Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who will take over as the leaders after this season

Custom Title

Who will take over as the leaders after this season

After this season it is pretty much certain that Savchenko & Szolkowy, Chan, Takahashi, Davis & White, Virtue & Moir, Pechalat & Bourzat, Joubert, Plushenko, Asada, Kim, Kostner, Suzuki, Verner, Lysacek, Abbott, Pang & Tong, and many others will be retiring. There is a decent chance (but not as certain) Volosozhar & Trankov, Wagner, Nagasu, Murakami, Kavaguti & Smirnov, Duhamel & Radford, Moore-Towers & Moscovitch, will as well. Who will take over as the new leaders with so many of the top skaters retiring. It will almost be the start of a new era, and who looks strong to start of the new quadrennial as the ones to beat right now.

Ladies: Julia, Gracie, Satoko, Ashley, Elena R.
    Men: Yuzuru, Yan
    Dance: W/P, C/L, Shibs and I/K
    Pairs: All the chinese pairs

Ana and Luca are planning to continue??? I hope so

I highly doubt that the top Canadian teams that you've mentioned will retire. They've just started to break through and could potentially medal and win world titles after this season. I would think that Ashley would also stay in for at least two more years as she has just been making her way up to the top recently.

Ice Dance: W/P!!!
    Ladies: Russian Ladies! Hopefullly Wagner and Gold (Cessario, perhaps?) Osmond
    Men: Hanyu, Machida, Brown, Rippon, Farris, Reynolds
    Pairs: MT/M, D/R and...??? not sure

Custom Title
    This year it seems that Jason Brown and Adam Rippon are really coming in to their own, and it's very exciting. Hanyu is going to be amazing for sure. I am also intrigued by Samantha Cesario; she seems like a mature skater who is capable of convincing presentation and good technique. Golly, she even made Carmen seem fresh at Trophee Pierre Bomphard.

It will be fun to see more of the ice dancers we've been watching just behind our two champion couples, such as the Shibs and W/P. The one group I'm not sure about as a whole are the pairs. Maybe I just don't know enough to be able to judge.

Custom Title
    For the men: Hanyu, Brown, Farris, Yan (I have never felt so optimistic about four young skaters coming in as I do for these four)

For the women: Lipnitskaia, Wagner and Murakami (if she hangs around).

Dance: Shibs, W/P

Pairs: no clue

Custom Title
    Ladies: Wagner, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Gold, Sotnikova. I would also add Sasha Proklova and Evgenia Medvedeva.
    Men: Hanyu, Machida, Rippon, Brown, Ten

Custom Title
    Ladies: Lipnitskaya, Gold, Radionova, Sotnikova, Miyahara
    Men: Fernandez, Hanyu, Kovtun, Rippon, Reynolds
    Dance: Shibs, W/P, C/L
    Pairs: Sui/Han, MT/Mosk

Custom Title
    My guesses would be:

Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch (if they stay), Sui & Han (if she doesnt grow anymore), Peng & Zhang, and the Italians who will keep improving. I do think Volosozhar & Trankov might end up staying though, in which case they will continue to dominate. I dont see the long term potential in Duhamel & Radford, whether they continue or not. I think right now is their window. The same applies to Barazova & Larionov.

Men- Hanyu, Fernandez, Kovtun, Brown, Farris

Dance- Weaver & Poje I think will be the ones to beat after this season. Ilinykh & Katsalapov could become stronger contenders. Cappellini & Lanotte as well.

Ladies- I think the Russian ladies might completely take over as a group after this season.

Custom Title
    Hanyu for men and a Russian for ladies.

Custom Title
    Ladies- not sure if Wagner will stay. But she should if she wants some world medals as I imagine she'll continue to have high PCS. The Russian girls (although I think Tukt will have a hard time) & eventually Gracie. Not as hopeful for Osmond or Li. Angela Wang or Hannah Miller.

Men's- Jason. Kotvun. Hanyu. Max if he gets jumps back could be a factor on the GP if not Worlds. maybe Kevin Reynolds.

Pairs- MT/M could dominate next year. The younger Chinese pairs. Think US stock will rise with Denney/Frazier & Scimeca/kneirim. Not sure if castelli/Shnapir will stay but they might try if Boston gets worlds. Hope they do as there's no real pro circuit they're just coming into their own as performers.

Dance- hope W/P stay awhile. I/K. C/L. Less clear who will ultimately be US #1. Thought it would be C/B with shibs dumped but that's looking far less certain

Custom Title
    I think U.S #1 will be wide open between Chock & Bates, Shibutanis, and Hubbel & Donohue next season unless one of those teams really has a spectacular showing this season (which I highly doubt). I am thinking if Hubbel & Donohue can make the Olympic team it will be them. I see them as having the most long term improvement left of those three teams. I don't see any of them top 4 or 5 in the World even next year though. I think the Russians, Weaver & Poje, and the Italians will be the ones above them.

Moore-Towers & Moscovitch would make a wonderful World Champion. Such a great team and I far prefer them to the overrated and overscored Duhamel & Radford.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara View Post
    Ladies: Wagner, Lipnitskaya, Radionova, Gold, Sotnikova. I would also add Sasha Proklova and Evgenia Medvedeva.
    Men: Hanyu, Machida, Rippon, Brown, Ten
    Which Ten Jeremy or Denis - I assume Denis but you never know?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    My guesses would be:

Pairs- Moore-Towers & Moscovitch (if they stay), Sui & Han (if she doesnt grow anymore), Peng & Zhang, and the Italians who will keep improving. I do think Volosozhar & Trankov might end up staying though, in which case they will continue to dominate. I dont see the long term potential in Duhamel & Radford, whether they continue or not. I think right now is their window. The same applies to Barazova & Larionov.

Men- Hanyu, Fernandez, Kovtun, Brown, Farris

Dance- Weaver & Poje I think will be the ones to beat after this season. Ilinykh & Katsalapov could become stronger contenders. Cappellini & Lanotte as well.

Ladies- I think the Russian ladies might completely take over as a group after this season.
    I agree with your analysis for the most part except I am not sure if the Russians will survive puberty in the ladies AND in the pairs - the Italians actually have gone up and down. 2012 - 2013 was their chance at the bronze and they failed miserably.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    Which Ten Jeremy or Denis - I assume Denis but you never know?
    Denis.

Custom Title
    I'm sure Ashley will continue after Sochi! If she doesn't medal in Sochi, I wouldn't be surprised to see her compete in 2018 Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    Ladies- not sure if Wagner will stay. But she should if she wants some world medals as I imagine she'll continue to have high PCS. The Russian girls (although I think Tukt will have a hard time) & eventually Gracie. Not as hopeful for Osmond or Li. Angela Wang or Hannah Miller.

Men's- Jason. Kotvun. Hanyu. Max if he gets jumps back could be a factor on the GP if not Worlds. maybe Kevin Reynolds.

Pairs- MT/M could dominate next year. The younger Chinese pairs. Think US stock will rise with Denney/Frazier & Scimeca/kneirim. Not sure if castelli/Shnapir will stay but they might try if Boston gets worlds. Hope they do as there's no real pro circuit they're just coming into their own as performers.

Dance- hope W/P stay awhile. I/K. C/L. Less clear who will ultimately be US #1. Thought it would be C/B with shibs dumped but that's looking far less certain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast