Oscar Snubs Poll | Golden Skate

Oscar Snubs Poll

Entertainment Weekly is running an "Oscar Snubs" poll at
http://www.timeforaol.com/tii/entertainment/oscars/2004/feature/ew/0,9514,583622,00.html

Anybody want to list their own Oscar snubs?

I'll go first.

Best Picture:
In America
American Splendor

Best Director
Jim Sheridon, 'In America'

Best Actor
Paul Giamatti, 'American Splendor'

Best Actress
Jennifer Connelly, 'House of Sand and Fog'

Best Supporting Actor
Viggo Mortensen, 'The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King'

Best Supporting Actress
Maria Bello, 'The Cooler'

You can use EW's list or use your own snubettes. I still think the Academy did a great job this year, much better than usual; but hey, it's no fun if you can't kvetch:)
Rgirl

equestrianguy

On the Ice
You know what? There werent really any snubbs.. I thought the Acadamey did an excellent job nominating this year.. It would have been nice to see Cate Blanchett up for best actress because I think she is brill, but hey can't have everything..lol I thought The Magdelen Sisters would of had a few noms this year.. It was quite an original and powerful film.. Also, Dirty Pretty Things, which did get a nod for best original screenplay.. Go see it if you havent had the chance.. Quite and interesting turn in the end!~ lol I cant remember her name, but the girl from Ameile is in it and I think she is lovely.. I would have liked to see Finding Nemo for best pic.. Oh well, like Dori says..Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....just keep swimming..lol So everyone get swimming and see the oscar noms before the BIG night!.............. Peace

guinevere

Final Flight
I also was quite pleased with this year's nominations, but of course I have some snubs as well:

Best Picture: Finding Nemo, American Splendor

Best Actor: Paul Giamatti, American Splendor

Best Actress: Evan Rachel Wood, Thirteen

Best Supporting Actor: Sean Astin, LOTR, William H Macy, Seabiscuit

Best Supporting Actress: Maria Bello, The Cooler

guinevere

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Good thread, RGirl!

Best Picture:
Cold Mountain
Big Fish

Best Director:
Anthony Minghella - "Cold Mountain"
Tim Burton - "Big Fish"

Best Actress:
(I'm actually quite pleased with all of the Best Actress nominations, but if I could add a few more I would)
Nicole Kidman - "Cold Mountain"
Charlotte Rampling - "Swimming Pool"

Best Actor:
They did a great job this year!

Best Supporting Actress:
Hope Davis - "American Splendor"

Best Supporting Actor:
Albert Finney - "Big Fish", To me this WAS the finest Best Supporting performance I have seen this year.
Ian McKellen - "Lord of the Rings"
Sean Astin - "Lord of the Rings"

Michibanana

Rinkside
Best Picture: Finding Nemo

Actually, Finding Nemo got nominated for best animated film. I could be wrong, but I don't think animated (even CG) films are eligible for the regular best picture category now that there's one for animation.

I only really have one snubbed/was robbed pick, and that would be Sean Astin for ROTK. I thought he gave the performance of the film. Viggo was great as usual, but I though Sean stole the show, and I actually thought Viggo gave a much better performance in FOTR.

From what I've heard of it (and from the brief clips I've seen), "In America" probably should have been nominated, too. I really want to see it, but since I'm strapped for cash right now I decided to wait until it came out on video. I've always been impressed with Samantha Morton's work (anybody see the "Jane Eyre" miniseries she did for A&E in 1998?), so I was thrilled to see her get the nod. I'd love for her to win, but it looks like Charlize Theron is pretty much a lock. Which I wouldn't mind at all, either.

Johar

Medalist
Why were Viggo, Sean and Sir Ian snubbed for Return of the King?

How about Tobey Maguire in Seabiscuit.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Totally agree about Sean Astin........should have been picked for best supporting actor for LOTR........should have had the nod for Rudy years ago........a very over-looked actor in my opinion.

Also, the actor who played the doctor in "Master and Commander", he also played opposite Russell in "A Beautiful Mind" ........he's wonderful.....42

mike79

On the Ice
Completely agree about Sean Astin. Sam was the heart and soul of ROTK. If Ian McKellen could be nominated for FOTR then Sean could surely have been nominated this time around.

Joesitz said:
Best Actress -= Scarlet Johansen.
Joe
For "Lost in Translation" or "Girl With a Pearl Earring"? This is a big topic of film discussion, Joe. Which film did Scarlet Johanssen get snubbed for?;)
Rgirl

I only saw Lost in Translation and I was comparing the performances to Brief Encounts that David Lean masterpiece without the sweeping scenes.

Watching Johanson was as good if not better than Celia Johnson. Johanson was, for me, a totally real person in that situation - not a train station - but a city which boxed in non Japanese speaking tourists and businessmen. She hated her existence there but kept up appearances even to include humor.
Johanson did it beautifully and without straining the role. A very subtle perfect performance. She made me care about her and wonder what would happen to her after the conclusion.

(Not a role for Anna Magnani.)

Joe

Oh yes, I almost forgot. I haven't seen Girl with one earing yet. I'm sure she does a good job. I kinda think she will be the Meryl Streep of the future.

Last edited:
Great answer, Joe. Have you ever seen a little 1996 movie called "Manny and Lo"? Scarlett Johansson plays the younger sister of a pregnant teen who run away from foster homes and kidnap a woman (Mary Kay Place) whom they believe can help with the pregnancy. Johansson was only 12 years old at the time and she carries the entire film. Only an okay film overall, but worth renting just to see Johansson. When I saw it, I thought, "Wow, this Johansson girl is incredible. I hope she doesn't grow out of it," which happens to a lot of young actors as they mature and lose the natural inclination to play (think Molly Ringwald and many others whose names we have forgotten). But SJ has only gotten better--and she made "Translation" and "Pearl Earring" when she was only 18 or 19. Can't wait to see what she does in the future, I agree, could be another Meryl.
Rgirl

rgirl - Will check out Manny and Lo soon. Johansson acts without any kind of schooling. Very similar to Ingrid Bergman. Totally natural.

While I adore Streep, she is a method actor and that's ok.

Joe

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I just thought of another one........."The Color Purple", one of he best movies I have ever seen.......totally snubbed Speilberg that year, both as best picture, but for director as well...........42

Lcp88

On the Ice
My only complaint is that Tim Burton and Big Fish weren't nominated for Best Director and Best Picture. Other than that, I thought the Academy did pretty well this year.
Laura

guinevere

Final Flight
Rgirl said:
Great answer, Joe. Have you ever seen a little 1996 movie called "Manny and Lo"? ...
Rgirl
Wow, Scarlett Johansson was in that? I saw it when it came out - now I'll have to rent it again. Thanks for the reminder of that film, Rgirl!

guinevere