Can Adelina Sotnikova overcome the pressure? (Part 2) | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Can Adelina Sotnikova overcome the pressure? (Part 2)

CarneAsada

Medalist
How was Sotnikova's FS better choreographed than Wagner's? Sotnikova looked great to me when I watched the stream with sound turned off but after watching the video with sound, I have to agree with jaylee. Wagner has had better programs in previous seasons but her program was far better even with the near-fall.

Amei

Record Breaker
My issue with Sotnikova going to the Olympics is that she reminds me of Sasha Cohen beautiful skater but struggles to have a clean competition- a clean free skate and short. And she doesn't have the musicality or wow moments that allowed Cohen's final score to overcome the jump errors.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
To be honest, I think Adelina always have very difficult/complicated step sequences and spins that most other top ladies cannot deliver, but those steps are not always matching the music or the esthetics of the skating.
I think as long as she learned not to rush into her jumps, gets more tactical choreography, softens her movements a little, she can be very consistent in her jumps, and be totally awesome. She just has not shown her true potential at the senior level at all.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think as long as she learned not to rush into her jumps, gets more tactical choreography, softens her movements a little, she can be very consistent in her jumps, and be totally awesome. She just has not shown her true potential at the senior level at all.

But Russia can't exactly afford to gamble that her true potential may or may not show up at the Olympics.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I guess I am thinking of the next few years, Olympics or not. Seriously hope she got tactical programs like Julia's next season.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
But Russia can't exactly afford to gamble that her true potential may or may not show up at the Olympics.

Yes they can. It is not like they have a real good shot to medal this year anyway. They already have their consistent and solid contender, and probably most likely hope of a medal. They can certainly send with her their erratic but potentially brilliant headcase who if she skates well could pull a big surprise. Anna and Elizaveta have no hope of a medal at the Games, so are the most pointless to send if they have 2 spots.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Yes they can. It is not like they have a real good shot to medal this year anyway. They already have their consistent and solid contender, and probably most likely hope of a medal. They can certainly send with her their erratic but potentially brilliant headcase who if she skates well could pull a big surprise. Anna and Elizaveta have no hope of a medal at the Games, so are the most pointless to send if they have 2 spots.

Plus Adelina usually wins head-to-heads against other Russian skaters, so there aren't any viable alternatives to Adelina and Julia on the team.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Sotnikova is still a headcase, not until she proves her free skate wasn't a fluke
but given that she is her Federation's favorite, Sptnikova is almost certain to make the Olympics

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Sotnikova is still a headcase, not until she proves her free skate wasn't a fluke
but given that she is her Federation's favorite, Sptnikova is almost certain to make the Olympics

and since you know Julia is making it the 2 women team is already a sure thing. Now they are fighting for which skates the team event or if they share that.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

You mean like Yuzuru being a headcase who has yet to skate a clean FS (the closest being worlds two years ago)?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wagner is not old and worn out. She is obviously a late bloomer who is still just getting better. I am increasingly thinking she is going to surprise people and stick around for 2018, even if she wins a medal in 2014. She seems like someone who still has a lot left in her. She isn't the most talented skater, but seem super determined to keep finding ways to improve, and while she still has goals to reach I don't see her stopping anytime soon.

lcd

Match Penalty
So very happy for her, getting those triple flips done at this event. Sets herself up well to qualify for the GPFinal, though given its proximity to Russian Nationals - which are all important to earning a spot in Sochi, I truly hope all the travel and competition will not be too tiring for her.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
So very happy for her, getting those triple flips done at this event. Sets herself up well to qualify for the GPFinal, though given its proximity to Russian Nationals - which are all important to earning a spot in Sochi, I truly hope all the travel and competition will not be too tiring for her.

They should just make the GPF the Olympic qualifying event for the ladies, since the three contenders will be there. It would be sad if Tuk won Nationals because these three were tired after the GPF and got one of the two spots.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
You mean like Yuzuru being a headcase who has yet to skate a clean FS (the closest being worlds two years ago)?

Yuzu with mistakes is still a medal contender unlike Sotnikova whose bombing is like going on the ice and going to self destruct
a clean Yuzu will score very high almost at par or will level with Chan's score

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
no problem, we've seen what happens to Wagner at the end of the season
she'll run out of steam, Gracie Gold :) is the No.1 US lady sorry

Gold hasn't proven squat all as far as being U.S #1. Despite inflated PCS she could only manage 3rd and 4th in her two grand prix events. Wagner has only further solidified herself in that spot so far this season. As for Wagner running out of steam, unlike last year she isn't skating lights out yet. She hasn't had a clean long program yet. That is great for her, as she is saving more in store for later on, unlike last year.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yuzu with mistakes is still a medal contender unlike Sotnikova whose bombing is like going on the ice and going to self destruct
a clean Yuzu will score very high almost at par or will level with Chan's score

At least Sotnikova has done a clean FS on the senior circuit. Hanyu has yet to do a clean FS ever.

So when Sotnikova does a whaxel she's "such a headcase" to you, but when Hanyu singles a 4S in TEB or singles his lutz in the SKate Canada SP all of a sudden you change your tune. :rolleye: Sotnikova is apparently a headcase on her triple flip even though she landed all her flips at TEB... but Hanyu isn't a headcase to you by failing on his 4S with a fall and a single at his events. At least be consistent! :laugh:

Both have silver medals in their Grand Prix events. Both have benefited from easy fields this year. Both have made errors in their skates but still medaled. They're more alike than you think, or would care to admit.

Also, you are truly delusional if you think a clean Hanyu (which he hasn't been this season at all) will be on par with a clean Chan. You think Hanyu will get 96.50 points of PCS when his personal best is 85.16 in the FS? :unsure: Keep dreaming, bud. :popcorn:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
no problem, we've seen what happens to Wagner at the end of the season
she'll run out of steam, Gracie Gold :) is the No.1 US lady sorry

Ah I see... Gold is clearly deliberately coming 3rd and 4th and missing the GPF, because she wants Ashley to get a false sense of security with her GP medals and her trip to the GPF. It all makes sense! Clearly, the one going to the GP final who has beaten Gold every time thus far isn't the number 1 US lady.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Adelina seems to be doing very well-perhaps she is less afraid of bigger venues. She did very well indeed in France