Famous splits-coach/skater | Golden Skate

Famous splits-coach/skater

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Other thread prompted this.

Why did Kwan dump Frank in Oly year? Anyone-KKonas know/

Orser/yuna?

Others? I really wanna know why MK sacked him. Did he tell during jenny.dave TSL?

As I understand it, neither Frank nor Michelle ever spoke of it. Frustrating for us, but I think it was a classy way for them to behave.

Icey

Record Breaker
I think the Kwan/ Carroll split had to do with $$$$$$, probably more a concern of Danny than Michelle.

ciocio

On the Ice
I think the Kwan/ Carroll split had to do with $$$$$$, probably more a concern of Danny than Michelle.

What about Yuna and Orser, I'm a fan but I wasn't able to follow the 10000000000 threads and to understand the reason of their split.:) Could someone tell me a short version of the story?

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
From what I've read, it's commonly believed that Carrol wanted royalties from Kwan's earnings. As she grew in popularity, so did the number and size of the endorsements she received.

What about Yuna and Orser, I'm a fan but I wasn't able to follow the 10000000000 threads and to understand the reason of their split.:) Could someone tell me a short version of the story?

From everything I've read on fansites, the logical conclusion is that it was Illuminati plot involving the IMG, Mao Asada's pet dog, and that bald dancing guy from those Six Flags commercials.

In all seriousness, it's not unusual in sports for dream team coaches and athletes to separate due to differences in how they want progress in their competitive career. This is especially after a very stressful Olympic season. Athletes naturally lose their competitive drive after success, desire a normal life, or have difficulty going back into the grind of training.

Krislite

Medalist
Does any one really know when it comes to most splits? Most public statements about them are generally vague and cordial. Heck it's possible that the parties involved don't even agree on why they split.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
I read somehwere that Frank asked Kwan why would she want to move on since he hadn't changed the way he coaches and she replied that she had changed, as in grown up. Maybe she wanted more control as an adult, but again, as much as I want to know it seems like they have mostly kept very quiet. I've heard the money rumors but given that Kwan was struggling to compete (keep up) with Slutskaya and almost lost to Hughes at Skate Cananda I got the feeling it was more an attempt to strike out on her own to see what she could do.

cynthia24

On the Ice
Brian Joubert/andrei Berezintsev, joubert/jean-christophe Simon.....joubert/guyon...actually he splits with all his coaches:-/

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Scott Hamilton and Carlo Fassi. Carlo began "neglecting" Scott for another skater (Scott Cramer), so Hamilton went to Don Laws... and the rest is history. Fassi and Laws were friends, so they did have Fassi's blessing, but Carlo really didn't think Hamilton was going anywhere competitively. Oh well.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Dorothy Hamill and Carlo Fassi. He even sued her for $$$ claiming a certain percentage of her earnings. It was nice to see her bury the hatchet and skate at his memorial ice show.

Christopher Bowman and Frank Carroll. Well, we know the reasons there.

Tiffany Chin and Frank Carroll. I think Marjorie might have had something to do with this, hehe.

Tara Lipinski- Jeff DiGregorio. I think Pat might have had something to with this, too, hehe.

Nicole Bobek and every licensed coach in America and beyond.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I was going to say something similar, but decided to give her a pass on that.

Why did Kurt leave his long time coach, Mr. J? I've never seen anything on why he moved over to Doug Leigh.

BlackPack

Medalist
TSL is probably the longest Frank interview where he talks about Michelle extensively. They were never explicit about the reasons for their split. I remember when Michelle first split from him, it was said that Frank didn't know why. Maybe he still isn't clear on why. He did say that Michelle was growing up and wanted to approach life differently. He said their relations were never acrimonious even after the split and that till this day they still keep in touch once in a while. He couldn't make it to her wedding as his sister passed away around the same time. It is obvious Frank loves Michelle deeply (I'm not saying romantically if any of your dirty minds are over-working), and I can only imagine how heartbroken he was to lose his favorite pupil.

According to Frank who was very frank on TSL, he talked about royalties. It doesn't seem that he established getting a percentage of a skater's profits until much later, perhaps after Michelle who was really the only one of his pupils who made big money at the time. He does so with Evan, and he said he might do it with Denis.

lcd

Match Penalty
Dorothy Hamill and Carlo Fassi. He even sued her for $$$ claiming a certain percentage of her earnings. It was nice to see her bury the hatchet and skate at his memorial ice show.

Christopher Bowman and Frank Carroll. Well, we know the reasons there.

Tiffany Chin and Frank Carroll. I think Marjorie might have had something to do with this, hehe.

Tara Lipinski- Jeff DiGregorio. I think Pat might have had something to with this, too, hehe.

Skating parents get such a "bum rap" deserved or not. Of course the parents had something to do with it. The skaters in question (Tiffany and Tara) were <15 years old at the time.

RABID

Final Flight
Does any one really know when it comes to most splits? Most public statements about them are generally vague and cordial. Heck it's possible that the parties involved don't even agree on why they split.

I remember reading an article about YuNa right after the 2010 Olympics that struck me as odd and made me wonder about their split. Apparently right after the competition as they are traveling who knows where, hotel?, airport? they are diligently pouring over their gold win and working out tactics for FUTURE COMPETITIONS. And then consider a reporter's observation of all the ladies in the aftermath of the !!!!OLYMPIC COMPETITION!!!! where he observed they all looked absolutely spent. One doesn't jive with the other; it feels discordant to me. Where is the space for relief, accomplishment, joy and celebration? Not sure if a seed didn't start to grow right about there.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think both MK/Frank loved and admired each other. I did get impression Dad Kwan controlled it all-the whole thing with her boot change was about money. Well, the gambled everything on her and all won.

YuNa/Orser was bitter for YuNa it seems. Brian is known for being very serious and strict, but he clearly loved coaching her. I felt sad as he seemed so hurt at the time. He was such a great skater, it was an ideal match, or so it seemed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sometimes I think folks read a lot of soap opera drama into every day life of these skaters and coaches. "sells papers" but is more imagination than reality.