Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Should Ashley skip the GPF

Custom Title
    Ashley needs to go to the GPF. It will be an invaluable chance to show up other skaters and further establish herself as a contender.

I agree she is a contender and not a second tier skater. Caro had two good seasons and bombs every Olympics. I love her but the jump content is not there. Maybe Mao is a podium lock, but I disagree Caro's programs this year make her look all that special. Ashley is not tall and thin. Who looks better than Alissa? No one, but she can only spin with consistency. I think slams at Ashley's body are unfair. There is clearly a favorite type-skinny minny minny. I think a certain lightness appears missing from Ashley, and maybe everyone can't be Sasha or Mao. I think she looks lovely.

Ashley unfortunately has a weaker LP artistically than last two years. If Chan can use same programs then why should others get automatic ding for same thing? At any rate, only YuNa is absent and Ashley is behind only Mao in the standings. If Ashley could improve her speed a tad and forever lose her double foot when nervous, she'd be close to the best. I waited for her to get her due and it happened. Also with Akiko. She is wonderful. Her last year's LP was amazing. At 28 she has outskated Mao but they overlook that in Japan.

I only want to see YuNa Mao back in those spots if they truly earn it, no questions asked. I'm already tired of 'the big three.' talk. They all make mistakes, only YuNa has the incredible jump consistency. It is still ice. And politics matter. I hope Julia earns the bronzr in Sochi lots of folks have awarded her already. For me, she is not remotely more than a gumby technician. For once, could the numbers be realistic for all?

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I agree she is a contender and not a second tier skater. Caro had two good seasons and bombs every Olympics. I love her but the jump content is not there. Maybe Mao is a podium lock, but I disagree Caro's programs this year make her look all that special. Ashley is not tall and thin. Who looks better than Alissa? No one, but she can only spin with consistency. I think slams at Ashley's body are unfair. There is clearly a favorite type-skinny minny minny. I think a certain lightness appears missing from Ashley, and maybe everyone can't be Sasha or Mao. I think she looks lovely.

Ashley unfortunately has a weaker LP artistically than last two years. If Chan can use same programs then why should others get automatic ding for same thing? At any rate, only YuNa is absent and Ashley is behind only Mao in the standings. If Ashley could improve her speed a tad and forever lose her double foot when nervous, she'd be close to the best. I waited for her to get her due and it happened. Also with Akiko. She is wonderful. Her last year's LP was amazing. At 28 she has outskated Mao but they overlook that in Japan.

I only want to see YuNa Mao back in those spots if they truly earn it, no questions asked. I'm already tired of 'the big three.' talk. They all make mistakes, only YuNa has the incredible jump consistency. It is still ice. And politics matter. I hope Julia earns the bronzr in Sochi lots of folks have awarded her already. For me, she is not remotely more than a gumby technician. For once, could the numbers be realistic for all?
    So, do you think Ashley should skip the GPF?

No, def go, did I leave that out? She is consistent and I hope we see her on podium. I don't think they will give her gold over decent Mao but silver or bronze should be easy with her jump technique. The judges love Julia, and I agree she technically can come close to YuNa right now, but she is not in same league as an artist with top 5 women. But clean 3/3s are what wins in ladies. Only Chan has this amazing fall cushion. Ashley can win silver. If Mao bombs, which I don't wish, A clean Ashley could get gold. That wou;ld be great, and set her up for her 3rd National title. Grace may have great gifts, but until she gets consistent, Ashley is our girl.

Samantha is my great hope for number 3. Christina was not impressive at TEB. I liked her last season's program's better. She should be consistent with the year off. I'm disappointed now and want Ashley to challenge for gold at GP. Easily win Nationals, and if she cannot podium at Olympics, there is a great chance for World podium-I hope. I believe in her drive.

Custom Title
    Ashley needs to go to the GPF. Hopefully she will skate very well and avoid injuring herself as she did last year. Even if Kostner doesn't make the final (and, imo, that's looking likely because I doubt Carolina will beat Lipnitskaia at CoR with her current jump layout and Julia's inflated PCS. And Kostner needs a win or a silver medal with an outrageously high point total to qualify), the GPF is a great opportunity for Ashley to put her 3/3 out there in international competition. Her programs were more polished overall at TEB, but she had costly mistakes on her jump elements in both the SP and FS. She could do a lot for her medal chances in Sochi if she manages to place top 2 in Fukuoka. If Mao wins and Ashley is a close second, Ashley will separate herself from some of the other contenders (Julia, Adelina, etc.). If Ashley manages to beat Asada and/or Kostner (if Carolina qualifies), it'll be even better for her reputation. Skating 2 clean and well presented programs with her 3F/3T combination is important for Ashley to do before Nationals/the Olympics. That won't happen if she stays home in CA.

Custom Title
    I was very impressed with Ashley's skate at TEB. Generally I feel she skates kind of robotically but you could tell she was "in it to win it" and I really enjoyed her performance. The fact that she went out and did the triple/triple in the SP even when she really didn't need it was exemplar. I don't know who is going to win the US Nats, and I do like Gracie, but at this moment in time I'm hoping Ashley will come out strong and send a message. I think she can medal at the Olys because she's pretty consistent and she's definitely motivated.

Have said before - am NOT a fan of Kostner.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Ashley unfortunately has a weaker LP artistically than last two years.
    I agree, but the PCS marks reflect overall reputation and content (transitions) than the quality of the program itself. Her program is good enough to compete for bronze and she is getting better PCS than ever before. I wish she had this program 2 years ago and Black Swan now.

Custom Title
    Ashley needs any of the big comps possible before Sochi. She's just sub 200 and a dark horse for a medal, she has to go to the olympics 100% prepared. she can only skip 4CC this season, IMO.

Custom Title
    If she goes to GPF and lose to both Pogo and Lip, her rep would tank. When Sochi comes around, it would be 0% chance for Ashley to beat Lip at that point. I guarantee it.

You lose to Lip in Japan, you will lose to Lip in Sochi.

Custom Title
    Ashley will probably finish 2nd or 3rd (all depends on how Mao will do) which is totally respectable. To beat the big guns you have to compete against them, and it'ss be a very bad move to meet Lip for the first time in sochi.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    If she goes to GPF and lose to both Pogo and Lip, her rep would tank. When Sochi comes around, it would be 0% chance for Ashley to beat Lip at that point. I guarantee it.

Also, she will still give Lip a run for her money -- look at the errors she made in TEB and still ended up only 3 points shy of Lipnitskaia's PB. In the SP, Wagner's combo was URed, and yet she scored essentially the same as Lip's SP at Skate Canada. Note that Wagner's PCS in her flawed TEB freeskate is 5 points higher than Lipnitskaia's perfect SC freeskate (and Ashley had a 3-point PCS edge if we're talking short programs).

Like Mao, Wagner will only lose to Lip if she messes up, and controlling your own destiny is a good position to be in going into the GPF, rather than having to skate perfectly and hope others make errors which is what Julia/Pogorilaya will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    I think she should skip it. It's not as prestigious as it once was. Can an athlete skip if they want? I think she should concentrate on improving her programs and resting up for the rest of the season.

We have seen over the years that toward the end of the season Ashley starts to run out of gas. I want her to take a small break and be fresh for Nationals and the Olympics.
    The GPF is still as prestigious as ever it was. After all, the top skaters spend the first half of the season trying to qualify for it. Of course Ashley should compete in it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mao88 View Post
    The GPF is still as prestigious as ever it was. After all, the top skaters spend the first half of the season trying to qualify for it. Of course Ashley should compete in it.
    Other than Worlds (and Olympics) the GPF is the only event where all the best in the world compete together. Of course it's prestigious. It also gives a huge boost to a skater's ranking if they make it there, as far as I know.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    She absolutely needs to go if she wants a shot at an Olympic medal. By competing at the GPF she will show she is up there with the 'big girls', and if she skates well it will set her up for the Olys. Plus her programs haven't really gelled and another competition will do her good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post

No she won't lose her reputation. Did Mao, Caro, or even Kanako lose their reputation when they had mediocre competitions?

It is up to Ashley how she skates. She's going to have a comfortable PCS cushion over Julia so she just has to execute her elements. If she makes too many errors, Julia can certainly top her.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast