Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Poised to break through--but didn't

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Abbott, in a way. Although he has had some victories, he hasn't become the World or Olympic medalist many expected him to be. I also think people expected Dornbush to rise up the ranks much more quickly than he has after 2011. Actually, he hasn't really risen up at all since then. I take it we're talking about American skaters, or else I would have more examples.
    Abbott definitely. He's SUCH a great skater.

I'm also going to add Weir to the list. Sure, he has USA medals, but he should have done more internationally. I remember when I first saw him at a local competiton and he was such a gorgeous skater. I don't think he was served by gloing to a Russian coach and he did have the headcase problem... By which I mean no aspersion, I'd be a headcase too if I were in the position.

I would add also Polina Shelepen: yes, she's young (only 18), and she's had some Junior success, even if she has never been on the JWC podium, but after the coaching change and the disastrous 2012-2013 season (she couldn't even reach the podium in Seniors B ) we've never heard anything about her... Injuries, I think, are what still make it impossible for her to train and compete, and the plan to compete for Israel never came true... But I really liked her, after all she was able to land two 3-3s in one program, and I think that (especially during the 2011-2012 season) she was under-appreciated, artistically: yes, she doesn't have Carolina's SS and she isn't as graceful as Sasha, but I liked her style and the consistency of her jumps that made her programs look very solid (the same as Lipnitskaya, at that time they were actually both coached by tutberidze...).
    I hope she'll come back!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    I think that it is notable that a number of the women being brought up--Kimmie, Mirai, Caroline, Naomi--were all heavily hyped before they finished growing. Things changed for them when their bodies matured. Fans and the federation need to be more careful about putting such high expectations on young skaters because we should all know that everything can change with a few inches and some curves.
    Couldn't agree more about the young girls. PLEASE, fans and media, stop hyping female skaters who aren't physically mature. It does no one any favors, least of all the skaters. In remains a fact in this sport that is not kind to mature female bodies, so it seems kinda creepy to set these girls up and then commentate endlessly about how they aren't what they once were. All because of a natural process.

Custom Title
    I would like to see Abbott win a world medal and then retire happily. I think if Dai and Chan don't win gold, which is impossible that they both can, then they would not have skated to their full potential - like or dislike. However, there are only two American spots for the men. It appears from these posts Rippon and Brown have taken the lead but you also have Max Aaron, jeremy Abbott and if you still believe Evan is really going to compete the OGM. This doesn't preclude Dornbush and Minor and other more "minor"players excuse the pun.

Quote Originally Posted by Fruit Loops View Post
    I agree about both Cohen and Sandhu. Cohen made it closer to her potential than Sandu ever did but I still think she was gifted a medal at Torino. I really felt for Suguri and Rochette that year as they skated very well only to land off the podium. Rochette I could understand a little as she still didn't quite project that confidence that came in the following seasons. Anyways, Cohen could and should have been a legend. I was introduced to her skating in 2002 and I was so excited to see what she would come to be but it never really happened.

Other skaters that come to mind include Cynthia Phanuef. She never had consistency but the judges seemed very ready to reward her with high PCS. She seemed hampered by both nerves and a sudden growth spurt then there was the 'controversy' the year she broke through and won nationals but was sent to Junior Worlds. Still debatable whether that was a good decision or not. Might not matter because of the ensuing growth spurt.

There was a Japanese skater whose name escapes me at the moment. She was in the post-Suguri era and she won the Four Continents in 2004. I remember she had a very lovely style and seemed to do well at the GP but after that season I never really heard from her again.
    Yukari NAKANO?

Elena Sokolova always seemed on the verge of greatness. She was still fun to watch, though.

Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    I'm going to tweak the intent of the thread... and include Sasha Cohen in the discussion.

Yes, she has US Championships, Olympic medal, WC medal, multiple GP wins... there are many, many skaters who would be thrilled with that resume, and rightly so.

But she never became what she could have been. She had the talent, the look, the charisma to become one of the all time greats in our sport... an icon on the level of Peggy Fleming. Instead, she had a very good career, but will be remembered by few in 20 years.
    Cohen actually had 3 world medals and never finished worse than 5th anywhere in her whole senior career. Out of 21 senior (international) competitions she was only off the podium 6 times (and again, never lower than 5th); if you only count from 2002 forward she was in 15 competitions and only landed off the podium once, at the world championships, where she was 4th.

While I lurrrrved Cohen (and still do) and was gutted for her for many years that she didn't reach her 'potential' as we are discussing, I've come to think differently about it. I think, given her shortcomings, that she actually exceeded her potential in some ways. While some think she wasn't mentally tough (and there may be some truth in that) I think it is more so true that she was a good, but not a great, jumper at a time when a fall on a jump hurt you a lot more than it does now. I actually think if she had competed under COP she'd have often placed higher than she did under 6.0 (and as I already discussed, she always placed very high, potential aside). While her potential in a fantasy world where she was a very strong jumper was doubtless #1 in the world at everything, her potential in the real world where we live I think is reflected accurately in her results, and she probably more or less did the best she could with what she had (if she could have improved her jumps in some way is a different question and outside the scope of what I am currently saying).

Custom Title
    Jenni Vähämaa. Mikkeline Kierkgaard.

Custom Title
    I really disagree with the OP about Kimmie, if winning a World Championship isn't Breaking Through, then what is it?.. Sure she went downhill after that but she had her time on the spotlight if only very briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Cohen actually had 3 world medals and never finished worse than 5th anywhere in her whole senior career. Out of 21 senior (international) competitions she was only off the podium 6 times (and again, never lower than 5th); if you only count from 2002 forward she was in 15 competitions and only landed off the podium once, at the world championships, where she was 4th.

While I lurrrrved Cohen (and still do) and was gutted for her for many years that she didn't reach her 'potential' as we are discussing, I've come to think differently about it. I think, given her shortcomings, that she actually exceeded her potential in some ways. While some think she wasn't mentally tough (and there may be some truth in that) I think it is more so true that she was a good, but not a great, jumper at a time when a fall on a jump hurt you a lot more than it does now. I actually think if she had competed under COP she'd have often placed higher than she did under 6.0 (and as I already discussed, she always placed very high, potential aside). While her potential in a fantasy world where she was a very strong jumper was doubtless #1 in the world at everything, her potential in the real world where we live I think is reflected accurately in her results, and she probably more or less did the best she could with what she had (if she could have improved her jumps in some way is a different question and outside the scope of what I am currently saying).
    Standing on the world podium and olympic silver medal is good engough to be considered breakthrough in my book. Also, Cohen is a talked about skater. Many people when they want to talk about aristry, spins and beutiful skating they mention Sasha.. You even have people like Mao Asada saying they look up to Cohen.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post

This is how I've always felt about Sasha. If we classify her as a headcase, she's probably the headcase with the best record in the history of American skating. People always pointed out, however, that she was great from the ankles up. She didn't have the best edging and stroking (especially compared to Michelle), and that undermined her jumps as well as her general skating. In most other aspects, she was superb, and her record (and her CoP scores when that system came in) reflected that. She remains one of my favorite skaters. I feel no pangs of regret when I contemplate her career, except maybe that she didn't feel she wanted to continue past 2006.

Custom Title
    It's fascinating to see the threshold for how people would define "not breaking through". For some it seems quite extraordinarily high and also required someone to leave the sport's eligible ranks while at the very top (only).

Realistically, there are so many varied definitions of this but my own thoughts tend to agree more with those who were either extremely promising early in their careers, then had it cut short (for one reason or another e.g., Stelato with her hip injury) or someone who was there for many many years as a 'road warrior' type who may have been 'waiting their turn' but were inevitably passed, sometimes repeatedly (Amber Corwin).

Skaters like Jill Trenary (multiple US championships, World Champ, Olympian) … I would say did just fine. Yes, she attempted a comeback the year of the 1992 Olympics and issues with injuries (coupled with the elimination of a relative competitive strength for her, compulsories) interfered with her ability to make a full comeback - but I would not consider her to be someone who 'never broke through'

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Johar View Post
    Yukari NAKANO?
    No, Yukina Ota, she won JWC and then 4 Continents but I think injuries cost her a promising brilliant career.

Yoshie Onda Of Japan was another skater--very athletic but lacking in artistry. Then other skaters came along with the jumps and artistry.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    I suspect that placing 4th at Nationals the year she hit 7 triples in her LP must have been disheartening
    Yeah, especially when Sasha bombed big time. But there was no way the team that year was not going to include her, Kwan, and the OGM.

I was a huge HUGE fan of APM. Loved her over the top costumes!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast