are the ones screaming hate at another. Not Gracie.
    JamesR, your posts are among the few in this thread that I would liken to "bullying" or "screaming." Most of us are calmly expressing our opinions. They are strong opinions, in some cases, but calmly expressed.

  2. #272
    Custom Title ordinary person's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    270
    Sure, she apoligized after deleting the tweet, what a hypocrite

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by meem View Post
    It's interesting to me to read that James R (obviously a mega fan of GG) is accusing posters of "screaming hate" towards Gracie. What a vitriolic reaction to simple posts on a figure skating forum. This past summer, while watching that online interview of Ashley Wagner by Jennifer and Dave, (in which she described some of the incredibly OTT nasty emails she received following Nationals '13), I wondered who the heck would be so outraged that AW beat out GG for the national championship that (s)he would want to generate such emotionally charged (hmmm...dare I say "screaming hate") emails.
    I would NEVER post negative things to a figure skater -- unlike the gaggle of Gracie haters on this forum, who undoubtedly have been waiting for the chance to pounce on her (likely why this thread is 20 pages.) I'm secretly sending nasty emails to skaters? What outrageous slander.

    My defense of Gracie in this thread is based securely in both logic and ethics, and would be the same regardless of who I was defending.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lilith11 View Post
    First off, do you know the definition of racism and the difference between discrimination and racism? Racism refers to the institutions and ideologies that implement and perpetuate prejudiced thinking. Thus, a racist would be someone who with discriminatory thoughts/actions who is also in a position of power. Discrimination on the other hand can be practiced by anyone, regardless of their status. Thus, actually no it wasn't considering the Shibutanis are 1). Asian-Americans and 2). of the same ethnicity as Mao.
    Blatant hypocrisy of your position aside, you've painted yourself very nicely into a corner.

    One of the following must be true:

    1.) Context matters
    2.) Context does not matter

    If context matters, then Gracie's only mistake was not understanding how many people wouldn't get the joke. Anyone reading this thread now knows the context, and has little to no basis for condemning Gracie.

    If context does not matter, then the video itself is racist and should fall under even more criticism than anyone simply quoting it.

    Lastly, if you apply different rules for Gracie than for the Shibutanis, then you admit openly supporting double standards based on race.

    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    James R. why do you say that the Shibutanis are making fun of Mao?, it is ridiculous, if you want to defend to GG it is ok, but smear the Shibs is too much , it is not their fault that GG made a mistake
    ...I don't. It was a comparison to point out the absurdity of other people's arguments (giving the Shibutanis a pass because of RACE, while grilling Gracie.) I'd bet everyone involved in that video is not only NOT racist, but actually has a sense of humor. Unlike the people arguing with me here. Unlike the people assuming figure skaters are racists when they clearly are not.

    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Please stop immediately with your revisionist history -- which is just absurd.

    The videos produced by the Shibutanis did NOT make fun of Mao Asada's accent. No way, no how. Not for one second, not for one frame.
    Either you're openly denying reality, or splitting hairs. I'll assume the latter for now. Mao Asada, in the Shibutanis' video, was making fun of asians who speak English with an accent. She was participating in something called a "joke." Maybe you should research them. Whether that racially-oriented joke applies to Mao herself is beside the point. They and she are given a pass because they are asian, while Gracie is raked over the coals. That is a double-standard.

    Yet another day on planet Earth where I must sit in awe of just how many people are incapable of comprehending something so very basic.

    Nevertheless, it's always an opportunity to learn something. The ludicrous arguments and double-standards slamming Gracie in this thread have led me to believe that not only is Gracie being punished for her race (by some even openly proud of their double-standards) but that there is actually an active negative bias against white female American figure skaters, reaching all the way back to at least Tara Lipinski. When I think back on all the years of posts on many different forums, summing all of the praise and criticisms put forth toward different figure skaters, there is definitely much more hate thrown at white female American figure skaters. Interesting.

  4. #274
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    This is ridiculous. If it was only Asada Mao who cannot pronounce R correctly, maybe she might feel insulted, NOTE THAT IM JUST JOKING HERE, but in fact many (like over 90% of) Japanese who study English at school but remain in homeisland never master R sound. That's fact and we know that. Asada Mao or any Japanese never care. I feel sorry for Gold for this crazy response on internet. It is clear that Gold had no bad intention. She had no need to apologize. Accusation of racism is just stupid.

  5. #275
    Custom Title chapis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    México
    Posts
    807
    I understand the problem is L no R , I heard a lot of times japanese presenters to say "Shizuka ARakawa" and I hear perfectly the R

  6. #276
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    The presenter will be pleased if you tell him/her that. By the way Japanese language does not have R sound spoken by English people. There is only L sound. Arakawa is spelled using R because of romaji system to write Japanese in Alphabet instead of Japanese characters. We pronounce aLAkawa. I hope this thread stop now.

  7. #277
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by EricRohmer View Post
    This is like off-season talk.
    TEB has to start quickly.
    It didn't work, EricRohmer.
    Maybe ... have to wait till GP Final or worst, the Olympics.

  8. #278
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Please stop immediately with your revisionist history -- which is just absurd.

    The videos produced by the Shibutanis did NOT make fun of Mao Asada's accent. No way, no how. Not for one second, not for one frame.

    The entire premise of your most recent post is absolutely without basis. (And none of your posts have accurately represented the entire context of Gold's original tweet, which had two deliberate misspellings of English words.)



    JamesR, your posts are among the few in this thread that I would liken to "bullying" or "screaming." Most of us are calmly expressing our opinions. They are strong opinions, in some cases, but calmly expressed.
    Word. Contrary to what James R alleged, there is nothing wrong with the original video because that video wasn't about making fun of poor Asian English speech patterns. It was just a caper about skaters and sandwiches. *IF* GG had simply tweeted "Only one more sandwich!", as she hurriedly did, there would be no negative reaction from anyone, especially not from Asians. However, she made a PUBLIC joke about Mao's inability to pronounce "L" in the English language. This wasn't what the video was about. It is this Asian English speech pattern joke (stating it as a fact is perfectly acceptable) that is a problem. Some feel that Asian accent jokes are fine, many feel they're not. Some are fine with tired, albeit friendly, private ribbing/teasing but tried to explain why it would be publicly upsetting to Asians, i.e. provide a context for the larger problem of mainstream exclusion and how Asian speech jokes continue to buttress this exclusion and otherness. It doesn't hurt GG to develop a better sensibility towards other races/ethnic groups from her current public callousness, whether malice was intended. This is the crux of the matter.

  9. #279
    Custom Title hurrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,148
    And the realization that she had put up a picture of herself squinting with the explanation 'Asian face' on social media about a year ago indicated that there is an established pattern in her behavior to ridicule 'Asian' faces, accents, etc. as funny and laughable has made the perception of the problem worse.

    All of this does not, in my opinion, indicate that she is a racist. She's just a young girl who didn't get the kind of upbringing to understand that making public statements that belittle other ethnic/national/race groups will cause affront, generally speaking, and that some may even make judgements about her personality.

    I also personally see her as the more ignorant and illiterate of her age group (which could change in the future), because as some posters have indicated, not all young people are like her. In fact, there are many who are not like her.

  10. #280
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    435
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    And the realization that she had put up a picture of herself squinting with the explanation 'Asian face' on Facebook about a year ago indicated that there is an established pattern in her behavior to ridicule 'Asian' faces, accents, etc. as funny and laughable has made the perception of the problem worse.

    All of this does not, in my opinion, indicate that she is a racist. She's just a young girl who didn't get the kind of upbringing to understand that making public statements that belittle other ethnic/national/race groups will cause affront, generally speaking, and that some may even make judgements about her personality.

    I personally see her as the more ignorant and illiterate of her age group (which could change in the future), as some posters have indicated, not all young people are like her. In fact, there are many who are not like her.
    Yes, I felt that "Asian face!" joke was even worse. Didn't someone sit down with her and show her the red line? With so many Asian FS competitors and fans, that asinine attitude needs to change. I know we should separate the talent from the person - speaking for myself, I used to like her skating a lot but feel conflicted after this show of disrespect from her. It's a pity as FS is one of the most enjoyable sports because it is like a mini Olympics each GP with representation from many countries. I like how colorful it is.

  11. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    116
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    I understand the problem is L no R , I heard a lot of times japanese presenters to say "Shizuka ARakawa" and I hear perfectly the R
    OK the problem was L. It's like Mao failed to make difference between two sounds.

    I' sorry that GG is so famous talent that her past comments should be remembered by everyone forever considering she is much much younger than myself. Guess she will be more careful after this.

  12. #282
    Medalist
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    79
    Can I just say that American Politically-Correctness really annoys me...There was nothing racist about that tweet...

  13. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,378
    Quote Originally Posted by TryMeLater View Post
    Can I just say that American Politically-Correctness really annoys me...There was nothing racist about that tweet...
    +1 , only in north american media has she been rabidly attacked

  14. #284
    Custom Title ordinary person's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by hurrah View Post
    And the realization that she had put up a picture of herself squinting with the explanation 'Asian face' on social media about a year ago indicated that there is an established pattern in her behavior to ridicule 'Asian' faces, accents, etc. as funny and laughable has made the perception of the problem worse.

    All of this does not, in my opinion, indicate that she is a racist. She's just a young girl who didn't get the kind of upbringing to understand that making public statements that belittle other ethnic/national/race groups will cause affront, generally speaking, and that some may even make judgements about her personality.

    I also personally see her as the more ignorant and illiterate of her age group (which could change in the future), because as some posters have indicated, not all young people are like her. In fact, there are many who are not like her.
    Wow, i did not know about this but now i'm sure she's a closet racist.
    She always had this kind of witchy look anyways

  15. #285
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,999
    Quote Originally Posted by James R View Post
    ... My defense of Gracie in this thread is based securely in both logic and ethics ....

    ... Mao Asada, in the Shibutanis' video, was making fun of asians who speak English with an accent. ...
    JamesR, your second attempt at revisionist history indicates that you have crossed the line into sheer fiction.

    Now you're saying that in the video from the Shibutanis, Mao Asada was making fun of Asians who have an accent?? You're not going to fool me or anyone else with such utter nonsense.

    Because of your complete separation from reality at this point, I will not waste my time with further responses.

    "Troll" is not a word that I am quick to invoke, but if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then ...

    Mods:
    FWIW, I reluctantly have changed my mind, and would no longer discourage closure of this thread.
    Never did I dream that what previously had been a productive discussion -- with a a range of opinions -- would lead to someone casting false aspersions on Asada, an innocent bystander vis-a-vis Gold's tweeting. Unfortunately, the thread is giving one person with an overactive imagination a place to run amok.

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •