Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
While we're on the subject of what Asians or Asian-Americans find offensive, I'd just like to say I find Asian accent jokes tiresome but not exactly offensive. I cannot speak for Asians in Asia, but it seems that they are fine with poking fun at common mistakes from English learners.

The absolutely unforgivable part of Gracie's tweet was "it's people" in the apology. If you write an apology, at least take the time to proofread. Is it old-fashioned/sexist to refer to a nation as "she" now? Either way, she could've avoided the mistake by saying "Japan and her people," old-fashioned or not.

Now they are offended by a grammatical oversight. It never ends...

sporkwhatspork

Rinkside
As an Asian-American, I did find that tweet offensive. And not only was it offensive, but it wasn't even a clever joke, either. Making fun of Asian accents is so tired. Come on. Put some effort into it, dang!

It wouldn't surprise me if Japanese people in Japan do not find it as offensive, because, as the dominant group in their country, they do not have as much experience being victims of racism and are therefore probably not as sensitive to it as Asian diaspora (e.g. myself) would be.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Being of Asian descent myself (heck, I was even born on the said continent!), I find it offensive that we crucify people who make these mistakes. Even Mao Asada found it funny. If you look at the original post, Japanese fans were posting that they found it funny, and they understand the joking relationship between Gracie and Mao.

I find that we're making something out of nothing with this incident. If you really want to be offended by something in figure skating, here are plenty of things for you to be offended by:

*Anonymous judging
*PCS inflation
*"Homie" judging by judges from certain countries.
*The fact that skaters of certain ethnic backgrounds, are told to "Europeanize" their skating in order for them to win (Chen Lu? Shen/Zhao?)
*Gay skaters (minus Johnny Weir) being told to keep their sexuality in the closet if they want to win

I could go on and on. There is plenty for people in figure skating to get offended with. This is the least of it.

:agree:

Just curious though, did Mao Asada post something or say something to indicate that she thought it was funny? I saw a lot of comments from fans but not Asada herself.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
While we're on the subject of what Asians or Asian-Americans find offensive, I'd just like to say I find Asian accent jokes tiresome but not exactly offensive. I cannot speak for Asians in Asia, but it seems that they are fine with poking fun at common mistakes from English learners.

The absolutely unforgivable part of Gracie's tweet was "it's people" in the apology. If you write an apology, at least take the time to proofread. Is it old-fashioned/sexist to refer to a nation as "she" now? Either way, she could've avoided the mistake by saying "Japan and her people," old-fashioned or not.

The it/it's thing has given me the crazies ever since I was little. My second grade teacher taught us that the apostrophe shows possession. Such as "The dog wagged it's tail and I played with the dog's tail". I remember even getting it wrong on a test. Obviously my teacher was wrong, but when you are taught something wrong, sometimes it's hard to unlearn an issue when it rears its head. You want to see me go crazy grammar cop, start writing 'could of' or 'should of'. Makes me see red.

Anyway, I wish my life was so uncomplicated and stress free that I could muster up this kind of offense and indignation so easily. Aren't there other things to be upset or worried about than a teen trying an inside joke with good intentions?

rocketry

Rinkside
Love the "sorry you were offended" style apology. She clearly doesn't know why people were offended, but then again, nobody has ever come up to her unsolicited and started faking a horrible Asian accent even though she's been living in the country her whole life just because she looks a certain way.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Her tweets in response to people criticizing her programs were quite bitchy and stupid, too.

In general, stupid and ignorant people are more likely to be racist. This girl is no miss scholar, so I do think she has it in her.

Yes, bullying is ALWAYS a way to show your superiority and higher intelligence. Congratulations.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
:agree:

Just curious though, did Mao Asada post something or say something to indicate that she thought it was funny? I saw a lot of comments from fans but not Asada herself.

Do we need this silly tweet becoming worthy of international media press coverage? Do you think Asada should be bothered by a reporter asking her "Mao, how would you respond to Gracie Gold's tweet about your imperfect English????????" I mean sheesh. They get along, and are friendly. No harm, no foul.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
As a Russian-American, I'm offended by joke by Johnny Weir a long time ago saying his mother-in-law likes to drink vodka; and he imitated his mother-in-law's Russian accent but in inebriated way and holding a half-empty Smirnov bottle. I bet his mother-in-law did not have problem with it because she was there. But I did, even though my favorite drink is Rum (and Coca Cola).

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
If you really want something to be offended by, be offended by the fact that Phil Hersch, who really has no background in skating, is still making money off skating by stirring the pot.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The it/it's thing has given me the crazies ever since I was little. My second grade teacher taught us that the apostrophe shows possession. Such as "The dog wagged it's tail and I played with the dog's tail". I remember even getting it wrong on a test. Obviously my teacher was wrong, but when you are taught something wrong, sometimes it's hard to unlearn an issue when it rears its head. You want to see me go crazy grammar cop, start writing 'could of' or 'should of'. Makes me see red.

Same here!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
As a Russian-American, I'm offended by joke by Johnny Weir a long time ago saying his mother-in-law likes to drink vodka; and he imitated his mother-in-law's Russian accent but in inebriated way and holding a half-empty Smirnov bottle. I bet his mother-in-law did not have problem with it because she was there. But I did, even though my favorite drink is Rum (and Coca Cola).

Why were you offended? His mother-in-law has a Russian accent, and he was saying she likes to drink vodka... so he was pretending to be her. He wasn't saying all Russians get drunk off vodka... clearly, some prefer doing so with rum. ;)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And regarding it's/its, I don't think how Gracie's apology was spelled delegitimizes it. Whoa, a lack of an apostrophe - the sheer insincerity!

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
Why were you offended? His mother-in-law has a Russian accent, and he was saying she likes to drink vodka... so he was pretending to be her. He wasn't saying all Russians get drunk off vodka... clearly, some prefer doing so with rum. ;)

Hey! I don't mind Russian accent, I minded him playing drunk. (I used to be alcoholic.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Do we need this silly tweet becoming worthy of international media press coverage? Do you think Asada should be bothered by a reporter asking her "Mao, how would you respond to Gracie Gold's tweet about your imperfect English????????" I mean sheesh. They get along, and are friendly. No harm, no foul.

No that is not what I was saying at all.

In fact, we're on the same viewpoint on this LiamForeman! I agree there was a lot of overreaction.

My question was in reference to bluedog's point that "Even Mao Asada thought it was funny." So I was wondering what she was referring to.

CarneAsada

Medalist
And regarding it's/its, I don't think how Gracie's apology was spelled delegitimizes it. Whoa, a lack of an apostrophe - the sheer insincerity!

It may not be insincere, but it is certainly careless. Careless, just like her original tweet. Too bad she hasn't learned from her previous mistakes to be more careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.