Can Adelina Sotnikova overcome the pressure? (Part 2) | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Can Adelina Sotnikova overcome the pressure? (Part 2)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy said:
Sorry, I should clarify, I was referring to the field at TEB for Hanyu (where the 3rd place skater didn't attempt any quads and had only 1 triple axel in the FS), and the field at CoC for Sotnikova (where the 3rd place skater landed 2 clean triples in her FS).

By "weak" I mean, not particularly competitive so they were able to nab silver medals. Obviously at Skate Canada, Hanyu had more competition from Oda and almost lost to him, and at TEB Sotnikova had competition from Pogorilaya. I was just pointing out that Hanyu and Sotnikova actually have a lot of similarities to their season with similar successes and problems, however sky_fly seems to think Sotnikova is somehow a headcase when her beloved Hanyu also has his own consistency issues.

I'll reiterate that I love both Hanyu and Sotnikova, and don't think either are headcases. Another similarity is that they're both pushing for very high technical content even though it doesn't pay off (e.g. Sotnikova's 3-3 in the SP and Hanyu's 4S in the LP), but I still give kudos to them for doing that.

Aye, that's true. Although the field at TEB actually looked good on paper, until the first 5 LPs happened... :slink:
Thanks for explaining!

Blades of Passion said:
I wish she would get proper credit for her 3Lz+3Lo. At both Japan Open and CoC I don't feel it deserved the < call, and at TEB I would have just given it a < rather than <<.

She hit a very beautiful one in practice/warm-up too, that looked fully rotated to me. Cesario did a gorgeous 3Lo-3Lo in the 6 min warm-up before the SP too, that was definitly rotated.
It's annoying that the technical panels are stricter for 3-3Lo combos. There are some cheated 3T's (like Ashleys in the LP) that get credit regularly, but they never give the benefit of the doubt on a 3Lo :no:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wish she would get proper credit for her 3Lz+3Lo. At both Japan Open and CoC I don't feel it deserved the < call, and at TEB I would have just given it a < rather than <<.

Yeah, she certainly wasn't given the benefit of the doubt at CoC or for just a < at TEB. Both were close calls though, so it could have gone either way, and clearly the tech spec decided against her.

It's an extremely tough combination to get credit for. I can only imagine the exercises she's doing to strengthen her right leg to get the height necessary to avoid a UR.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Aye, that's true. Although the field at TEB actually looked good on paper, until the first 5 LPs happened... :slink:

Yeah, it was the same at Cup of China, when Li, Murakami, and Kostner all failed to deliver, even though on paper it should have been a healthy competition. Sotnikova was quite fortunate to come 2nd (although Kostner was much more fortunate to come 3rd). Ice is slippery, and all.

jaylee

Medalist
It's an extremely tough combination to get credit for. I can only imagine the exercises she's doing to strengthen her right leg to get the height necessary to avoid a UR.

Adelina has great natural spring in her jumps in general, and she's a really good edge jumper. Her triple loop, salchow, and axel all get great height.

The height she gets on the double loop at the end of her 3-jump combo here (1:37) is higher than the double toeloop that preceded it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tlobsY2CENw#t=96

bump

Match Penalty
I'd like to think so, since she is a very talented skater and has many great qualities, aesthetically, as a skater. Unfortunately, she seems to head-case often and has a generally poor track record with the triple flip...which means she'll probably end up falling a few times or popping a few jumps should she make it on to the Russian Olympic team. Shame.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'd like to think so, since she is a very talented skater and has many great qualities, aesthetically, as a skater. Unfortunately, she seems to head-case often and has a generally poor track record with the triple flip...which means she'll probably end up falling a few times or popping a few jumps should she make it on to the Russian Olympic team. Shame.

Well she laded all her flips last weekend. That doesn't mean she won't have trouble in the future but I think it could help her confidence in the jump.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I really hope her performance at TEB boosts her confidence. Sometimes knowing for a fact that you can do something gives you confidence to go out and do it again. Adelina's problem has always been a combination of nerves and confidence. The technique on her flip is a little odd but when she lands the jump well, it's very nice.

I'd really love to see her gain some consistency and start putting out strong programs. That 64+ in PCS she scored is proof that the judges are giving her the green light...all she has to do is go. Hopefully that small victory will be her turning point this season...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Exactly. Haters see it as a fluke, but anyone else sees it as progress.

I wish people would stop viewing any clean program as a "fluke". These are highly trained athletes who spend hours a day perfecting triple jumps. When they hit 6 or 7 triples it isn't by accident. Me going out and hitting a 7 triple program would be a "fluke" :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I wish people would stop viewing any clean program as a "fluke". These are highly trained athletes who spend hours a day perfecting triple jumps. When they hit 6 or 7 triples it isn't by accident. Me going out and hitting a 7 triple program would be a "fluke" :)

Hah, I know right! And if the skater goes clean a 2nd time, people will be like -- oh, well, why haven't they done in 3 times... they're so inconsistent, etc. etc. etc. :rolleye:

nipman

On the Ice
I don't know whether she will keep the 3Lz-2T in her FS or upgrade it to 3-3. Anyone has a glue? Is she doing 3Lz-3T in the practice? Her 2A-3T this season is bigger than last year, so I guess she has made some progress with the 3T-ended combos, maybe?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Her Flutz dg loop combo got her -3 goe across the board in ten so really don't expect to see that again. Her whole sp was a mess. Maybe she'll upgrade her 3/3 to something she can do without uring. But there's not been a clean combo with a triple loop as the second jump by anyone in recent years. Surprised she would even attempt one. All tech callers call all loop combos ur or dg.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't know whether she will keep the 3Lz-2T in her FS or upgrade it to 3-3. Anyone has a glue? Is she doing 3Lz-3T in the practice? Her 2A-3T this season is bigger than last year, so I guess she has made some progress with the 3T-ended combos, maybe?

I would think she wants to add a 7th triple somewhere in that program, especially since she does two 2A's she could easily substitute the last one with a 3Lo. I much prefer her holding back technically and delivering a clean program like she did last weekend though. It's impressive that she can do 6 triples with an edge call on one and still score ~130; I think only Ashley, Akiko and the top 3 can do that.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I would think she wants to add a 7th triple somewhere in that program, especially since she does two 2A's she could easily substitute the last one with a 3Lo. I much prefer her holding back technically and delivering a clean program like she did last weekend though. It's impressive that she can do 6 triples with an edge call on one and still score ~130; I think only Ashley, Akiko and the top 3 can do that.

Suzuki could only score 130 plus by doing 7 triples IMO. Atleast outside of Japan.

Ashley is questionable too given that she has never scored 130 in the LP as it is.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
drivingmissdaisy said:

Adelina could go for 2 2A3T's too, if she manages to do this combo like she did at TEB more consistently, it would be a huge point-getter.
I'd rather prefer her focusing more on being clean though too. She did a way better job of interpretating the music and selling the program too in the LP compared to the SP. That confidence is worth a lot more than an additional triple, especially if everything else about your skating is so good.

bump

Match Penalty
She's a head-caser, sort of like Gracie Gold. Also, her triple flip tends to make her look like an adult skater. Other than that, she's great.

Mao88

Record Breaker
Its clear from her performances this season, that Sotnikova is becoming far more consistent and self assured. However, the real test will come in Saturday's FS. If she can skate clean, and thereby put together a clean SP & FS in the same competition for the first time in her senior career, that will be the break through moment and will set up as a medal contender in Sochi.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Its clear from her performances this season, that Sotnikova is becoming far more consistent and self assured. However, the real test will come in Saturday's FS. If she can skate clean, and thereby put together a clean SP & FS in the same competition for the first time in her senior career, that will be the break through moment and will set up as a medal contender in Sochi.

I hope so, but some of her jump entrances are shaky so I don't think she will ever be the most consistent skater. But when she puts it all together she is among the best out there.