Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold Apologizes for Racially Insensitive Tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
'Intelligence' as conceptualized by most is actually education. This is doubly true for you, who thinks intelligence is measured by big words known. You were not born knowing all those big words, and believe you me, anyone with normal or slightly below normal IQ with the time and energy could learn them and learn to use them correctly.

I don't want this to disintegrate into a personal attack, but it is impossible to believe you are for real.

Wow, rank subjectivism combined with stark anti-intellectualism! that is a personal attack.

noidont

Final Flight
No, I am smart by proxy. I was inborn with it. No, I believe a SAT test is multiple choice, my erudition goes beyond that; it is all encompassing, the integral whole, ethereal. It is a vocation,r eally. As the ole saying goes, Much is given much is expected.

Surely surely. As the celestial perspective displays in elaboration, a fully encompassed erudite is an infinitesimal dot like any other. It's entirely tragic, as the Spanish saying goes, "Quieres que te quieres mas?"

Sorry. Oh I'm Chinese. Some of those words could be unapologetically wrong.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Wow, rank subjectivism combined with stark anti-intellectualism! that is a personal attack.

Anti-intellectualism is hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible

How did I express that by saying anyone can learn big words? To me that is a celebration of intellectual pursuits and intellectuals, all of whom learn things (whether words or others) over time. I don't see how I derided education by saying, essentially, anyone can learn words through education. To the contrary, I am saying education is the key to intelligence IMO.

Also, if you saw my resume or CV, you'd probably pretty much drop dead from shock over how much education I've gotten. To think I am anti intellectual based either on my comments, my behavior on the boards or elsewhere, or my life is kind of... bizarre.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
Anti-intellectualism is hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible

How did I express that by saying anyone can learn big words? To me that is a celebration of intellectual pursuits and intellectuals, all of whom learn things (whether words or others) over time. I don't see how I derided education by saying, essentially, anyone can learn words through education. To the contrary, I am saying education is the key to intelligence IMO.

Also, if you saw my resume or CV, you'd probably pretty much drop dead from shock over how much education I've gotten. To think I am anti intellectual based either on my comments, my behavior on the boards or elsewhere, or my life is kind of... bizarre.

Then why are you fighting me? You should be supporting me.

AllYouDoIsTalk

Match Penalty
Surely surely. As the celestial perspective displays in elaboration, a fully encompassed erudite is an infinitesimal dot like any other. It's entirely tragic, as the Spanish saying goes, "Quieres que te quieres mas?"

Sorry. Oh I'm Chinese. Some of those words could be unapologetically wrong.

I don't read Spanish, nor Chinese. But when I do, I'll let you know what I think, okay?

Kelly

On the Ice
When I first knew about Gracie's original tweet, I thought she made a stupid mistake but definitely not malicious and disrespectful. But now after reading some of the posts (too many for me to catch up), it occurs to me maybe she tweeted because she thought Mao's pronunciation was cute. Anyway She apologized and learned that words can be taken completely different from your intention.

Sara

On the Ice
First of all, I'd like to start by apologizing for the mistakes I make when writing in English, it's not my mother tongue :rolleye: :laugh: This thread is hilarious. I do agree that it is important to be careful when using twitter 'cos very often people can misinterpret what you write. I think Gracie's tweet was meant to be a joke, addressed not only to Mao but to all skaters who were present in NHK. Many of them also participated in the ICE show were they shot the ShibSibs video (btw, if you haven't seen it, check it out, it's great!!) I find it strange that so many think Gracie's tweet was malicious and racist... Yes, it was a bit silly from her part but come on, it was not racist or offensive by any means.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I don't read Spanish, nor Chinese. But when I do, I'll let you know what I think, okay?

Really? Surely, fluency in foreign languages - much like vocabulary - is an ethereal part of the integral erudition that you were inborn with via proxy, rather than something you acquire? I'm surprised you don't speak every language!

On second thought, perhaps you should continue to spew your bombastic, garrulous tripe. At the least, it's entertaining... even if us uncultured peasants are incapable of deciphering such brilliantly cogent thoughts! :sarcasm:

tulosai

Record Breaker
Really? Surely, fluency in foreign languages - much like vocabulary - is an ethereal part of the integral erudition that you were inborn with via proxy, rather than something you acquire? I'm surprised you don't speak every language!

On second thought, perhaps you should continue to spew your bombastic, garrulous tripe. At the least, it's entertaining... even if us uncultured peasants are incapable of deciphering such brilliantly cogent thoughts! :sarcasm:

I like you.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For the record I "only" have a bachelor's degree, like concise writing and do not need to write a lot of big words. I think I turned out OK. ;)

That said, I like Hemingway AND Faulkner, two authors with VERY different writing styles. So I think a wide variety of vernacular could co-exist on this forum :)

Also protip: If you're going to bring an athlete to task, make sure you got the corret Twitter handle (Not related to the Gracie situation, but just another example of Twitter relations gone bad):

http://mashable.com/2013/11/11/twit...campaign=Mash-Prod-RSS-Feedburner-All-Partial

Also, I appreciated this tweet from Jonathan Martin, NYT writer with the same name as the pro NFL star that was getting flammed:

Total strangers berating a pro athlete from behind safety of a computer screen. Really is something.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Uh, what? Why is she carrying her transcripts around for random people to see? Who does that?

Had just gotten her grades and was comparing with the other girls at the rink who had just gotten theirs like most kids do. Many of the kids at her old rink (where I skate) are very book smart and I suspect they were competing on # of A's in upper level classes like they do on # of triples landed. :laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
:laugh: Now this debate' is getting too hard for me to follow. :biggrin:

I propose the next round be battled out Twitter style, with limited number of words per shot, in accordance with the origin of this thread as well as for the benefits of us ignoramuses.

Lest it seems unfair to AUDIT, let me point out the advantage of big words in such a restrictive format. After all there are more than one way to be verbose.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I didnt think it was such a big deal, especially cause it looked like it was intended well with ther instagram and all, also I m fine with people not having a native's accent and be teased about, like me, I dont know why people got mad about it.

volk

Final Flight
Americans are so paranoid about political correctness. I don't think the tweet was a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.