Figure skater Kim Yu-na donates US$100,000 to relief efforts in Philippines | Golden Skate

Figure skater Kim Yu-na donates US$100,000 to relief efforts in Philippines

cooper

Medalist
Figure skater Kim Yu-na donates US$100,000 to relief efforts in Philippines

i think this topic deserves a thread.. ..

"Through the Korean Committee for UNICEF, Kim has made donations to help underprivileged and sick children at the end of each year, and this year, she informed us that she wanted to help children affected by the strong typhoon in the Philippines," the statement said. "Her donation will be used to supply drinking water and also to provide education for these children."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/...im-yu-na-donates-us100000-relief-efforts-phil

People who use their fame and achievements toward the public good are the best kind of champions, and this woman seems to take a wide view of the world and act accordingly. I'm proud to be a fan of hers and expect to continue to be one for years after her competitive career winds down.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I really do think Yuna is a beautiful and excellent human being. This literally brings a tear to my eye.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yuna's a great champion but even better she has a big heart. I'll always be a fan but this just makes me admire her even more.

SGrand

Final Flight
I think she donated the same amount that China did (unless China has upped theirs from a few days ago).
Hmmm, a figure skater > one of the most powerful nations.

brightphoton

Medalist
I think she donated the same amount that China did (unless China has upped theirs from a few days ago).
Hmmm, a figure skater > one of the most powerful nations.

Stephen Colbert also used the $100,000 sum from China to encourage his Colbert Nation viewers to donate to the Philippines relief fund.

bebevia

On the Ice
bless rich folk like yuna. u rock, girl.
Don't worry. The thing about average Joes and Janes is that we can donate a fraction of that and still be praised. Just donate a whole month household income before tax every time something comes up, just so that you can promote everyone else around you to donate, and you're welcome. Don't forget to donate every single bonus income too, like how she donates her competition earnings. (Business charities don't include; she only includes her pocket money under her name.)

Also, let's be generous and also bless those rich AND non-rich folks who don't donate like her. I know I don't; not nearly enough.

I was once a complainer for rich-not-donating-enough; still kinda am. However, after some time, I began to tell when one is only pursuing for names, or a charity trend follower, or vaguely trying to be nice, or in this case, actually onto promoting charity. I also know that she's reluctant to show herself. Please try to be nice.

Wait. What's wrong with being rich? When rich people are moved to compassion and generosity, that's a good thing, right?

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Wow, didn't know Yuna was that rich. And of course, I know she has been very generous with lots of disasters.
I just wish someone could donate this much to U.S. figure stating (even for their costumes at the nationals) so that more talented skaters can reach their full potential.

brightphoton

Medalist
Wait. What's wrong with being rich? When rich people are moved to compassion and generosity, that's a good thing, right?

What is with you and being a broken record about pointing out these condescending, trite observations? People have answered your question many times before, so I don't know if this is a rhetorical question or a pet phrase of your's. You'll probably selectively ignore/forget the answer and post the same thing on the next "rich person donates money" thread though. Same thing goes for your two other hobby horses, "why can't we just trust the Nationals results for determining the Olympic team" and the "CoP is killing the sport and we should go back to 6.0."