what's the fairest online forum on FS? | Golden Skate

what's the fairest online forum on FS?

ayayukiituka

On the Ice
As the title mentions, I'm looking for a fair and good debating place on the web. I like GS but I find little respect for skaters. any recommended plac?

Barb

Record Breaker
Try FSU but you always will find some opinion you dont like or in your eyes unfair, besides almost all people have their favorites and sometimes :p we are biased. But I see you are from Japan, there are not good japanese forums??, I would think that because FS is so important in Japan

spikydurian

Medalist
ayayu, i am not sure whether you can find an open forum where there's a high level of etiquette because you are 'talking to unknown people from all over the world, of various ages, background and culture'.
Like in real life, there will always be good and bad apples. And I think the bad applies tend to intentionally misbehave in the virtual world because there is no accountability. If you have a favourite, just stick to the fan thread. Sometimes, you can fine nice people who can become your real life friends within the fan thread just as I did. I have read several forums. I do find some can be more respectful and reasonable and some less. You have to look for what suits you best. Try googling your favourite's name and forum and you may find some nice forums where you feel comfortable to post.
Good luck.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Yeah, the fairest, overall best forum I've found is this one, for better or worse.

Coriana

On the Ice
They're are great posters, and then there are really vicious posters who enjoy creating controversy and conflict. If you feel you want to avoid that sort of thing, click on the profile and then click the ignore button. That way you can avoid any posters you find to be disrespectful. The ignore button improves my experience of forums no end.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
There are a few forums dedicated to certain skaters i.e. Kwan, Yuna, Mao. If you're looking more for a forum where you'll mostly hear (or rather read) good things about your favorite skater/s you could try such skater-specific message boards. Otherwise, virtually every forum I've been too (including FSU) there is always strong opinions and/or criticism for or against this skater or that one.

louisa05

Final Flight
Yeah, the fairest, overall best forum I've found is this one, for better or worse.

Totally agree. There is disagreement here, but compared to other skating forums, there is not as much nastiness directed at skaters here.

I think what happens, here or elsewhere, is that people get sensitive about any critique of their favorites. Fortunately, here, the "hater" label is not thrown around as frequently as it is at other skating forums. I find it is easier here to say "eh...don't like skater A's (fill in the blank--could be music, costume, footwork, arms, whatever)" without another poster screaming "hater" and getting bent out of shape. That is the best you're going to get.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They're are great posters, and then there are really vicious posters who enjoy creating controversy and conflict. If you feel you want to avoid that sort of thing, click on the profile and then click the ignore button. That way you can avoid any posters you find to be disrespectful. The ignore button improves my experience of forums no end.

Totally agree :thumbsup:

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Personally, I haven't hung around on other skating forums for quite some time now, so I can't really give any opinion on GS versus others. But can tell you based on my experience with the internet in general: on any forum with a decent amount of activity, there will always be posters that will irritate you somehow. If you're looking for an online forum to hang around where you won't encounter any disrespect, bias, stupidity, rudeness, or people endlessly repeating the same crap in different threads like broken records, you are in for a long and fruitless search, IMO. The most you can hope for is a place where this stays at a tolerable level and doesn't derail too much discussion.

I second (third?) the suggestion to use the ignore feature, if you're serious enough about it to actually not look at so-and-so's posts. (I can never resist having a peek, but that's me.)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
facebook. friend those that don't annoy you/agree with your viewpoint and then you don't have to deal with trolls (or if you do you can block/ban them yourself).

my "vacation" from all message boards was the best thing I ever could've done... thinking of going back to just doing facebook again. I just don't have it in me anymore. :no:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
As the title mentions, I'm looking for a fair and good debating place on the web. I like GS but I find little respect for skaters. any recommended plac?
You started a thread on GS so that people will help you find an alternative to GS? That's... interesting.

If you're looking for forums that are positive about skaters, I would second Sasha'sSpins' recommendation that you check out ones devoted to your favorite skaters. E.g. there's the Yuna forums for her fans, Plushenko forums for his fans, and so on. You can't expect skating fans on a general discussion forum to adhere to your definition of respect.

I also recommend making use of the ignore list feature.

Krislite

Medalist
General skating forums have ubers from every corner of the world, so heated debates about favorites will always happen. Dedicated fan forums are more hospitable to certain viewpoints.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
It depends on your perspective. Can figure skating be truly fair? It is not as simple as everyone run along the same line for 100 meters. The complexity, intricacy and the multidisciplinary nature where it bridges atheletism with arts and musicality are what makes the sport interesting and intriguing for me personally, because it reveals so much about human potentials on and off ice. In arts there's no winners or losers just good and bad arts, all capable of winning depends on the judge.

Kalina

On the Ice
I second who said that you should just search for a fan forum of a skater you like. Stay there and follow the sport in peace, talking with people who share your same views. Figure skating forums like this one and FSU are not fair, if only for the fact that 95% of the people who write don't really know what they're talking about.
But yeah, FSU certainly deals with trolls much quicker.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I think GS and FSU have slightly different definitions of troll. FSU allows posters to post under several different names and even carry on conversations with themselves. If I wanted to say something trollish on FSU, I could create a new id, say the wicked, snarky thing, and go back to being myself. TrollDoris could be banned, and I would not care. On GS, once banned, you cannot post for some period of time, perhaps forever, depending on your infractions. As a result, we try to warn and work with posters, so a troll can last a bit longer here. But once gone, the troll is really gone, not just hiding under a bridge under the name of Rock.

On GS, we try harder to improve civility among posters and worry less about respect to skaters, as long as the comments are not libellous or outsourced rumors.

If you find a post that does not conform to the Guidelines, please report it. That is how you can help us improve the site.