NBC Broadcast - Trophee Eric Bompard | Golden Skate

NBC Broadcast - Trophee Eric Bompard

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Starts at 4:30 Eastern time - unless your local market delays it. Mine usually does, but not today.

I think it's fun to talk about the skating while watching it on TV. I wonder if there will be any coverage of dance or pairs this week.

sweetskates1

Medalist
I am getting ready to watch it :)

Starts at 4:30 Eastern time - unless your local market delays it. Mine usually does, but not today.

I think it's fun to talk about the skating while watching it on TV. I wonder if there will be any coverage of dance or pairs this week.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
after watching TEB on Universal with Ryan Bradley's commentary all I can say is... I miss his voice... Johnny is good, but I really enjoyed listening to Ryan this weekend.

A.H.Black

Final Flight
I'm just happy when announcers don't feel a need to tell me about every mistake - which I can see for myself.

I'm going to nit-pick for a moment on Ashley. Maybe it's my TV (which is old) but I kept thinking there was a line down her right cheek - from her ear to the corner of her mouth. It was like she had a strand of hair caught in her mouth, although I knew she didn't. I don't know if there is too much red tone out there or if her make-up needs a bit of adjusting. Once I noticed it, I found it distracting.

Happy for her win.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
when they two foot a jump or under rotate they should point it out... a lot of the time they point out the obvious and ignore the not so obvious until the end (if at all)...

I will say that Johnny and Tara have it easier than Scott and Sandra - they know the outcome before the broadcast and they are able to edit what they say to make it fit. They don't have to guess in the moment. And they're watching the same feed we are, they aren't there live in the arena. Completely different experience.

emma

Record Breaker
So, this is for NBC - thanks for showing skating and thanks for giving us Terry, Johnny and Tara. But, Two at at time please - Terry and Johnny, Terry and Tara because with three, we learn nothing. Terry gives a few of those gems of stats about a skater, but we don't really get any analysis of the skating. I was so looking forward to Weir's take on Jason and Chan etc and to Tara on the Russian girls and Ashley and the distinctions among them...alas, we didn't get any of that. They were nice together but not informative together. Just my two cents.

Chan's even better on tv...and although I agree that Ashley needs to do so more or different emoting in this LP, I think her edges and precision (and yes the mistakes too) appear so clear and crisp on tv. Great to see Adelina do a clean LP...my heart aches for Gao, does anyone know what happened? Cesario looking good!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I will say that Johnny and Tara have it easier than Scott and Sandra - they know the outcome before the broadcast and they are able to edit what they say to make it fit. They don't have to guess in the moment.

Are you sure that NBC's GP commentary is not recorded "live to tape?" (As many Olympic events -- in lots of sports -- are, for example.)

I was not paying attention closely enough to have a strong opinion whether it is or not.
But to me, Han Yan's and Yuzuru Hanyu's lapses (for instance) seemed to take the commentators by surprise -- as if what they said were real-time reactions.

ranjake

Final Flight
Chan was WONDERFUL. NOT always my favorite; as I feel he's sometimes overmarked when he has numerous mistakes, but those two programs were perfection to me.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Are you sure that NBC's GP commentary is not recorded "live to tape?" (As many Olympic events -- in lots of sports -- are, for example.)

It's possible, but even if it is - they can (and do) go back and edit the audio.

Art&Sport

Medalist
So, this is for NBC - thanks for showing skating and thanks for giving us Terry, Johnny and Tara. But, Two at at time please - Terry and Johnny, Terry and Tara because with three, we learn nothing. Terry gives a few of those gems of stats about a skater, but we don't really get any analysis of the skating. I was so looking forward to Weir's take on Jason and Chan etc and to Tara on the Russian girls and Ashley and the distinctions among them...alas, we didn't get any of that. They were nice together but not informative together. Just my two cents.

Chan's even better on tv...and although I agree that Ashley needs to do so more or different emoting in this LP, I think her edges and precision (and yes the mistakes too) appear so clear and crisp on tv. Great to see Adelina do a clean LP...my heart aches for Gao, does anyone know what happened? Cesario looking good!

ITA with your comments especially re the scarcity of relevant insights with 3 in the booth.

meem

On the Ice
Today's broadcast on NBC was weird. Now I wish I'd watched on Universal when I had the chance (won't make that mistake again). Tara and Johnny rarely id'd any of the jumps and were chatting through the skaters' programs which I found annoying. I was glad not to have to endure Scott's screeches and grunts, but at least there's some life to Scott's commentary. T&J sounded bored IMO (they most likely were not bored but they sure sounded like it). I miss ABC's coverage of figure skating.

Matilda

Medalist
I think today's broadcast didn't work as well as the previous ones because there were three people commenting. Johnny is the one who has so far been doing actual analysis of jumps, technique, etc., and he has done a terrific job with it. He was wonderful last weekend when he and Terry commented both ladies and men in Tara's absence. I'm afraid that when you need to give all three a chance to speak, there's less of an opportunity for the kind of analysis Johnny has done in the previous broadcasts. I hope they switch the format back to just two commentators. Frankly, I'd rather have Johnny and Terry do the commentary for both ladies and men... And could we please get some pairs and dance too, NBC?

ranjake

Final Flight
What did she say about our boy?! I'm gonna get her! :)

It was ODD! Something about he was slow? She DID like him; and Mrs. P is right, Johnny was far more enthusiastic :) I think, like Matilda said, the problem was the three analysts rather than the usual two. If it were only two as usual, maybe Tara could've elaborated what she meant and I would have understood.

smontgomery

Rinkside
Country
United-States
I really enjoy Tara and Johnny, and I would not place either one higher than the other. They both bring good comments, and compliment each other.

meem

On the Ice
One other thing that bothered me about NBC's Sunday broadcast: I could barely hear the music. Then, after I turned up the volume to hear the music, the commentators would start talking and their voices would be blasting away at full volume. That really made the entire "broadcast" of this sports event sound/feel fake, as if Terry, Tara and Johnny were sitting around a table chatting and in the background a video of the latest GP event was running. I like Terry but Tara and Johnny can join the club of former competitive skaters I don't care to listen to (give me Paul W., Susie W., Judy B., please).