Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Famous splits-coach/skater

TSL is probably the longest Frank interview where he talks about Michelle extensively. They were never explicit about the reasons for their split. I remember when Michelle first split from him, it was said that Frank didn't know why. Maybe he still isn't clear on why. He did say that Michelle was growing up and wanted to approach life differently. He said their relations were never acrimonious even after the split and that till this day they still keep in touch once in a while. He couldn't make it to her wedding as his sister passed away around the same time. It is obvious Frank loves Michelle deeply (I'm not saying romantically if any of your dirty minds are over-working), and I can only imagine how heartbroken he was to lose his favorite pupil.

According to Frank who was very frank on TSL, he talked about royalties. It doesn't seem that he established getting a percentage of a skater's profits until much later, perhaps after Michelle who was really the only one of his pupils who made big money at the time. He does so with Evan, and he said he might do it with Denis.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    Dorothy Hamill and Carlo Fassi. He even sued her for $$$ claiming a certain percentage of her earnings. It was nice to see her bury the hatchet and skate at his memorial ice show.

Christopher Bowman and Frank Carroll. Well, we know the reasons there.

Tiffany Chin and Frank Carroll. I think Marjorie might have had something to do with this, hehe.

Tara Lipinski- Jeff DiGregorio. I think Pat might have had something to with this, too, hehe.

Nicole Bobek and every licensed coach in America and beyond.
    Skating parents get such a "bum rap" deserved or not. Of course the parents had something to do with it. The skaters in question (Tiffany and Tara) were <15 years old at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Does any one really know when it comes to most splits? Most public statements about them are generally vague and cordial. Heck it's possible that the parties involved don't even agree on why they split.
    I remember reading an article about YuNa right after the 2010 Olympics that struck me as odd and made me wonder about their split. Apparently right after the competition as they are traveling who knows where, hotel?, airport? they are diligently pouring over their gold win and working out tactics for FUTURE COMPETITIONS. And then consider a reporter's observation of all the ladies in the aftermath of the !!!!OLYMPIC COMPETITION!!!! where he observed they all looked absolutely spent. One doesn't jive with the other; it feels discordant to me. Where is the space for relief, accomplishment, joy and celebration? Not sure if a seed didn't start to grow right about there.

I think both MK/Frank loved and admired each other. I did get impression Dad Kwan controlled it all-the whole thing with her boot change was about money. Well, the gambled everything on her and all won.

YuNa/Orser was bitter for YuNa it seems. Brian is known for being very serious and strict, but he clearly loved coaching her. I felt sad as he seemed so hurt at the time. He was such a great skater, it was an ideal match, or so it seemed.

Sometimes I think folks read a lot of soap opera drama into every day life of these skaters and coaches. "sells papers" but is more imagination than reality.

Rogue Leader
    Toni, Kurt actually moved to Louis Stong. Michael was in Edmonton and Louis was in Toronto. If I'm not mistaken, Kurt wanted to be closer to Sonia, who was dancing with the National Ballet in TO. I don't think it was a skating related decision. Kurt actually went back to Michael for a bit of coaching in his pro years. I remember seeing Michael in the K&C with Kurt at least once at a pro-am event.

Quote Originally Posted by Antilles View Post
    Toni, Kurt actually moved to Louis Stong. Michael was in Edmonton and Louis was in Toronto. If I'm not mistaken, Kurt wanted to be closer to Sonia, who was dancing with the National Ballet in TO. I don't think it was a skating related decision. Kurt actually went back to Michael for a bit of coaching in his pro years. I remember seeing Michael in the K&C with Kurt at least once at a pro-am event.
    I meant that, why did I type Leigh?!

I wonder if Orser's split was over a percentage. I think Frank never got his due. I hope Brian gets another amazing girl to bring to yop.

Tatiana and Kulik-that was a dustup, no?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2