Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix | Golden Skate

Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm not surprised by his withdrawal, as I am sure he needs additional time to recover. I hope he is able to peak in Sochi and find his best form for the Olympics.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Russia has 3 spots for men.
Last comment from article
He must still formally qualify through either the Russian national championships in December or the European championships in January.
Host nation Russia only has one spot in Sochi. Plushenko has growing competition for that place including from up-and-coming skater Maxim Kovtun. Kovtun, 18, finished second behind Chinese sensation Han Yan at the Cup of China earlier this month.

Technically he does not have to qualify formally for Olympics, he has the technical score to enter the Olympics, through the qualifying procedure of its country, whatever that will be. The way it is put it is like he is not formally eligible to go there if he doesnt participate in these competitions.
And they prepare Kovtun as the heir pretty well.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not totally surprised by the withdrawl. I still believe he legitimately is trying to come back but that's just me. However, I am not sure how genuine Evan's comeback is or rather realistic. that is odd because Plushy is older and his body is far more beaten but you sense he really is trying and might do it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
That's unfortunate to hear about his withdrawal... especially after performing well at the Volvo Cup.

I would have loved to see him go head to head with Kovtun before Russian Nationals. Although with Machida and Fernandez competing his chances of winning would have been difficult even if he beat Kovtun.

I really hope that he competes at Russian Nationals... it would be hugely unfair if he were given a bye to Europeans without actually defeating Kovtun/Menshov/Voronov/etc. this year. He will have to compete at Europeans and get his programs in front of ISU judges though if he wants to do even reasonably well in Sochi.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
That's a shame. So have ANY comebacks actually been successful this season? Plushenko's is the one comeback I believe will happen come hell or high water. It's his home country and absolutely his last chance. Let's hope it works out for him, but yeah, if he misses Nationals, it wouldn't be fair. The other guys have been out there the last many seasons. Interesting...

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
So far Plushenko's is the most successful in that his jumping has been to form, but as far as actually competing on the international scene against the big guns, he has yet to do that. He certainly is making the most gains and is the most committed of anyone that's come back (thought some we have yet to see). I'd say Ando is also doing a pretty great job at coming back considering having a baby, unfortunately the depth in her country will almost assure that she doesn't make it to the Olympics.

lavender

Record Breaker
I truly believe both Plushenko (and Evan) want to come back but their bodies have different plans. They are more determined than I would ever be because I think I would have gotten the message and let it go.

Russia has 1 spot for the Olympics, right?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I truly believe both Plushenko (and Evan) want to come back but their bodies have different plans.

One difference between their comebacks is that we've seen Plushenko landing some of his most difficult jumps in practice, whereas I haven't seen any recent video of Evan doing the most difficult jumps that he is capable of (although admittedly I haven't searched for Evan videos).

lavender

Record Breaker
One difference between their comebacks is that we've seen Plushenko landing some of his most difficult jumps in practice, whereas I haven't seen any recent video of Evan doing the most difficult jumps that he is capable of (although admittedly I haven't searched for Evan videos).

True...and Plushenko has competed. I just think both are trying. I have to admit that I'm not exactly searching for Evan videos either.:)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
True...and Plushenko has competed. I just think both are trying. I have to admit that I'm not exactly searching for Evan videos either.:)

I'd imagine if Evan was even close to landing his jumps, videos would show up on the internet.

Icey

Record Breaker
What if the same thing happens at the Olympics where he will be skating a more difficult program: he's injured during the short program or practice (shades of Kwan) and can't continue. I believe this is the second time this kind of thing has happened to him in recent years. Too much of a gamble imo

sarahspins

Rinkside
I'd imagine if Evan was even close to landing his jumps, videos would show up on the internet.

Agreed - even Johnny Weir posted some impressive jump videos on instagram only a few days before he officially announced his retirement. If there were any videos of Evan to be seen, we'd be seeing them... the fact that we're not says a lot I think.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Russian nationals means nothing. Plushenko could get the third "for anyone based on anything spot" and be like kovtun and if he placed first at euros olympics he goes! They made the kovtun rule and plushenko will benefit. If he doesn't do nationals. I opposed kovtun and he was a disaster at worlds but since the rule exist and wasn't abolished plushenko may seek to to benefit like i think once in the past

jaylee

Medalist

I noticed footage of Evan jumping in this Fox News interview with Michelle Kwan. I don't know when it was taken (before or after the injury that caused his Skate America withdrawal?), but it doesn't appear to be archival footage. It looks relatively new. He's practicing new combos that he hasn't done in the past that I can recall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSB_g-qfPM