Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Poised to break through--but didn't

Custom Title
    Ann Patrice McDonough. Quit the sport but not for lack of technical ability or puberty reasons.
    Deanna Stellato. Injury cut short her time in the sport, our loss as well as hers.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Jill Trenary was a us and World Champ, yes?
    You're right. I guess I was thinking about her 4th at the Olys. She went into that a major contender and just blew it. Beautiful girl and nice to watch on the ice.

And another good point about the body changes and how it effects the "baby ballerinas!" I honestly think that's what happened to Mirai. And then once she lost her confidence it just seems like she hasn't been able to get it back. I wish she had stayed with Frank Carroll.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Ann Patrice McDonough. Quit the sport but not for lack of technical ability or puberty reasons.
    I suspect that placing 4th at Nationals the year she hit 7 triples in her LP must have been disheartening

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I'm going to tweak the intent of the thread... and include Sasha Cohen in the discussion.

Yes, she has US Championships, Olympic medal, WC medal, multiple GP wins... there are many, many skaters who would be thrilled with that resume, and rightly so.

But she never became what she could have been. She had the talent, the look, the charisma to become one of the all time greats in our sport... an icon on the level of Peggy Fleming. Instead, she had a very good career, but will be remembered by few in 20 years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I'm going to tweak the intent of the thread... and include Sasha Cohen in the discussion.

Yes, she has US Championships, Olympic medal, WC medal, multiple GP wins... there are many, many skaters who would be thrilled with that resume, and rightly so.

But she never became what she could have been. She had the talent, the look, the charisma to become one of the all time greats in our sport... an icon on the level of Peggy Fleming. Instead, she had a very good career, but will be remembered by few in 20 years.
    Agree, Sasha is a skater that never reached the potential greatness that she could have. She had the artistry and the flexibility, but didn't have consistency on jumps or the ability to perform under intense pressure to win gold.

Custom Title
    Sasha could have won any competition had she nailed her jumps, but I'm glad Shizuka won in Turin because she is a purer "skater" than Sasha and I never thought her skills were rewarded enough (i.e. Shizuka's SS should score miles ahead of Sasha's but wasn't).

Jenni Tew
    Lisa Ervin
    Sydney Vogel
    Katy Taylor--did she quit due to injuries or quit because she didn't want to skate anymore?
    Christina Gao
    Emanuel Sandhu

Custom Title
    Angela Dikodinov
    Yes indeed Deanna Stellato
    Yes Naomi and Mirai and Caroline
    Jeremy for sure
    Lesser extent Matt Savoie
    Nicole Bobek
    Excuse the spelling errors

Oh and (don't throw things at me) Tonya Harding

Custom Title
    I still have hope for Jeremy! Not much, but a little bit is left that he'll at least do well in the Olympics, at least get 5th or 6th or so. What a shame his nerves got the better of him.

I remember Sydney Vogel! She was better than Tara Lipinski at one point.

Custom Title
    Didn't Sydney Vogel switch countries and skated for maybe Germany? But things dind't work out - she kind of lost it. I would add Tracey Wainman, Tiffany Chin, Lisa Marie Allen, Tanya Sawchenko, and Josee Chouinard (heart break) as well.

Custom Title
    Ohhhhhhhhhh - Emanuel Sandhu. Usually had a great SP and then blew it in the long. Josee Chouinard (Breakfast at Tiffanys) was a joy to watch. Tiffany Chin had mother issues but was beautiful on the ice. Thought she would make it as a pairs skater but that never went anywhere.

My son's best friend was Katy Taylor's sports psychologist, Katy just never had a competitive edge. Too bad.

But Jeremy. I wish so much he would have the skate of his life at the 2013 Nats and go on to win an Oly medal. He has the mad skills...just can't put it together.

Bebe Liang broke through at a young age and had quite a personality, lots of speed, and fairly good jumps. She had some type of hip injury and was never the same. She skated with the injury but was limited with jumps and even after the injury healed she was seemed to have lost her consistency.

Jennifer Don skated singles and definitely had the "it" factor on the ice. She didn't ever have lutz or flip, IIRC. She switched to pairs and had some success but eventually faded from the scene.

I always loved Ryan Janke's skating and Braden Overett as well. Both had good jumps up thru lutz and interesting and different choreography. Lack of reliable 3A's ended their hopes of international success.

Custom Title
    To me, Emanuel Sandhu stands out because he is kind of the broken link in the 'chosen' Canadian men. For a while now, one talented Canadian male skater has risen up to succeed internationally. Orser to Browning to Stojko to Sandhu to Buttle to Chan. With all his talent Sandhu is the one skater in this list who was not able to execute when it counted (only one that didn't win or medal at Worlds/Olympics).

Custom Title
    I agree about both Cohen and Sandhu. Cohen made it closer to her potential than Sandu ever did but I still think she was gifted a medal at Torino. I really felt for Suguri and Rochette that year as they skated very well only to land off the podium. Rochette I could understand a little as she still didn't quite project that confidence that came in the following seasons. Anyways, Cohen could and should have been a legend. I was introduced to her skating in 2002 and I was so excited to see what she would come to be but it never really happened.

Other skaters that come to mind include Cynthia Phanuef. She never had consistency but the judges seemed very ready to reward her with high PCS. She seemed hampered by both nerves and a sudden growth spurt then there was the 'controversy' the year she broke through and won nationals but was sent to Junior Worlds. Still debatable whether that was a good decision or not. Might not matter because of the ensuing growth spurt.

There was a Japanese skater whose name escapes me at the moment. She was in the post-Suguri era and she won the Four Continents in 2004. I remember she had a very lovely style and seemed to do well at the GP but after that season I never really heard from her again.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post

On one hand Sasha's inconsistency made it hard for me to watch her or even the sport for that matter but on the other hand I haven't been excited about any American LADY since Sasha. Does that make her a failure?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast