Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Can Adelina Sotnikova overcome the pressure? (Part 2)

Custom Title

Can Adelina Sotnikova overcome the pressure? (Part 2)

This is a continuation of this old archived thread from last season

Great performance by Sotnikova in the free skate today at TEB. I thought Ashley Wagner's PCS scores were completely ludicrous, and that Sotnikova deserved to win despite the 6 point deficit from the short program. It was a shame that Sotnikova's SP was not as good as it was at the Cup of China, because had it been, then she would have won anyway. I hope today's performance is something of breakthrough for Sotnikova and that she can move on from here to start putting two clean programs together in the same competition. I liked that she converted the 3Z+3T combination to a 3Z+2T, and the 3F+2T+2R combination to a 3F+2T, and that that seemed to make her more confident going into the free program. Its far better to do that and skate clean, than to fall as she has done in the past.

Today's result probably makes Sotnikova the favourite for the 2nd spot on the Russian Olympic team (with Lipnitskaya almost certain to make the team in terms of the 1st spot), especially having beaten Pogorilaya and with Tuktamysheva apparently injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    This is a continuation of this old archived thread from last season

Great performance by Sotnikova in the free skate today at TEB. I thought Ashley Wagner's PCS scores were completely ludicrous, and that Sotnikova deserved to win despite the 6 point deficit from the short program. It was a shame that Sotnikova's SP was not as good as it was at the Cup of China, because had it been, then she would have won anyway. I hope today's performance is something of breakthrough for Sotnikova and that she can move on from here to start putting two clean programs together in the same competition. I liked that she converted the two 3+3 combinations to 3+2 combinations, and that that seemed to make her more confident going into the free program. Its far better to do that and skate clean, than to fall.

Today's result probably makes Sotnikova the favourite for the 2nd spot on the Russian Olympic team (with Lipnitskaya almost certain to make the team in terms of the 1st spot), especially having beaten Pogorilaya and with Tuktamysheva apparently injured.
    Geez, the Russians must be kicking themselves even more now for their lackluster performance at last Worlds. To have so much talent and have only two spots to shine...

Banned
    Wagner's PCS were not ludricious. They were barely higher than Sotnikova, and she has a much better choreographed program this year.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    Geez, the Russians must be kicking themselves even more now for their lackluster performance at last Worlds. To have so much talent and have only two spots to shine...
    I actually think its worked in their favour having only 2 spots. Its clear that competition from Lipnitskata, Pogorilaya, and Tuktamysheva, is forcing Sotnikova to up her level. Its also evident that both Lipnitskaya and Pogorilaya have gone into this season in determined mood. There is no better way of improving performance levels than competition for places. Better to have 2 skaters in peak shape, than 3 mediocre ones who have not really had to earn their selection.

Adelina is a beautiful skater, my favorite Russian. The only thing she lacks is the consistency Julia has. When the top 3 retire I think Russia will dominate this quad. Although the American girls coming up have incredible talent The Russian girls are already establishing their reputations. The best Americans coming up such as Courtney, Polina and Karen are not competing with the seniors in the big stage yet. Julia bested Akiko. Elena Rodionova could hold her own against Mao and Anna bested the One an only Carolina Kostner. With that said the one Russian skater, I hope makes it to the world podium is Adelina.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Wagner's PCS were not ludricious. They were barely higher than Sotnikova, and she has a much better choreographed program this year.
    There is no way that Wagner should have got mid 60's for PCS with that performance. That is the problem with COP/IJS. Technical mistakes such as falls detract from the overall spectacle, and that is rarely refected under COP/IJS.

Wagner's free program is poorly choreographed and Sotnikova's PCS deserved to be far higher than Wagner's

Custom Title
    I feel for any Russian girls left behind. I can't imagine how would Tuk feel if she won't go to Sochi. Or Julia..They deserve to go

Custom Title
    There is no way that Wagner should have got mid 60's for PCS with that performance. That is the problem with COP/IJS. Technical mistake such as falls detract from the overall spectacle and that is rarely refected under COP/IJS.
    Wagner did not fall. She had one step-out; the other mistakes were minor and she was appropriately punished for them with GOE. Ashley was committed to her choreography and all of her elements and overall, she gave a strong performance.

Wagner's free program is poorly choreographed and Sotnikova's PCS deserved to be far higher than Wagner's
    Wagner's free program has a strong beginning and a strong ending. It does have a rather empty third in the middle, but overall, I will definitely take her program over Sotnikova's, which has some really bizarre hand/arm choreography. I have no idea what Adelina is trying to do out there and how it relates to the music and I'm not sure she knows either. Adelina was way overscored on GOE on her first flip, btw. I was pleased to see Adelina win over Ashley in the FS but also pleased to see Ashley win overall. The results were fine.

Good for Adelina for having a good performance here and making a case for one of the spots on the Russian Olympic team. But robbed? No. Olympic medal contender? I'm not convinced at this time, with the programs that she has, and that flip technique that she has--it's like she's rolling the dice every time. It worked this time but maybe not next time.

I actually think its worked in their favour having only 2 spots. Its clear that competition from Lipnitskata, Pogorilaya, and Tuktamysheva, is forcing Sotnikova to up her level. Its also evident that both Lipnitskaya and Pogorilaya have gone into this season in determined mood. There is no better way of improving performance levels than competition for places. Better to have 2 skaters in peak shape, than 3 mediocre ones who have not really had to earn their selection.
    OR....it could be just poor timing; last year they weren't there yet and this year they are. They all are, after all, more experienced now.

Banned
    There is no way that Wagner should have got mid 60's for PCS with that performance. That is the problem with COP/IJS. Technical mistakes such as falls detract from the overall spectacle, and that is rarely refected under COP/IJS.

You call Wagner's free program poorly choreographed, LOL! Of all the women this year she has one of the best put together programs and I am not even a fan of hers. Especialy in comparision to Sotnikova who has strange music cuts, and a lot of weird and meaningless arm movements.

Wagner's technical mistakes were definitely reflected in her PCS. Her PCS would not be almost the same as Sotnikova with a clean performance to their current programs after all, they would be significantly higher (and rightly so).

Good for Sotnikova to have a very strong LP finally, but she was in no way robbed of winning this event. Her short program cost her the victory, as it should be. Wagner didn't skate a perfect LP as Sotnikova did, but it was more than good enough to keep her sizeable lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    When the top 3 retire I think Russia will dominate this quad. The best Americans coming up such as Courtney, Polina and Karen are not competing with the seniors in the big stage yet.
    Absolutely.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Wagner did not fall. She had one step-out; the other mistakes were minor and she was appropriately punished for them with GOE. Ashley was committed to her choreography and all of her elements and overall, she gave a strong performance.
    I was referring to COP and technical mistakes in general, not with particular reference to the individual mistakes made by Wagner in her FS

As for the rest of your comments - its all in the eye of the beholder and we will have agree to disagree

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    You call Wagner's free program poorly choreographed, LOL!
    Are you sure your watching the right program and the right skater?

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    It does have a rather empty third in the middle
    Exactly, and that is only one of the problems. I suspect Wagner's team will rejig the program as the season progresses.

Ashley's program in the hands of lets say Carolina would be a masterpiece. Ashley doesn't sells this program well JMO

Custom Title
    I was referring to COP and technical mistakes in general, not with particular reference to the individual mistakes made by Wagner in her FS
    Then why would you bring it up in reference to Ashley getting too high PCS if it had no relevance to Ashley's situation and score?

Exactly, and that is only one of the problems. I suspect Wagner's team will rejig the program as the season progresses.
    By the way, you haven't explained why Adelina has a better program than Wagner's. In terms of packaging alone, Wagner deserved higher components. Adelina's dress is awful.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast