Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix

Banned

Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix

not surprising:
    http://en.rsport.ru/olympics/20131113/700869490.html

I think his last competition will either be in National or Europeans but he will not compete in both for sure
    I think he will get a bye for Nationals and skate in Europeans

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    How many slots at Europeans does Russian have this season?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    How many slots at Europeans does Russian have this season?
    For the Men's event? Russia should have 3 spots. IIRC, Voronov was 7th and Kovtun was 5th. I think they have three spots for all of the events.

Custom Title
    I'm not surprised by his withdrawal, as I am sure he needs additional time to recover. I hope he is able to peak in Sochi and find his best form for the Olympics.

Well, this was unexpected

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Russia has 3 spots for men.
    Last comment from article
    He must still formally qualify through either the Russian national championships in December or the European championships in January.
    Host nation Russia only has one spot in Sochi. Plushenko has growing competition for that place including from up-and-coming skater Maxim Kovtun. Kovtun, 18, finished second behind Chinese sensation Han Yan at the Cup of China earlier this month.
    Technically he does not have to qualify formally for Olympics, he has the technical score to enter the Olympics, through the qualifying procedure of its country, whatever that will be. The way it is put it is like he is not formally eligible to go there if he doesnt participate in these competitions.
    And they prepare Kovtun as the heir pretty well.

can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I'm not surprised by his withdrawal, as I am sure he needs additional time to recover. I hope he is able to peak in Sochi and find his best form for the Olympics.
    Hear, hear.

Custom Title
    I am not totally surprised by the withdrawl. I still believe he legitimately is trying to come back but that's just me. However, I am not sure how genuine Evan's comeback is or rather realistic. that is odd because Plushy is older and his body is far more beaten but you sense he really is trying and might do it.

Custom Title
    That's unfortunate to hear about his withdrawal... especially after performing well at the Volvo Cup.

I would have loved to see him go head to head with Kovtun before Russian Nationals. Although with Machida and Fernandez competing his chances of winning would have been difficult even if he beat Kovtun.

I really hope that he competes at Russian Nationals... it would be hugely unfair if he were given a bye to Europeans without actually defeating Kovtun/Menshov/Voronov/etc. this year. He will have to compete at Europeans and get his programs in front of ISU judges though if he wants to do even reasonably well in Sochi.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    That's a shame. So have ANY comebacks actually been successful this season? Plushenko's is the one comeback I believe will happen come hell or high water. It's his home country and absolutely his last chance. Let's hope it works out for him, but yeah, if he misses Nationals, it wouldn't be fair. The other guys have been out there the last many seasons. Interesting...

Custom Title
    So far Plushenko's is the most successful in that his jumping has been to form, but as far as actually competing on the international scene against the big guns, he has yet to do that. He certainly is making the most gains and is the most committed of anyone that's come back (thought some we have yet to see). I'd say Ando is also doing a pretty great job at coming back considering having a baby, unfortunately the depth in her country will almost assure that she doesn't make it to the Olympics.

It's too bad but not surprizing.

Custom Title
    I truly believe both Plushenko (and Evan) want to come back but their bodies have different plans. They are more determined than I would ever be because I think I would have gotten the message and let it go.

Russia has 1 spot for the Olympics, right?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I truly believe both Plushenko (and Evan) want to come back but their bodies have different plans.
    One difference between their comebacks is that we've seen Plushenko landing some of his most difficult jumps in practice, whereas I haven't seen any recent video of Evan doing the most difficult jumps that he is capable of (although admittedly I haven't searched for Evan videos).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    One difference between their comebacks is that we've seen Plushenko landing some of his most difficult jumps in practice, whereas I haven't seen any recent video of Evan doing the most difficult jumps that he is capable of (although admittedly I haven't searched for Evan videos).
    True...and Plushenko has competed. I just think both are trying. I have to admit that I'm not exactly searching for Evan videos either.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast