Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

Custom Title
    Blink. Wow. What a stupid stupid tweet. While I understand that Gracie is young and in all probability didn't understand exactly how inappropriate her tweet was, but honestly a part of me will side-eye her for a long time.

What a hoo ha for poor Gracie. Personally, I don't think Gracie meant to be rude or racist considering the fact that she tweeted Mao with their picture. I assume it was a kind of private joke between herself and Mao and other Japanese skaters. Just that it slipped her mind that her every language and move will now be scrutinised or willfully misinterpreted. Welcome to the elite skaters' world.

Rinkside
    Let me speak from a Japanese perspective.

I do not find it offensive at all. It sounds as if she is simply highlighting how distant English Language and Japanese Language are, and how difficult it is for Japanese to learn English. She didn't say anything rude about race.

Additionally, it is very common here to make jokes about weaknesses of others (in a light-hearted and fun way), and in our culture, she hasn't crossed the line.

That's how an average Japanese person would respond to this, I believe.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    For a person who is in the public eye, the original tweet was incredibly stupid and careless. You would think it would be obvious to her by now that anything you put out on your social media is going to be picked apart.

PR aspects aside, what really angers and saddens me about this is, is that this tweet was mean-spirited for the sake of it.

What is the reason for laughing at somebody's accent? Did she think it was clever? Did she think it was funny? Well, it wasn't.

I am extremely disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    What a hoo ha for poor Gracie. Personally, I don't think Gracie meant to be rude or racist considering the fact that she tweeted Mao with their picture. I assume it was a kind of private joke between herself and Mao and other Japanese skaters. Just that it slipped her mind that her every language and move will now be scrutinised or willfully misinterpreted. Welcome to the elite skaters' world.
    She was laughing at somebody who is unable to speak her own language perfectly. What is implicit in that 'joke' is an expectation that everybody else should be able to speak perfect English (because it is the superior language).

Yet somehow I doubt Gold is particularly proficient in Japanese. I wonder how correct her Japanese pronunciation is.

That's what's offensive. Last time I checked colonialism was over. And given US-Japanese history, you'd think you'd tread more carefully. Imagine the reaction if a German skater laughed at a Jewish-Israeli skater's big nose...

just call me K or Art jockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    P.S. I wonder how correct Gold's Japanese pronunciation is.
    I think it could be something like "Gorudu". (no mockery intended)

The things people put into that tweet, people who were not even the target of the supposedly evil mean spirited mockery, and the judgements they pass. It's amazing. It feels so disproportionate, but that's the scourge of the age of twitter and s***storms.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy
    What is implicit in that 'joke' is an expectation that everybody else should be able to speak perfect English (because it is the superior language).
    Way to go labelling her a supremacist.

Sorry to come in late. What exactly did she say? or I shouldn't ask

Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    I think it could be something like "Gorudu". (no mockery intended)
    I didn't ask how her surname is pronounced in Japanese. I wondered how well can Gold speak Japanese and how well she can pronounce Japanese words, given she expects Asada to pronounce English words correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kunstrijdster View Post
    The things people put into that tweet, people who were not even the target of the supposedly evil mean spirited mockery, and the judgements they pass. It's amazing. It feels so disproportionate, but that's the scourge of the age of twitter and s***storms.

Way to go labelling her a supremacist.
    'Oh but it was just a silly joke.'

It's 'innocent jokes' like this that perpetuate this kind of discourse.

Why would you joke about something is a intrinsic part of somebody's identity and that this person has no control over, anyway?

I do agree with what os168d said below that Gold was being more ignorant than malicious but it doesn't make it right.

Custom Title
    Twitter is every press officer's nightmare for their stars and people need to learn to not to put such importance in a tweet. And I don't know... i find people are much too sensitive to the jokes based on racial differences in the US, where as in UK we are more relaxed about it and even joke about it from time to time. I prefer to think it is more of a healthy attitude to acknowledge the differences and poke fun at ourselves. It is all about intention, Gracie is clearly being more ignorant than malicious. It is harmless. Imagine Ally McBeal *anyone remember that show?* put all her crazy ideas into tweets, now I am sure some one somewhere will find some of these tweets offensive without context.

Unfortunately it is just one of those morbid growing pain moments she will need to learn, that most of us (perhaps) all went through when we thought we said something clever, but just came across as crass and we learn to adapt and tries to rectify the situation immediately. It might be share private joke among friends along the same wave length length, but with tweets, it is the whole general public across all sections that need to be considered. Your record can never be removed which is mortifying frankly. How is it different from a criminal record, when you have Uncle Phil playing cop/judge on your tail and even write a national public announcement about your stupidity... lol! Poor thing!

Custom Title
    Well, people are pretty oversensitive. In my opinion, accent really doesn't have much to do with a race in the first place, if anything. Personally, I hate the Finnish accent(I'm Finnish myself) and I don't really see anything bad about making fun of it(Doing so myself all the time). Since when do accents have anything to do with racism? ;S People getting offended for everything these days.

Japenese language actually doesn't have a L sound so it is replaced by R. Some voice actors are able to use L properly but I guess it's pretty difficult for most people, many voice actors still don't / cannot do it. I still don't see how the original tweet actually was offensive - It's just a quote without her own input.

Though, I wonder how you would say sandwritch. I thought the katakana was something like sanduwiichi as that's actually a japanese word they use in daily life(borrowed from English)

I'll try to break the argument down:

If you laugh at somebody's inability to pronounce words correctly in your own language (Gold is US American and a Native English speaker), what is implicit in that joke is an expectation that other people should be able master your own language, even though you don't extend the same expectation the other way. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that Gold can speak Japanese and even if she can say a few words, I highly doubt that she can pronounce them perfectly with a proper Japanese accent. Ergo, what she said was that Japanese people should be able to speak English properly (and if they don't, it's 'funny') even though Native English speakers aren't expected to master Japanese. That's what is offensive.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I'll try to break the argument down:

If you laugh at somebody's inability to pronounce words correctly in your own language (Gold is US American and a Native English speaker), what is implicit in that joke is an expectation that other people should be able master your own language to a high standard, even though you don't extend the same expectation the other way. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that Gracie can speak Japanese and even if she can say a few words, I highly doubt that she can pronounce them perfectly with a proper Japanese accent.

What was implicit in that joke was that Japanese people should be able to speak English properly (and if they don't, it's 'funny') but Native English speakers aren't expected to master Japanese.

The logical conclusion of the above is that Gracie considers English language to be superior to Japanese. That's what is offensive.
    Or she could just be ignorant and found accents in general funny, like when you go to a strange place and people speak differently, that can be cute and funny! It is not necessarily derogatory or mean spirited like how people can find Bart Simpson funny all over the world and put up an accent! (It is certainly not intended to be anti American!)

I recently went to Japan, and I find myself having to put up a Japanese accent when order western food like Hambagaaa with Kechapu, otherwise people don't understand. I do the same when I goto Singapore and call food according to Singaporean accent/Singlish, and I can easily imagine myself in Gracie's shoes tweet something like this to my friends. I call it being localised, it is certainly not meant to be insulting. Problem is with communication, there's intention, and there's receiving/understanding, with tweets there's the judgement on the full ramification of what you might also mean or how it can also be perceived world wide. If I am a public person, I wouldn't tweet. I'd get my lawyers or pr to do it which ironically defies the purpose of tweets.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Youths today just don't understand how to be respectful and sensitive. *sigh*
    It was written at clay plate about 5000 years ago.

Keeper of the Kweens OGM. MK's Winter's Avatar
    I think it was probably an inside joke that had gone bad. I don't think she did it to be malicious. I think she is naive though. If you go on Phil Hersh's twitter feed he did post an article, which was IMHO not necessary. A bunch of Japanese fans did show her some support. I think the apology delay probably came from embarrassment. I think everyone has had an insert foot in mouth moment. This is Gracie's.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu View Post
    Glad to know I was not the only one noticing it. And my mothertongue is not even English.
    Oh, but the rampant misuse of "then" for "than" is yet more egregious! "It's" and "its" have been misused for far longer, but "than" and "then" used to not get confused at all. When did this happen??

Custom Title
    Gracie may have fallen on the ice one time too many. In any case, this kind of thing creates an image that will stay with her and put her even more under the microscope.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast