Dance SD - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Dance SD - 2013 Trophee Eric Bompard

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, P/B are sexy and I/K are young and cute. But in comparison, even though they are young agewise, V/M's music and choreography seems more appropriate for a middleaged couple, and they are a tad slow...

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yes, P/B are sexy and I/K are young and cute. But in comparison, even though they are young agewise, V/M's music and choreography seems more appropriate for a middleaged couple, and they are a tad slow...

I don't see that at all. I think V/M's short is very sweeping and romantic this year, full of energy and grace. Also, speed doesn't translate well on the screen. I'd bet money they are considerably faster in person than P/B and I/K.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
P/B are quite a sexy pair... Nathalie especially sold the program. Thought they skated well but were a bit slow.

Yeah, as sexy as they are, I found P/B's SD just didn't do it for me. There were some sloppy handholds and their feet weren't occasionally slightly out of unison, and I agree that they seemed slow. It was never going to happen on home ice, but I actually would have placed I/K ahead of P/B in this segment.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hmm, well, I really loved V/M's short from the start, and it's still wonderful. Nitpick, but for me they need to guard against going overboard with hugely exaggerated facial expressions. They certainly don't need them to convey the mood, even to the top rows. I like the new twizzles, a lot. Smooth and just plain cool.

I/K are growing on me despite Nikita's wildness (in his movements) at times. I find them very enjoyable to watch overall. She is stunning.

nevergonnadance

On the Ice
There is nothing remotely slow about VM. They're the fastest team out there. They cover huge amounts of ice with every stroke.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I can't believe the extreme level changes of I/k! They are close to beating p/b? Am I looking at the right event? Lol.

Ice Diva

On the Ice

:laugh: let's just be honest - you just don't like V/M - and that's your prerogative, but slow -- oh please. Have you seen them live? They're definitely faster than most teams with deep, smooth edges. I think their program is sensational -- the judges obviously thought so too.;)

caitie

Medalist
IA with nevergonnadance that VM looked like the fastest team out on the ice to me today.

There were some sloppy handholds and their feet weren't occasionally slightly out of unison, and I agree that they seemed slow. It was never going to happen on home ice, but I actually would have placed I/K ahead of P/B in this segment.

I have a question. Will the sloppier parts of P/B's skating at the moment improve over the course of the season? At this point it is acceptable to me for even top teams to have some slower, labored moments, to not be in perfect unison, to not be perfectly smooth on lifts, etc. But I read someone say P/B historically don't seem to clean up their skates much, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same (or a different) perspective. Because if that's true, then I think I'm going to have to downgrade them insofar as my expectations for who is going to win bronze will be. IA with everyone else that if this hadn't been on home ice, I'd expected I/K to be in 2nd.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I/K did great. P/B are slow in many parts but polished. I think the scores are fair for both and they are at about the same level. V/M added some wonderful movements and choreographic details. Sometimes, it feels heavy, not airy or easy. I still think they are the favorites, sadly. Really wish D/W alter their SD to make it grander.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

they could look slower than other couples, but they also prove that speed is not everything - that sd is full of little choreographic details which are pefectly matched with the tempo of music, every sections, fasts or slows are presented by them wonderfully in their movements. And that sd is one of the greatest this season in my opinion - great concept, music and choreo which connect some atmosphere of the old-fashioned romance from gold Holywood era films with modern movement, if all the levels will be on, there will be a masterpiece...

a massive improvement from both French and Russian team - that finnstep sections from Elena and Nikita were just flawless - light, bright and so rhytmical...Overall great performance, but they should now work on polishing it, because some of transitions between the elements were too obvious and with no fluidity, and the same as I wrote for Tessa and Scott - if they polish that sd, they will be fantastic. For Nathalie and Fabian - I aprieciate their no-ballroom idea for sd this year and personally I can't imagine them in traditional ballroom quickstep or foxtrot routine like for example Bobrova/Soloviev's sd (it's funny, because in reverse - I can't also see Ekaterina and Dimitri in something modern and sassy like Pechalat/Bourzat sd :), I see that they worked at all the elements and at the overall look of that dance and it paid off.

Like the other users I think it is probably the best GP in ice dance so far - three leading couples were amazing and differed from each other which is a good thing. And now I'm waiting so unpatiently for GPF to see Weaver/Poje, Cappellini/Lanotte and Pechalat/Bourzat at the same competition - it would be an amazing fight, shame that probably Elena/Nikita won't make it...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
IA with nevergonnadance that VM looked like the fastest team out on the ice to me today.

I have a question. Will the sloppier parts of P/B's skating at the moment improve over the course of the season? At this point it is acceptable to me for even top teams to have some slower, labored moments, to not be in perfect unison, to not be perfectly smooth on lifts, etc. But I read someone say P/B historically don't seem to clean up their skates much, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same (or a different) perspective. Because if that's true, then I think I'm going to have to downgrade them insofar as my expectations for who is going to win bronze will be. IA with everyone else that if this hadn't been on home ice, I'd expected I/K to be in 2nd.

I was so impressed by P and B but I would have had I and K gulp ahead of them. They really worked hard and it shows. I wonder if V and M have fixed the lifts in the free dance?

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I was so impressed by P and B but I would have had I and K gulp ahead of them. They really worked hard and it shows. I wonder if V and M have fixed the lifts in the free dance?

I'm wondering about it too...when I watched their sd with changes I started thinking about the possible changes in their fd, I think they changed second rotational lift or the choreographic one at the end or placed the second rotational lift earlier...but we'll see tomorrow

GF2445

Record Breaker
The music cuts of the Tessa and Scott's SD are much better now. The better flow was there.
Love the end of their Non touch footwork- they have got the footwork they needed to get a level 4!
When their twizzles are on, their twizzles are the best
They lost a level on both finnsteps- they need to stay still in the standing stop section of the dance. I'm also not sure if they met the first keypoint in the first section of the finnstep
Wonderful choreography-more closed holds!

I love the lift at the end but I'm sure they can do another lift that would suit the character of the dance better and would still get the same points.

uncchristine99

Rinkside
I like VM's short. I'm not familiar enough with it to know what changes they've made since SC but I do like it better on this outing. I don't think they present the compulsory step very well or maybe I just like the style of the slower sections on them. I think the music is a great choice and showcases their maturity and elegance. Personally, I tend to think of VM as very smooth and lyrical so I don't think they carry off the jaunty Finnstep as well as other teams do (Davis/White, Shibs, Cappelini/Lanotte). However, they do nothing to dock any points so the big scores are totally deserved. I just don't find them as interesting this season... even Pechalt/Bourzat are more interesting this year so that's bit of role reversal for me.

caitie

Medalist
I wonder if V and M have fixed the lifts in the free dance?

Someone who watched the practices yesterday said they had made modifications to the second rotational lift and the choreo lift of their FD. Apparently the lift at the end of the SD is now a lift from their Funny Face FD? I didn't notice it had changed.

Mao88

Record Breaker
SHORT DANCE - VIDEOS (By Starting Order) - Updated

Warm-Up Group 1

1. Ksenia MONKO / Kirill KHALIAVIN (RUS) Short Dance
2. Nicole ORFORD / Thomas WILLIAMS (CAN) Short Dance
3. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON (FRA) Short Dance, 2nd Copy
4. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) Short Dance

Warm-Up Group 2

5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA / Alexander GAZSI (GER) Short Dance, 2nd Copy
6. Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV (RUS) Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
7. Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT (FRA) Short Dance, 2nd Copy
8. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR (CAN) Short Dance, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy

RESULT

Overall Result, Segment Result, Protocols

DannyCurry

On the Ice
Oh my, most of those SD were way too long. Could we cut them down to 1 min, please?
I usually skip the SD but I would have lost my seat for the ladies SP so I watched the whole thing. Fell asleep with the 1st group. Woke up when the crowd reacted to the lift from the British dancers.

The only SD I loved was from Virtue and Moir, who were clearly above the rest of the field. Enjoyed the Russian team too, which I had never seen before..

P&B, what can I say? Loved some bits of their SD but some other parts were really flat and slow. Can't wait to see their (wonderful) FD live though.

bramweld

Record Breaker
No Marina, that final lift does a great dis-service to Tessa. They need a more classy lift :mad:

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Papadakis/Cizeron - this team will make it big. His face and body line is so beautiful.

OMG!!! GUILLAUME IS EXTRAORDINARY! What amazing poise, posture, and full body awareness! His talent and ability are so excelled for a young man of only 19 years of age. Please tell me he will be a future Olympic and World Champion!! :love::yay: