Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by amber68 View Post
    Look at Fernandez. He totally has embraced the American type (posture, choreography, interpretation) and, frankly, I don't like him anymore.
    Fernandez lost his personality and became Orser 2.0. Orser was a great skater but we don't need two Orsers just like we don't need two Plushenkos, Chans (yes, I'm looking at you, Han Yan )

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I don't get why when Plushenko makes mistakes it's because he's not healthy enough, but when other skaters make mistakes they're mistakes.
    A mistake is a mistake, an injury is an injury. You don't need surgeries after a mistake, maybe just a slap from your coach.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    I honestly am a bit confused about Plushenko's comeback so far. I know he has had some injuries that caused him to pull out of some events, but he didn't compete at Worlds or any competitions against non European skaters despite his comeback having started over 2 years ago now. Last year he didn't even finish Europeans, again he might have been injured, but his low short program placing probably had something to do with it. I get the impression he still wants to skate and compete, but doesn't really believe he can compete vs the Japanese men, Chan, or even Fernandez, so is picking and choosing his spots to compete. Will be interesting if he is willing to compete at the Olympics, despite little hope of a medal of any color. His comeback thus far would indicate probably not, and instead he will compete in some exhibition event in Russia around the same time against other Russian skaters who didn't make the Games. I also am a big Plushenko fan, but just calling it like I see it.
    Cannot bother to response on your other comments but just one quick fact correction: Plushenko withdrawn from LAST EC THIS year, not last year. He won last year. And from what you posted here, I do not think you can say you are big plushenko fan. Maybe you were.

Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    Fernandez lost his personality and became Orser 2.0. Orser was a great skater but we don't need two Orsers just like we don't need two Plushenkos, Chans (yes, I'm looking at you, Han Yan )

A mistake is a mistake, an injury is an injury. You don't need surgeries after a mistake, maybe just a slap from your coach.
    And CSG is CSG

~high art~
    Quote Originally Posted by icekiwi View Post
    I agree with CanadianSkaterGuy and a few others on this thread that 'there is no way, if 'legitimate' judging is applied that Plushy's skating & choreography is close to Chan, Hanyu, Daisuke and even jump wise, to the likes of Tatsuki, Han Yan or Fernandez. I have been following this entire series, was a big Plushy fan during his OGM days and have watched his Volvo Cup skate, in all honesty, he is not skating with the speed he used to, entrance into jumps are laboured, the jumps lacked breathe and height, choreography/footwork completely missing, upper body is stiff. I am sorry, PCS of 42.70 is overmarked and really marks given for reputation! Even his SP at Euro Champs 2013 PCS was way overscored. He had 41 fpr PCS, I believe and Florent Amodio had 42 (based on memory), in all honesty his dance moves are no where near the complexity of Florent's. You know what, it is painful watching Plushy skate. It is even more painful, knowing the judges are marking him on reputation and undermarking the better skating /choreography of younger guys just because they haven't garnered a reputation yet!! The only outcry is putting people of watching figure skating beause they know marks are rigged - hence empty stadiums.

I read an article where they interviewed Alexei Yagudin about the upcoming Olympics and his thoughts on Plushy competing. Yagudin said 'Why? Why would he want to do it?' That says it all. All these talk of 'avoiding competitions, allowing the body to heal' is an embarrassment, it says one thing - his body can't do it anymore. If he is a true athlete and confident about his own skating and his programs are competent enough, then he should have the confident to face any competitors. For example,this coming weekend Tropee Eric Bompard - Chan, Han Yan, Yuzuru all thrown together. I wish Plushy would retire graciously with fans retaining great memories of him and not this farce that is forced into our memories!!
    I agree. Does "Russian style" mean lack of choreography?

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    News on his training

Custom Title
    Plushenko might have second thoughts about competing in Sochi after watching what Chan and Hanyu just laid down at TEB.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Plushenko might have second thoughts about competing in Sochi after watching what Chan and Hanyu just laid down at TEB.
    Why? At worst he can still get team medal.

Custom Title
    I believe the military calls this a tactical withdrawal.

Quote Originally Posted by Moment View Post
    I agree. Does "Russian style" mean lack of choreography?
    A lot of the strategies that worked under 6.0 didn't transition (haha!) well into COP. For example, 'the classic Russian setup' involved heavy emoting right in front of the judges during the 6.0. However, this can negatively impact their component scores due to the scoring system's emphasis on speed and seamless transitions.

It could be an institutional problem with the RSF having difficulty teaching young skaters what the COP wants out of skaters. I see someone like Dennis Ten as a skater that has the Russian style in terms of presentation while having programs well-optimized for COP.

in Turin 2006 Sp scores 90.66
    in ECH 2010 91.30
    at Vancouver 90.85
    Ha received lower scores, if he didn't landed in quad or quad combo.

Chan Skate Canada SP 88.10

Plus the Olympics is very special event. Many skater are very nervous. You don't forget Sochi will be his 4th Olympics..

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    And I don't get this. At all. Who are these people? Who will ONLY allow Plushenko's injuries to affect his skating - but NO ONE else's? Do you mean like - ever? So, again, I honestly don't know, don't understand, don't "get" who these people are to whom you refer? So I cannot make sweeping judgements about them, nor will I try to defend them. I can only speak for myself. And to me, what you claim is utterly... bizarre. We discuss injuries and their relation to skaters' performances on a regular basis on this forum, surely?
    Injuries can certainly affect a performance, I'm not denying that. But it seems that Plushenko is held to some standard that if he makes errors then those are automatically chalked up to injury/not being healthy, and if he does well it's in spite of injury. As if it's unimaginable that he could make errors, like any other skater.

I get that his injuries can affect him, but I don't take that into consideration when he skates or when any other injured skater skates. Plenty of skaters skate injured all the time, and if they compete it is because they feel they are capable of performing well. If they make errors, the injury can play a part, but it shouldn't be the fallback excuse.

Also, seniorita, I think he was able to do 3Z-3T in spite of tripling his quad. I believe the SP allows for this, because if any skater triples their 4T, they should still be allowed to do a 3T in combination, if I'm not mistaken.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Plushenko has won COR and GPF multiple times, at this point of his career why even bother Cor, a competition so close to the previous one wouldnt offer him anything in terms of preparation. From 2005 he picked one GP event and that was it.

I dont know if he will compete or medal but I would bet anything that Plushenko wouldnt skate this kind of sp in Sochi
    I think CoR was necessary for him to present his programs to ISU judges and look for any weaknesses in his program, as well as see how receptive they are. He can still do the same at Euros but that's cutting it pretty close to the Olympics. Generally you like to show your programs a few times for judges to warm up to it (and usually your PCS will steadily increase over the season as a result too).

I also think/hope he'll skate a much better SP in Sochi.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Injuries can certainly affect a performance, I'm not denying that. But it seems that Plushenko is held to some standard that if he makes errors then those are automatically chalked up to injury/not being healthy, and if he does well it's in spite of injury. As if it's unimaginable that he could make errors, like any other skater.

I get that his injuries can affect him, but I don't take that into consideration when he skates or when any other injured skater skates. Plenty of skaters skate injured all the time, and if they compete it is because they feel they are capable of performing well. If they make errors, the injury can play a part, but it shouldn't be the fallback excuse.
    It seems, you don't know his career. He won many titles when he was injury. He isn't a cry baby.

Custom Title
    When plushenko doubled or tripled jumps in every competition but the Olympics in the 2009-2010 season I never thought it was because of injury. When he fell on his 3a in the sp at euros 2013 and then almost immediately had spinal disc replacement surgery i do blame injury. Because plushenko falling on 3a or quad toe has historically meant bad injury. Really bad!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    It seems, you don't know his career. He won many titles when he was injury. He isn't a cry baby.
    I wasn't implying that he is. And I'm aware that, like many other skaters, Plushenko has competed while injured and won. I'm saying his ubers are quick to dismiss any mistakes of his as merely due to injury, instead of the accepting the notion that he can make mistakes like any other skater.

Custom Title
    Lol! That's plushenko! So scared of other skaters! So no skating in sochi Russia for plushenko! Chan and hanyu will be there! Incredibly consistent and plushenko like chan and hanyu! Lol!! Sure!!

Custom Title
    I don't think he would back down from Sochi. But with his programs the way they are and with being not fully recovered, and with stiff competition at Cup of Russia, it makes sense for him to withdraw.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast