Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 121

Thread: Plushenko Withdraws from Cup of Russia Grand Prix

  1. #91
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,672
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I wasn't implying that he is. And I'm aware that, like many other skaters, Plushenko has competed while injured and won. I'm saying his ubers are quick to dismiss any mistakes of his as merely due to injury, instead of the accepting the notion that he can make mistakes like any other skater.
    Not true! When someone has spinal disc surgery after an event I can say his problems were because of injury. Not his double lutz at cor 2009 or double in euros 2010 or Turin 2006. Falling on a 3a is astonishingly rare for plushenko! He's not Patrick Chan where you expect it.

  2. #92
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,672
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I don't think he would back down from Sochi. But with his programs the way they are and with being not fully recovered, and with stiff competition at Cup of Russia, it makes sense for him to withdraw.
    I do not get these comments! Olympics has the toughest and is the biggest competition. And that is his goal. So he's avoiding cor because of competition but wants to go to the Olympics?

  3. #93
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,981
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    I do not get these comments! Olympics has the toughest and is the biggest competition. And that is his goal. So he's avoiding cor because of competition but wants to go to the Olympics?
    The Olympics is his goal, where he's putting in all his chips. If he went to Cup of Russia and was defeated by multiple skaters, that would compromise his standing internationally... and nationally, if Kovtun beat him. His programs are still bare bones even if he's landing the jumps and legit ISU judges would flay him in the PCS marks until he gets his choreography up to speed (at least at the level it was in Euros 2012).

  4. #94
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,981
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Not true! When someone has spinal disc surgery after an event I can say his problems were because of injury. Not his double lutz at cor 2009 or double in euros 2010 or Turin 2006. Falling on a 3a is astonishingly rare for plushenko! He's not Patrick Chan where you expect it.
    Um, he himself said that the fall on the 3A in Euros 2013 was not because of injury, and yet his fans were adamant that it was. He was landing triple axels and 3Z-3T in the practices before Euros, so clearly he was still capable of cleanly landing them, even if he was injured.

    Would you say his tripled quad and 3Z-2T at Volvo Cup were due to injury or "legitimate" mistakes?

  5. #95
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I wasn't implying that he is. And I'm aware that, like many other skaters, Plushenko has competed while injured and won. I'm saying his ubers are quick to dismiss any mistakes of his as merely due to injury, instead of the accepting the notion that he can make mistakes like any other skater.
    If you read the thread backwards I think none of his fans implied he doesnt do mistakes, on the contrary I would say. Plushenko did and does mistakes in his programs but this showing was after a spine surgery so I m wondering what exactly people were waiting to see? Yes sure he is not skating like Chan is now and never will but on that account nobody else skates like Chan so whats the point of competing against him? There might be a lot of reasons for Plu to skate in Sochi besides who is capable of what, and the condition of the other skaters should not be his worry now.

    Statistically Plushenko is not falling down just because so it only normal to think he might have issues to fall on a 3axel for example at Euros. This time he did better than Euros so that means their surgery might have been successful. If you see his lp he is happy at the end, meaning this stage of his preparation was good for his team. He is not a seasoned skater and even for them we tend to say Oh they didnt peak at Gp etc, so let Plushenko peak where he wants to. Speaking for myself, I m just not really having to comment on anything , it was clearly a test skate for them, the first after months in a B event.
    Last edited by seniorita; 11-15-2013 at 08:46 PM.

  6. #96
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    If you read the thread backwards I think none of his fans implied he doesnt do mistakes, on the contrary I would say. Plushenko did and does mistakes in his programs but this showing was after a spine surgery so I m wondering what exactly people were waiting to see? Yes sure he is not skating like Chan is now and never will but on that account nobody else skates like Chan so whats the point of competing against him? There might be a lot of reasons for Plu to skate in Sochi besides who is capable of what, and the condition of the other skaters should not be his worry now.

    Statistically Plushenko is not falling down just because so it only normal to think he might have issues to fall on a 3axel for example at Euros. This time he did better than Euros so that means their surgery might have been successful. If you see his lp he is happy at the end, meaning this stage of his preparation was good for his team. He is not a seasoned skater and even for them we tend to say Oh they didnt peak at Gp etc, so let Plushenko peak where he wants to. Speaking for myself, I m just not really having to comment on anything , it was clearly a test skate for them, the first after months in a B event.
    I agree that Plushenko really doesn't need to defend his reputation from anyone, and no fan needs to defend it. His record speaks for itself. Whatever his reasons for going through such a grueling operation and then wanting to train again, let alone skate, I'm willing to watch what he has to show us. Especially because he's skating in his home country, I think it will be a very powerful moment.

  7. #97
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3,672
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Um, he himself said that the fall on the 3A in Euros 2013 was not because of injury, and yet his fans were adamant that it was. He was landing triple axels and 3Z-3T in the practices before Euros, so clearly he was still capable of cleanly landing them, even if he was injured.

    Would you say his tripled quad and 3Z-2T at Volvo Cup were due to injury or "legitimate" mistakes?
    He said it wasn't because of injury but also said something did happen physically during the SP that hurt him. I'll say it again! If someone immediately after withdrawing from an event has spinal disc replacement surgery I think that was largely responsible for the mistakes-probably exclusively responsible.

    Regarding the Volvo competition- Weren't those planned? I wasn't aware they were mistakes.

  8. #98
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,562
    In practice yesterday two videos

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhKl5M4YWcY

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGHNMlb3uPw I think it will be a great program

  9. #99
    Custom Title plushyfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,562
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post

    Regarding the Volvo competition- Weren't those planned? I wasn't aware they were mistakes.
    He doubled the Salchow

  10. #100
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,981
    I don't think he would have planned tripling a quad.

  11. #101
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    I don't think he would have planned tripling a quad.
    But does anyone attribute his 'tripled' quad to his injury? Sure this is his first competition after his surgery so he is not really that sharp, don't you agree with that? Can we just say that he tripled a quad because he is not in his top form?

    As for Euro, we argued enough and you still think that his fall has nothing to do with his injury because he said in one interview so. Even though in other interviews he said he could not feel his leg, etc.. To be honest, you seems a reasonable enough guy in other posts but you just cannot accept Plushenko's fall on 3A at EURO was due to injury and his withdrawn later was because he simply could not compete with such injury. You took whatever suits your argument and conveniently drops others. I do not understand the logic.

  12. #102
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,579
    I found these two clips 1 2 on his training, I think he will have a show in Sochi and cant wait to see it.
    It is true though he does less lots of times in actual competition, I like the step sequence, and especially the spiral part. I like the training probably more than Volvo Cup :D

  13. #103
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,981
    Quote Originally Posted by yaya124 View Post
    But does anyone attribute his 'tripled' quad to his injury? Sure this is his first competition after his surgery so he is not really that sharp, don't you agree with that? Can we just say that he tripled a quad because he is not in his top form? .
    Okay, so then you agree that at Skate Canada's SP the main reason Chan tripled his quad was because he wasn't in top form. But at TEB he was in top form, so he was able to execute a flawless SP with a quad.

    Plushenko's comeback is incredible and his recovery is noted, but he should be held to a standard that other skaters are when it comes to pointing out actual mistakes. Like, how much time should Plushenko be given to recover before we can actually start distinguishing his legitimate errors from errors attributed to not being in top form? I can practically see "the reason he made errors/didn't medal in Sochi is because he wasn't healthy enough after all." posts starting to be drafted.

  14. #104
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,981
    Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    He doubled the Salchow
    Due to not being in top form, due it being planned as a double, or due to him legitimately making an error?

  15. #105
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    384
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Due to not being in top form, due it being planned as a double, or due to him legitimately making an error?
    I believe it was an error due to lack of focus. He said he wanted to compete at the Volvo Cup not only to get the score but also to get use to competitions.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •