Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    True...and Plushenko has competed. I just think both are trying. I have to admit that I'm not exactly searching for Evan videos either.
    I'd imagine if Evan was even close to landing his jumps, videos would show up on the internet.

Custom Title
    What if the same thing happens at the Olympics where he will be skating a more difficult program: he's injured during the short program or practice (shades of Kwan) and can't continue. I believe this is the second time this kind of thing has happened to him in recent years. Too much of a gamble imo

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    I'd imagine if Evan was even close to landing his jumps, videos would show up on the internet.
    Agreed - even Johnny Weir posted some impressive jump videos on instagram only a few days before he officially announced his retirement. If there were any videos of Evan to be seen, we'd be seeing them... the fact that we're not says a lot I think.

Custom Title
    Russian nationals means nothing. Plushenko could get the third "for anyone based on anything spot" and be like kovtun and if he placed first at euros olympics he goes! They made the kovtun rule and plushenko will benefit. If he doesn't do nationals. I opposed kovtun and he was a disaster at worlds but since the rule exist and wasn't abolished plushenko may seek to to benefit like i think once in the past

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    One difference between their comebacks is that we've seen Plushenko landing some of his most difficult jumps in practice, whereas I haven't seen any recent video of Evan doing the most difficult jumps that he is capable of (although admittedly I haven't searched for Evan videos).
    I noticed footage of Evan jumping in this Fox News interview with Michelle Kwan. I don't know when it was taken (before or after the injury that caused his Skate America withdrawal?), but it doesn't appear to be archival footage. It looks relatively new. He's practicing new combos that he hasn't done in the past that I can recall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSB_g-qfPM

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Let's hope it works out for him, but yeah, if he misses Nationals, it wouldn't be fair. The other guys have been out there the last many seasons. Interesting...
    Plushenko is the 2010, 2012 and 2013 National Champion, on top of 2012 Euro Champion, he was absent on 2011, so regarding competition in his own country, the other Russian skaters had just to step up and take advantage of his age/injuries and they havent.

Custom Title
    My hunch tells me he won't compete in Sochi at all. How many comebacks have worked out in the history, especially for those who don't show up at all at any major competition before Olympics. Yuna Kim is a real legend.

Custom Title
    Not looking so there's that.

Custom Title
    We are talking about a guy who's practically held together with string and sticky tape at this point. If he feels even the slightest twinge out of place I am not surprised they'd panic and pull him from CoR.

I think he will go to Nationals. He wants his eleventh National title. And he will need to go to Euros to make his selection for the Olys over anyone else valid. Plus, he probably wants a crack at his ninth Euros title.

I hope Menshov gets the nod for CoR to replace him - and I would love to see both him and Gachinski beat Kovtun. They both have before. (And I would like to see Farris beat Kovtun too, but that's just a given).

Custom Title
    This is Evgeni Plushenko we are talking about. I expect him to shock us with a high score at the Olympics. I do not think he is good enough to medal but if there is an "old dinosaur' capable of Rocky-like comebacks it certainly would be Plushenko.

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    I noticed footage of Evan jumping in this Fox News interview with Michelle Kwan. I don't know when it was taken (before or after the injury that caused his Skate America withdrawal?), but it doesn't appear to be archival footage. It looks relatively new. He's practicing new combos that he hasn't done in the past that I can recall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSSB_g-qfPM
    Wow thank you for this! I hadn't seen it before! It was great to see Michelle again (and she's quite good imo conducting the interview!). Evan is intense and no-nonsense when it comes to his training. That much is clear. I hope he makes it to Nationals but sadly with recurring injuries I just don't see it happening. I'd love for him to prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by prettykeys View Post
    Hear, hear.
    ITA. I was looking forward to seeing his performance, whether or not he could still jump. He is the face of Russian skating for so long. good luck plushy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Wow thank you for this! I hadn't seen it before! It was great to see Michelle again (and she's quite good imo conducting the interview!). Evan is intense and no-nonsense when it comes to his training. That much is clear. I hope he makes it to Nationals but sadly with recurring injuries I just don't see it happening. I'd love for him to prove me wrong.
    Wow MK, major diamonds!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    We are talking about a guy who's practically held together with string and sticky tape at this point. If he feels even the slightest twinge out of place I am not surprised they'd panic and pull him from CoR.

I think he will go to Nationals. He wants his eleventh National title. And he will need to go to Euros to make his selection for the Olys over anyone else valid. Plus, he probably wants a crack at his ninth Euros title.
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    What if the same thing happens at the Olympics where he will be skating a more difficult program: he's injured during the short program or practice (shades of Kwan) and can't continue.
    I think this is a realistic concern. Me too want to see him doing well at Sochi, but I wonder if his knees are sound enough to handle all the scheduled events, the nationals, the europeans and then the team and the singles event at the Olympics.

Custom Title

In the past, Evan rarely posted practice videos on the Internet (last practice video was posted over two years ago) I don't expect that trend to change anytime soon.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast