Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 124

Thread: Poised to break through--but didn't

  1. #106
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    I would put Fedor Andreev here, too. Many of those men in Canada are like so many young women skaters in the US, so much depth it's hard to breakthrough in your own country. Jayson Denomee had asthma, so he ran out of steam. He disappeared after 2005 (I think he retired). So many were looking to be the Next One, but fell short.

  2. #107
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,747
    Derrick Delmore, though he skated at Nationals many times.

  3. #108
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    I would put Fedor Andreev here, too. Many of those men in Canada are like so many young women skaters in the US, so much depth it's hard to breakthrough in your own country. Jayson Denomee had asthma, so he ran out of steam. He disappeared after 2005 (I think he retired). So many were looking to be the Next One, but fell short.
    The mention of Denomee makes me think of Langdon, another skater from the same time period. IIRC, he finished in the top 10 at worlds in '98 and then failed to make the national team in '99, after a disastrous skate which left him in 7th? place at Canadian Nats. I don't think anyone had actually hyped him up to be a serious world contender though.. he was kind of just a placeholder second-guy in between Stojko and Sandhu.

  4. #109
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    The mention of Denomee makes me think of Langdon, another skater from the same time period. IIRC, he finished in the top 10 at worlds in '98 and then failed to make the national team in '99, after a disastrous skate which left him in 7th? place at Canadian Nats. I don't think anyone had actually hyped him up to be a serious world contender though.. he was kind of just a placeholder second-guy in between Stojko and Sandhu.
    Yeah, 1997 was his best year, second at Canadians, 9th at Worlds. Eighth at Worlds the following year, slipped to third at Canadians and was in Sandhu's shadow because of the COA not allowing Sandhu to go to Canadians. I say we should have sent Sandhu, or any third skater. We had three spots, we wasted that third spot because of the COA's red tape. Langdon was forgotten but came through for Canada at Worlds and finished 12th in Nagano. After that, it all went downhill. As you said, he had a disastrous performance in 1999, in fact, he had a disastrous sesaon that year, with an ankle injury that hampered his training. Then he had to withdraw from Canadians the next year due to a knee injury. You're right that he was a place holder, Sandhu took over his spot and the attention, and was believed to be The Next One. Had Langdon had better luck after '99 he may have been able
    to regain a spot on the World Team or National Team, but there was so much depth in Canada and everyone was jockeying for position.
    He was a classy guy. He'd just go about his business, he never complained or made excuses. Denomee was also a good guy. Ben Ferreira was another one, never really made any big marks internationally though he did go to Worlds a few times, but was a good sportsman, never once complained about anything and had a positive attitude. When he took the ice for his last performance at Canadians in 2006, he got a standing ovation before he even started, everyone liked him.

  5. #110
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    409
    I have fond memories of Derrick Delmore. I never knew if he was truly about to break through or was just featured because he was a bit of a good example, being African-American and apparently quite a top student as well.

    Does anybody remember when Lifetime used to broadcast the junior worlds? I remember one year the US was sending three giggly girls with cute names: Kimmie (Meisner), Katy (Taylor?) and someone named Dannie. I think Kimmie came in second to a Russian named Kristina Obsalova. I always remembered that name, but she was never seen again. I wonder what happened to her.

  6. #111
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    I have fond memories of Derrick Delmore. I never knew if he was truly about to break through or was just featured because he was a bit of a good example, being African-American and apparently quite a top student as well.

    Does anybody remember when Lifetime used to broadcast the junior worlds? I remember one year the US was sending three giggly girls with cute names: Kimmie (Meisner), Katy (Taylor?) and someone named Dannie. I think Kimmie came in second to a Russian named Kristina Obsalova. I always remembered that name, but she was never seen again. I wonder what happened to her.
    2004 World JUniors, I googled it. Kimmie was second, Katy was third. Yukina Ota won. Danielle Kahle was the third girl. I remember she skated to Beauty and the Beast at the 2006 US nationals.

  7. #112
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Yeah, 1997 was his best year, second at Canadians, 9th at Worlds. Eighth at Worlds the following year, slipped to third at Canadians and was in Sandhu's shadow because of the COA not allowing Sandhu to go to Canadians. I say we should have sent Sandhu, or any third skater. We had three spots, we wasted that third spot because of the COA's red tape. Langdon was forgotten but came through for Canada at Worlds and finished 12th in Nagano. After that, it all went downhill. As you said, he had a disastrous performance in 1999, in fact, he had a disastrous sesaon that year, with an ankle injury that hampered his training. Then he had to withdraw from Canadians the next year due to a knee injury. You're right that he was a place holder, Sandhu took over his spot and the attention, and was believed to be The Next One. Had Langdon had better luck after '99 he may have been able
    to regain a spot on the World Team or National Team, but there was so much depth in Canada and everyone was jockeying for position.
    He was a classy guy. He'd just go about his business, he never complained or made excuses. Denomee was also a good guy. Ben Ferreira was another one, never really made any big marks internationally though he did go to Worlds a few times, but was a good sportsman, never once complained about anything and had a positive attitude. When he took the ice for his last performance at Canadians in 2006, he got a standing ovation before he even started, everyone liked him.
    I remember that whole debacle about the third spot but I can't remember why Sandhu wasn't allowed to compete at the Olympics, just that he wasn't??

    I too enjoyed Ben Ferreira and I was at that Canadian Nationals watching live in '06.

  8. #113
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Sandhu wasn't allowed to compete mostly due to the COA's red tape. They said he hadn't competed in enough senior events (He just turned senior) to meet their standard so he couldn't go. The only one who had (aside from Stojko) was Jeff Langdon, so because of that the COA said we could only send two despite securing three berths. So Sandhu wasn't allowed to go. Sandhu never got over it, he was bitter about it until the day he retired.

    You had to like Ben Ferreira, he was such a likeable skater, even if he never made any big noise, he was a good embassador, and also a spokesperson for Medic Alert.

  9. #114
    - * - blue_idealist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    Sandhu wasn't allowed to compete mostly due to the COA's red tape. They said he hadn't competed in enough senior events (He just turned senior) to meet their standard so he couldn't go. The only one who had (aside from Stojko) was Jeff Langdon, so because of that the COA said we could only send two despite securing three berths. So Sandhu wasn't allowed to go. Sandhu never got over it, he was bitter about it until the day he retired.

    You had to like Ben Ferreira, he was such a likeable skater, even if he never made any big noise, he was a good embassador, and also a spokesperson for Medic Alert.
    I didn't know that Ben was a medic alert spokesman - cool. Another Canadian man I miss a bit is Chris Mabee.

  10. #115
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I didn't know that Ben was a medic alert spokesman - cool. Another Canadian man I miss a bit is Chris Mabee.
    Yup, he is asthmatic and has severe allergies. I learned that from one of the many books on skating I had. Yeah, I miss Mabee too. I think he retired in 2008, after not making the World Team. I miss Shawn Sawyer, too. I've seen him perform live on shows a few times.

  11. #116
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    58
    Lateia Hubert...

  12. #117
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    There was also Hanae Yokoya, a Japanese skater during the 90s, before Japan became the force in single skating it is today. She was tenth in the world twice, then fell to twenty third (I think she was injured) then disappeared.
    Wow you must be such a hard-core skating fan to remember a (seemingly on a world scale) obscure skater as Hanae! Her showing at Skate Canada and NHK in the 95/96 season was wonderful (finishing 2nd to Michelle and Lu Chen, respectively). She had such a gorgeous lutz and had charisma. The following season she went overseas to work with a different team and an ambitious new age program and never really came back to the top form. Her body change didn't help at all.

    Someone mentioned Yukina Ota. She's like Sasha Cohen of Japan, in that she had such beautiful lines and flexibility, but her skating skills weren't the greatest. Her SP at Skate Canada 2003 (came 2nd after Sasha I think) was so special.

    Tanja Szewczenko looked like she was having a great "comeback", winning both GP events in the '97/'98 season only to lose the GPF to Tara. She didn't go to Nagano for a reason I can't recall.

    Naomi Nari Nam- Remember the mean comment from the ABC reporter at '99 Nationals? "This is what the skating world has been waiting for" next to Michelle?

    Gosh I miss the 90s!!!

  13. #118
    Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bible Belt
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop1 View Post
    2004 World JUniors, I googled it. Kimmie was second, Katy was third. Yukina Ota won. Danielle Kahle was the third girl. I remember she skated to Beauty and the Beast at the 2006 US nationals.
    Are you sure? I could have sworn it was the year Miki Ando finally won. I remember the informal spot with the giggly girly girls because they reminded me of my friends' daughters!!! Yeah, Kimmie, Katy and Dani. Dotting their i's with hearts, lol.

    Kristina Oblasova was a travesty. Anyone that thought Ann Patrice McDonough didn't care needs to go back to that competition. A near perfect program, AP was so into it, and she knew she had it. And then she didn't... She disguised her feelings most of the time, but not this one, she was ready to cut a B. She came back the next year and won, thank god. So things do work out. I cannot understand Oblasova. She wasn't good. At all.

  14. #119
    Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bible Belt
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by hikki View Post
    Wow you must be such a hard-core skating fan to remember a (seemingly on a world scale) obscure skater as Hanae! Her showing at Skate Canada and NHK in the 95/96 season was wonderful (finishing 2nd to Michelle and Lu Chen, respectively). She had such a gorgeous lutz and had charisma. The following season she went overseas to work with a different team and an ambitious new age program and never really came back to the top form. Her body change didn't help at all.

    Someone mentioned Yukina Ota. She's like Sasha Cohen of Japan, in that she had such beautiful lines and flexibility, but her skating skills weren't the greatest. Her SP at Skate Canada 2003 (came 2nd after Sasha I think) was so special.

    Tanja Szewczenko looked like she was having a great "comeback", winning both GP events in the '97/'98 season only to lose the GPF to Tara. She didn't go to Nagano for a reason I can't recall.

    Naomi Nari Nam- Remember the mean comment from the ABC reporter at '99 Nationals? "This is what the skating world has been waiting for" next to Michelle?

    Gosh I miss the 90s!!!
    I remember Hanae Yokoya! She had strange crossovers. I loved her program to Kitaro (?). Then she upped and disappeared.

    Yukina Ota was a miracle. Unfortunately she couldn't jump her way out of a bag.

    Szewczenko w/d from Nagano due to the flu that was going around. Poor thing never caught a break. If there is an illness or injury in the air, seek out Szewczenko because that's where you will find it.

    NNN. I remember that comment hikki!!! lol I intensely disliked Lesley Visser and her beyond awful bird's nest haircut.

  15. #120
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,747
    Hanae skating to Kitaro music:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gy-Nzjuxx4

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •