1985 Worlds -- Ladies? | Golden Skate

1985 Worlds -- Ladies?

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
At 1985 worlds, I know that Tiffany was on the verge of taking it but then messed up and Kat won. Does anyone remember the SP, LP and how the ladies event at this worlds played out?

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm relying on personal archives here; I did actually see the final of this on TV but don't remember a lot about it.

This was contested back in the old compolsury figure days. Kira Ivanova (highly overrated 84 Olympic bronze medallist) won them, Chin was 2nd with Witt 3rd.

Witt won the short program, with Chin 2nd and Ivanova overall; the 1-2-3 order remained the same but the 3 were virtually deadlocked going into the free skate.

Witt then won the long program (the performance was described as "dazzling"), received 5 5.9s for artistic impression. Chin fell (only once) to fall to 3rd, with Ivanova finishing 2nd both in the long and overall. If memory serves, Ivanova was dull but clean so if Chin hadn't fallen, she would have won probably the silver. Witt was hard to beat in those days.

I've read somewhere that Witt stood by the rink barrier the whole time Chin was skating her LP in order to kind of psyche her out, but I don't know if this is actually true.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Sorry -- "Ivanova overall" in the 2nd paragraph should read "Ivanova 3rd"; it's early yet and my coffee hasn't kicked in! :)

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Thanks, JonnyCoop. I didn't know anything about the 1985 Worlds except the placements either. I've always heard exceptional things about Tiffany Chin...it is so sad that she never fulfilled her potential. I wish there was a site that had all of this information (the marks, program elements, etc.).