Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 121

Thread: Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix

  1. #31
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,556
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetskates1 View Post
    I do not think he is good enough to medal but if there is an "old dinosaur' capable of Rocky-like comebacks it certainly would be Plushenko.
    He can do it. There is not a single consistent male skater at the elite level that you can say with any confidence "he will skate a clean program." I understand that programs are more difficult now but if Plushenko lands his jumps (including the quad) the other guys aren't going to be able to fall three times and win. Not in Russia.

  2. #32
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    908
    If Plushenko medals, it would be the single most amazing comeback in figure skating history - it would be incredible and exciting! Let's see what happens, anything is possible, specially when Plushenko is involved.

    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    He can do it. There is not a single consistent male skater at the elite level that you can say with any confidence "he will skate a clean program." I understand that programs are more difficult now but if Plushenko lands his jumps (including the quad) the other guys aren't going to be able to fall three times and win. Not in Russia.

  3. #33
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,032
    I think Plushy is going to need more than just "landing his jumps" - I don't know what his physical state is, I don't know what his mental state is, but there comes a time when every elite athlete has to face the fact that injury and age is piling up against him. I think it would be very sad if he takes the place of another skater and then for whatever reason is unable to complete his programs at the Olympics because of an injury. He's had his Olympics. It's time to move on to the next stage of your life.

  4. #34
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,556
    The Russian men have had plenty of opportunities the past couple of years to claim their spot at the top and have not done so. I'm sure the Russian Olympic Committee wants him on the team as badly as he wants to be out there skating because of his narrative. I don't see him taking the spot unless he's fully healthy, as he has a lot of pride and doesn't want a poor finish.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by hippomoomin View Post
    My hunch tells me he won't compete in Sochi at all. How many comebacks have worked out in the history, especially for those who don't show up at all at any major competition before Olympics. Yuna Kim is a real legend.
    Plushenko did in 2010

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFan66 View Post
    In the past, Evan rarely posted practice videos on the Internet (last practice video was posted over two years ago) I don't expect that trend to change anytime soon.
    Sure, but do you think he will break the trend of pulling out of events with injury issues? I am not sure why but somehow I dno't gt the feeling a lot of us feel Evan is that serious o realistic about a return. Whereas despite the horrible injuries of plushy one still thinks he is trying. Evans attempt is sort of like Suguri's. You wish them well but it doensn't seem very realistic or too genuine in the case of Evan in some ways. But Evan is a cmpeittior so you never can tell.

  7. #37
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Sure, but do you think he will break the trend of pulling out of events with injury issues? I am not sure why but somehow I dno't gt the feeling a lot of us feel Evan is that serious o realistic about a return. Whereas despite the horrible injuries of plushy one still thinks he is trying. Evans attempt is sort of like Suguri's. You wish them well but it doensn't seem very realistic or too genuine in the case of Evan in some ways. But Evan is a cmpeittior so you never can tell.
    Is Evan healthy? This is the most important, he does not need to post videos on Internet.

  8. #38
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    391
    For Plushenko it is all about strategy. He already went out and performed really well for someone in his league and doesn't really need to do anything else until he absolutely has to. That man knows how to throw a punch. The one thing we all know about Plushenko is that he knows how to compete under extreme pressure. Sure, he doesn't do it for me the way Chan or Daisuke may do it.

    All things being equal (Kovtun and Plushenko both deliver clean programs at Russian Nationals) I think Russia will have a tough decision in their hands. Commercially speaking Plushenko is a god and would be a fantastic olympic story to sell. It would be unfair to send Plushenko over Kovtun if Plushenko doesn't deliver at nationals. I would love to see them both at the Olympics, one in the team event and the other in the individual event. After seeing Kovtun compete earlier I suspect that the judges are holding their marks back in anticipation of Plushenko performing. While Plushy skated well at Volvo he was overscored.

  9. #39
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,509
    The question there, MasterB, is of course, what happens if they get a repeat of last Nationals, and Kovtun ends up FIFTH, behind not only Plushenko, but also Voronov, Menshov, and Gachinski?

    I fear Tarasova will play her rubbish politics again, but the fact is, Kovtun got beaten on the Nationals stage by two old men, a skater who had placed 17th at Worlds (hang on, there's irony there), and a skater who was having the worst season imaginable. That's not a good thing. On the international stage, his program scores are barely beating that of a US skater who does not have a quad (Brown). Kovtun is very far from being the saviour of Russian skating.

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post

    I fear Tarasova will play her rubbish politics again, but the fact is, Kovtun got beaten on the Nationals stage by two old men, a skater who had placed 17th at Worlds (hang on, there's irony there), and a skater who was having the worst season imaginable. That's not a good thing. On the international stage, his program scores are barely beating that of a US skater who does not have a quad (Brown). Kovtun is very far from being the saviour of Russian skating.
    I'm afraid that she is already playing them, because it seems that Russia has asked ISU to allow them two skaters for Sochi which is completely unfair. It is obvious to me that Tarasova knows very well that Kovtun won't go if Plushenko is able to skate even a half clean program.

  11. #41
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    165
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post

    Sure, but do you think he will break the trend of pulling out of events with injury issues? I am not sure why but somehow I dno't gt the feeling a lot of us feel Evan is that serious o realistic about a return. Whereas despite the horrible injuries of plushy one still thinks he is trying. Evans attempt is sort of like Suguri's. You wish them well but it doensn't seem very realistic or too genuine in the case of Evan in some ways. But Evan is a cmpeittior so you never can tell.
    If Evan is not healthy enough to compete, it does not mean that he was not serious about competing, or that his effort was less than genuine. Evan recovered from his November 2012 surgery and was skating great this summer. I saw him practice & perform in Sun Valley in July and he looked fully recovered from his surgery. Unfortunately, Evan sustained new injures in August (slight abdominal tear, and a tear in his left hip labrum) Both of those injuries required time off the ice and physical therapy. It is doubtful that he will fully recover in time to compete this season. However, Evan is now back on the ice training. If Evan cannot compete this season, it will not be because of lack of effort or desire.

  12. #42
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,316
    I believe the team event rules are that if you have skaters qualified for the Olympics, one of those skaters must skate the team event for you. Only if you do not have a skater for one of the disciplines can you use a skater who is not competing in one of the disciplines.

    I do wonder whether the following would be legal. Russia has 3 spots in pairs. There is no way that they have 3 pairs that can sweep the podium. How about they put Kovtun with Yuko Kavaguti (however mismatched), and get them out to a Senior B to get a qualifying score, and send them as the third pair in the regular event. Could Kovtun now substitute for Plushenko in the team event?

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I believe the team event rules are that if you have skaters qualified for the Olympics, one of those skaters must skate the team event for you. Only if you do not have a skater for one of the disciplines can you use a skater who is not competing in one of the disciplines.

    I do wonder whether the following would be legal. Russia has 3 spots in pairs. There is no way that they have 3 pairs that can sweep the podium. How about they put Kovtun with Yuko Kavaguti (however mismatched), and get them out to a Senior B to get a qualifying score, and send them as the third pair in the regular event. Could Kovtun now substitute for Plushenko in the team event?
    Jeez. That's one tough road to Sochi. The easier would be what Tarasova is thinking, just ask ISU for another host spot in both team and men's, which is a fantastic idea. It will create a great global controversy over Russia's relentless effort to win medals in their Olympics despite every rule written. Western press gets the Cold War hard-on they are so anticipating. Figure skating will have its first 15 minutes since what, 2002? Then Tarasova also gets her pet Kovtun a treat. Everyone is happy except for maybe Team USA and Team Canada, which is really perfect for the narrative. It isn't like Kovtun is a medal threat to anyone in singles. While we are at it, if Sotnikova doesn't make it, maybe Russia will have three ladies' spots. Awesome....

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,888
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    I'm afraid that she is already playing them, because it seems that Russia has asked ISU to allow them two skaters for Sochi which is completely unfair. It is obvious to me that Tarasova knows very well that Kovtun won't go if Plushenko is able to skate even a half clean program.
    That is absolutely unfair. Japan could send 4 or 5 male skaters but are only able to send 3. It's not the ISU's fault that the Russian fed was stupid for sending Kovtun and it came back to bite them in the end.

  15. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    7,379
    Quote Originally Posted by noidont View Post
    Jeez. That's one tough road to Sochi. The easier would be what Tarasova is thinking, just ask ISU for another host spot in both team and men's, which is a fantastic idea. It will create a great global controversy over Russia's relentless effort to win medals in their Olympics despite every rule written. Western press gets the Cold War hard-on they are so anticipating. Figure skating will have its first 15 minutes since what, 2002? Then Tarasova also gets her pet Kovtun a treat. Everyone is happy except for maybe Team USA and Team Canada, which is really perfect for the narrative. It isn't like Kovtun is a medal threat to anyone in singles. While we are at it, if Sotnikova doesn't make it, maybe Russia will have three ladies' spots. Awesome....

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •