Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix

yaya124

On the Ice
I don't think he would have planned tripling a quad.

But does anyone attribute his 'tripled' quad to his injury? Sure this is his first competition after his surgery so he is not really that sharp, don't you agree with that? Can we just say that he tripled a quad because he is not in his top form?

As for Euro, we argued enough and you still think that his fall has nothing to do with his injury because he said in one interview so. Even though in other interviews he said he could not feel his leg, etc.. To be honest, you seems a reasonable enough guy in other posts but you just cannot accept Plushenko's fall on 3A at EURO was due to injury and his withdrawn later was because he simply could not compete with such injury. You took whatever suits your argument and conveniently drops others. I do not understand the logic.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I found these two clips 1 2 on his training, I think he will have a show in Sochi and cant wait to see it.
It is true though he does less lots of times in actual competition, I like the step sequence, and especially the spiral part. I like the training probably more than Volvo Cup :D

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But does anyone attribute his 'tripled' quad to his injury? Sure this is his first competition after his surgery so he is not really that sharp, don't you agree with that? Can we just say that he tripled a quad because he is not in his top form? .

Okay, so then you agree that at Skate Canada's SP the main reason Chan tripled his quad was because he wasn't in top form. But at TEB he was in top form, so he was able to execute a flawless SP with a quad. :)

Plushenko's comeback is incredible and his recovery is noted, but he should be held to a standard that other skaters are when it comes to pointing out actual mistakes. Like, how much time should Plushenko be given to recover before we can actually start distinguishing his legitimate errors from errors attributed to not being in top form? I can practically see "the reason he made errors/didn't medal in Sochi is because he wasn't healthy enough after all." posts starting to be drafted. :sarcasm:

ciocio

On the Ice
Due to not being in top form, due it being planned as a double, or due to him legitimately making an error?

I believe it was an error due to lack of focus. He said he wanted to compete at the Volvo Cup not only to get the score but also to get use to competitions.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plushenko frequently doubles his last jumping pass especially when he doesnt have pressure to win or something. Even in Olys 2006. Either due to lack of focus or tiredeness, I dont think he doubles a salcow due to injury or no preparation. That goes for most skaters.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of all his jumps Plushy's always had the most trouble with the Salchow. Even at his peak he was swinging it a lot and doubling it every now and again.

I mean, I don't blame him, the Salchow is the most Evil Jump Ever Invented, but it is weird.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I can practically see "the reason he made errors/didn't medal in Sochi is because he wasn't healthy enough after all." posts starting to be drafted. :sarcasm:
You are wrong..He said he will go to Sochi if he will be in very good shape..if he will able to skate on both competitions..

Due to not being in top form, due it being planned as a double, or due to him legitimately making an error?

That was an error. Plushy said in an interview. ;)

Of all his jumps Plushy's always had the most trouble with the Salchow. Even at his peak he was swinging it a lot and doubling it every now and again.

Yes, he did it not once, but Mishin and a young skater of Mishin's team said Plushy has 4S. I can't wait to see it...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Well, if Mishin and one of Mishin's team say it, then it must be true! ;)

You are wrong..He said he will go to Sochi if he will be in very good shape..if he will able to skate on both competitions..

Okay. But if he goes to Sochi and happens to perform poorly with errors like the tripled quad or 2S, I would hope that people don't chalk that up to him not being healthy enough.

It's so weird that two of the best jumpers ever, Plushenko and Asada, have trouble with their triple salchows (one of the easier jumps). :confused:

I would love for Evgeni to land a 4S though in Sochi... after coming back from injury in the final stages of your career, and landing 4S for the first time in competition (and 3 quads in competition for the first time) for him would be surreal.

gmyers

Record Breaker

Okay. But if he goes to Sochi and happens to perform poorly with errors like the tripled quad or 2S, I would hope that people don't chalk that up to him not being healthy enough.

It's so weird that two of the best jumpers ever, Plushenko and Asada, have trouble with their triple salchows (one of the easier jumps). :confused:

I would love for Evgeni to land a 4S though in Sochi... after coming back from injury in the final stages of your career, and landing 4S for the first time in competition (and 3 quads in competition for the first time) for him would be surreal.

If he makes all those mistakes in the future it might be because of injury! I said I didn't all the doubles in the past were because injury. His double Turin and his double in COR 2009 I don't believe were injury related. He blamed his tripled quad in 2010 Russian nationals on the ice. But in the future I don't know what's because of injury!

I just don't want to hear like you don't want to hear any mistake is injury related that him not competing at all is because of fear of not medaling at all! That's what I don't want to hear!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Eh, you are so annoying CSG! I don't believe that you don't understand.. I would like to see any other skater, who can do it, what Plushy did in Riga. He didn't compete for 10 month.. For ex Chan at SC or Fernadez at NHK had worse TES than Plushy, despite their had no surgery.. But I finish this pointless debate.

seniorita

Record Breaker
If Plushenko skates with no errors or multiple errors , no fall or ten falls in Sochi, whats the point of why he did so, it will be his last ever competition and will close his carreer at the Olympic Games of his country, who cares if he doubles the salcow there.
I only hope he would go there.

whitebamboo

On the Ice

I don't get it, why are you so bent on deciding right now what would be the causes of a possible hypothetical situation in the future? And who are you to say what other people should--in the future--think in case of that possible hypothetical situation in the future?

P. S. I rather doubt that he'll do three quads in the LP. Because that is what you mean by "3 quads in competition for the first time", right?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Some have noted that he plans a 4S and two 4Ts, so that's what I'm referring to.

The hypothetical situation in the future is based off the comments people are making now. I don't think any skater would ever want to use injury as a crutch, so I for one find it annoying that fans do so. When Chan or Kostner falls, nobody says it's due to injury, or blames the ice. I'm suggesting that people objectively treat all skaters with the same standard. Just because a skater has had surgeries and was amazingly consistent in the past doesn't make them immune to criticism now. I'm glad people are saying the 2S was an error, but not everyone is saying the tripled quad is. Like I said, if I suggested that Chan's tripled quad in his Skate Canada SP was because he wasn't in top shape, people would be all over me. Some skaters have off days or they completely mess up the timing going into their jumps, thus tripling them. Even somebody as consistent in the past as Plushenko doesn't always maintain that consistency, especially with an older body that's gone through surgeries.

If Plushenko triples a quad, I firmly believe that it's because he made an error just like any other male skater who tripled a quad. If he was truly injured to the point at being unable to execute a quad or 3-3, then he wouldn't have done one the day after at Volvo. When Elvis started missing quads and axels towards the end of his amateur career, nobody ever said "Oh, that's just due to his injury, since he's easily landed them with great consistency in the past". I acknowledge injury is a factor, but it's not an excuse.

whitebamboo

On the Ice
Some have noted that he plans a 4S and two 4Ts, so that's what I'm referring to.

The hypothetical situation in the future is based off the comments people are making now. I don't think any skater would ever want to use injury as a crutch, so I for one find it annoying that fans do so. When Chan or Kostner falls, nobody says it's due to injury, or blames the ice. I'm suggesting that people objectively treat all skaters with the same standard. Just because a skater has had surgeries and was amazingly consistent in the past doesn't make them immune to criticism now. I'm glad people are saying the 2S was an error, but not everyone is saying the tripled quad is. Like I said, if I suggested that Chan's tripled quad in his Skate Canada SP was because he wasn't in top shape, people would be all over me. Some skaters have off days or they completely mess up the timing going into their jumps, thus tripling them. Even somebody as consistent in the past as Plushenko doesn't always maintain that consistency, especially with an older body that's gone through surgeries.

If Plushenko triples a quad, I firmly believe that it's because he made an error just like any other male skater who tripled a quad. If he was truly injured to the point at being unable to execute a quad or 3-3, then he wouldn't have done one the day after at Volvo. When Elvis started missing quads and axels towards the end of his amateur career, nobody ever said "Oh, that's just due to his injury, since he's easily landed them with great consistency in the past". I acknowledge injury is a factor, but it's not an excuse.

May I ask you to stop trying to bait-and-switch between different situations (e. g. 2013 Euros and Volvo Cup), or trying to set up strawmen (despite the fact that people have already pointed them out several times already)? Injuries affect a skater's condition to various extents at different times, so sometimes it is reasonable to surmise that a mistake was in large part due to injury, sometimes it isn't. And I don't know where you get your crystal ball so that you can determine what causes and effects occur in the hypothetical future.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't get it, why are you so bent on deciding right now what would be the causes of a possible hypothetical situation in the future? And who are you to say what other people should--in the future--think in case of that possible hypothetical situation in the future?

P. S. I rather doubt that he'll do three quads in the LP. Because that is what you mean by "3 quads in competition for the first time", right?

I agree. I will use the evidence at the time to decide whether or not a jump error was a mistake or because of injury. Not say now if he doubles a triple or falls it was because he had a lapse In focus or like euros 2013 he lost feeling in his leg.

seniorita

Record Breaker
He could also maybe make an error because of the ghost of Ulrich Salchow sweeping the arena upside down chasing him for all the doubled Salchows he has ever done.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
May I ask you to stop trying to bait-and-switch between different situations (e. g. 2013 Euros and Volvo Cup), or trying to set up strawmen (despite the fact that people have already pointed them out several times already)? Injuries affect a skater's condition to various extents at different times, so sometimes it is reasonable to surmise that a mistake was in large part due to injury, sometimes it isn't. And I don't know where you get your crystal ball so that you can determine what causes and effects occur in the hypothetical future.

Note my use of conditionals... "But if he goes to Sochi and happens to perform poorly with errors like the tripled quad or 2S, I would hope that people don't chalk that up to him not being healthy enough." I never said anything will happen or not happen. But given the past comments made when Plushenko has made errors, the sentiment seems to be that he wasn't healthy enough to avoid errors - some practically implying it's inconceivable to make errors now based on his stellar consistency from years ago. However when other skaters make errors, people attribute that to the skater being at fault since they have no injury to use as reason for their errors. My sentiment extends to fans of all skaters, not just Plushenko. When a skater does well, give kudos to them. When they do poorly, maybe accept that they did poorly instead of trying to justify the poor performance.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree. I will use the evidence at the time to decide whether or not a jump error was a mistake or because of injury. Not say now if he doubles a triple or falls it was because he had a lapse In focus or like euros 2013 he lost feeling in his leg.

My question is: while in one post-Euros interview he says he made a mistake on the jump and explicitly said it wasn't due to his injury and might have rushed the timing of the jump, you dismiss that. But when he said he lost feeling in his leg, all of a sudden what he says is now legit to you? Obviously the latter fits more in line with this paradigm that you and his ubers view him as, and thus you dismiss the probability of him making an error on the jump even when he himself admits it. :unsure:

I don't really see what the argument is about. When you are battling injuries you make more mistakes.