What happened to Chock & Bates? | Golden Skate

What happened to Chock & Bates?

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I'm a little shocked at what I am seeing from them this year. Flat. Uninspired. Lackluster. After building such great momentum at the end of last season, they have lost any steam that they had. I don't understand how they would allow themselves to have programs that bad during an Olympic season or someone in their camp to not inform them that they have horrible material. They are in the same boat the Shibutani's were in the past two seasons. Why did they not change those programs after the bad feedback from Finlandia? I was really rooting for this team to make it to the Olympics but I am not so sure anymore. They have let the Shibutani's completely off the hook and Hubbell has a better program. it will be a dog fight just for them to make the Olympic team. And based on the Grand Prix so far, they look to be the odd man out.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm a little shocked at what I am seeing from them this year. Flat. Uninspired. Lackluster. After building such great momentum at the end of last season, they have lost any steam that they had. I don't understand how they would allow themselves to have programs that bad during an Olympic season or someone in their camp to not inform them that they have horrible material. They are in the same boat the Shibutani's were in the past two seasons. Why did they not change those programs after the bad feedback from Finlandia? I was really rooting for this team to make it to the Olympics but I am not so sure anymore. They have let the Shibutani's completely off the hook and Hubbell has a better program. it will be a dog fight just for them to make the Olympic team. And based on the Grand Prix so far, they look to be the odd man out.

I don't think they're doing that bad. They got 93+ in the FD at Cup of China, which for a brief moment was the highest scoring FD between them/Shibs/Hubbell+Donohue before the Shibs scored 94+ at NHK.

And maybe I'm in the minority, but I like their SD.

I think I'd wait until Rostelcom Cup next week before I would make any additional assessment.

Barb

Record Breaker
I liked their FD, but their SP is horrible :disapp:, true, I prefer to wait to Cup of Russia, may be they will improve in this weeks, though I prefer Shibutanis anyday

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
I don't think they're doing that bad. They got 93+ in the FD at Cup of China, which for a brief moment was the highest scoring FD between them/Shibs/Hubbell+Donohue before the Shibs scored 94+ at NHK.

And maybe I'm in the minority, but I like their SD.

I think I'd wait until Rostelcom Cup next week before I would make any additional assessment.

This the issue though.. what if its still awful? (more than likely it will be because they have the same music). Probably too late to change it at this point. Would be awful to miss the team just because of basically picking the wrong music.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This the issue though.. what if its still awful? (more than likely it will be because they have the same music). Probably too late to change it at this point. Would be awful to miss the team just because of basically picking the wrong music.

But they aren't getting lower scores because of the music though. The issue is with the levels and execution of those elements. As long as they get the levels on the Finnstep and other elements, they will be fine. Hubbell and Donohue may have the more likeable program, but they still scored below both the Shibutanis and Chock and Bates in the FD even with a very lenient panel at Skate Canada.

tulosai

Record Breaker
But they aren't getting lower scores because of the music though. The issue is with the levels and execution of those elements. As long as they get the levels on the Finnstep and other elements, they will be fine. Hubbell and Donohue may have the more likeable program, but they still scored below both the Shibutanis and Chock and Bates in the FD even with a very lenient panel at Skate Canada.

However, it is C/B who are more prone to freak mistakes. He fell on the twizzles in one program this year and if I'm not mistaken they badly botched a lift in another.

Either way I am not on boat 'C/B are going down'. I think they've essentially been a lock for an Oly spot since the end of last year and while they have lost their upward momentum I don't think their overall standing has changed- #2 team maybe #3 behind the Shibs at this time. H/D are the team playing catch up from any objective point of view, and I say this :cry: as a huge fan of H/D and as pretty much a hater of C/B and 'meh' about the Shibs person.

I do think C/B have made a huge mistake with the section of their FD where the whole Les Mis cast is singing one day more. The music in that section completely overwhelms them as dancers; they have neither the presence nor the skill to rise above the music, and indeed, I'm not sure any dance team could manage it. If they would change that section and get a little bit more sure on their feet, they'd have pretty much fixed their issues IMO. Their levels are only slightly worse than that Shibs and better than H/D's.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice

Oh yeah I forgot at Skate Canada they were giving away level 4's and +3 GOE to every Tom, Dick and Harry that had on pair of skates that day.

blackswanphoto

On the Ice
However, it is C/B who are more prone to freak mistakes. He fell on the twizzles in one program this year and if I'm not mistaken they badly botched a lift in another.

Either way I am not on boat 'C/B are going down'. I think they've essentially been a lock for an Oly spot since the end of last year and while they have lost their upward momentum I don't think their overall standing has changed- #2 team maybe #3 behind the Shibs at this time. H/D are the team playing catch up from any objective point of view, and I say this :cry: as a huge fan of H/D and as pretty much a hater of C/B and 'meh' about the Shibs person.

I do think C/B have made a huge mistake with the section of their FD where the whole Les Mis cast is singing one day more. The music in that section completely overwhelms them as dancers; they have neither the presence nor the skill to rise above the music, and indeed, I'm not sure any dance team could manage it. If they would change that section and get a little bit more sure on their feet, they'd have pretty much fixed their issues IMO. Their levels are only slightly worse than that Shibs and better than H/D's.

I agree with getting rid of the singing part of the FD. What was they or their team thinking when they let this slide? I'm sorry I would have to question the taste of the whole camp if not one single person caught this and told them to improve it.

bramweld

Record Breaker
Awful programs happened to these good skaters. Just like with B/S. They just have to deal with it. Besides it's just like any other season where a team has to work to get their levels up. The only team that apparently can do no wrong this season is D/W.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am not a fan of C/B but I can honestly say I enjoyed their programs last season, so far this year they have 2 of my least favorite programs. As others have mentioned, their FD music is just so busy. It would improve drastically if they just switched to an instrumental version. What changes they have made for their last GP will be telling as to their mindset I think.

wishonastar

On the Ice
C/B will probably improve on their score at their next GP, as it seems score do seem to go up as the season goes along. I am not a fan of their Les Mis FD either. The music is horrible, and I am just tired of all the Les Mis programs. And all the frantic lifts take away from the actual dance (I feel this about a lot of the lifts now...)

US Nationals will be a great competition for sure. Shib's skated clean (though still not a fan of the MJ free program) at NHK, making the podium. H/D competed three events (Nebelhorn, SA, SC) in a month. H/D lost 2 months training due to her concussion early in the season, definitely has them working to make up lost time. Might have been good for them to get their assignments out of the way. Their programs are wonderful this year, and hopefully they can get their levels up where lacking. Seems all teams having a little trouble hitting the key points in the SD. That may be the deciding factor come Nationals, as they are all close otherwise.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to evan_bates, who graduated from the University of Michigan today. :bow:

Today I proudly became a Michigan alumnus! #forever #GoBlue @uofmichigan

Out here graduating with the MAN! @gallon21 #goblue #mvp

(This post is not an answer to the question in the thread title -- rather some unrelated, but significant, news re Bates. :))