Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Skating Needs a High Quality "Post Game" Analysis "Show"

Custom Title

Skating Needs a High Quality "Post Game" Analysis "Show"

It's clear from the those who enjoy watching almost any sport, that fans appreciate thoughtful analysis - not only during, but once a sporting event has been completed. With limited "on air" minutes, the major broadcasters tend to limit their shows to on-ice/mid program commentary - which to some, is a mixed blessing. I for one, prefer to watch a program WITHOUT someone chatting away. For me personally, it is like having someone talk during a movie (annoying/distracting) or during a musical performance. I enjoy and appreciate THOUGHTFUL and INFORMED analysis once a performance has been completed, and would find it even more worthwhile to listen in to an informed discussion of some length, once the skating has been completed.

This 'niche' has been to an extent the reason why efforts such as The Skating Lesson have garnered somewhat of an audience. BUT when I see NBC has hired a roster of experts such as Johnny Weir, Tanith Belbin and Tara Lipinsky - it only makes me wish that I could listen to THEIR podcast or post-game commentary. I suspect it would be less snark, more professionalism, and for me, more timely and worthwhile.

Thoughts?

Custom Title
    I don't think enough people watch skating itself to make a post event show viable for a network.

Custom Title
    We should be so lucky!

That would be amazing. Even ten minutes at the end with Johnny, Tara, Terry and a guest analyst would be so cool.

#TeamAUS
    Anything is better than what we have currently!

Custom Title
    The Japanese usually incorporate analysis into their news segments. I think TSN in Canada had post competition analysis for the Olympic season. You probably need a Michelle Kwan/Yuna Kim level athlete in America to serve as the foundation for the segment.

On the Ice
    I watch all new GP programs on Ice Network first. There's no chit chat, no one interrupting the flow of the skate and the music. My initial impression of a program is mine. I'm fortunate enough to have the Universal Channel in HD. That's where I go next to hear the "former skaters-current announcers" express their opinions. I guess my routine is the closest I'll get to a post skate commentary.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Is the outcry here for a U.S.-based analysis "show?"

Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong of the CBC routinely provide this exact kind of podcast. And it is available to Americans -- if they simply are willing to open their minds and ears. (I am in the U.S.)

Latest example:
    CBC Skate After Show: Grand Prix France
    CBC Sports' Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong take a look at what happened at the 2013 Grand Prix France.
    Nov 16, 2013
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/fig...#id=2418809408 (23:49 in length)

They discuss skaters of all nationalities, of course.

Maybe some of the members here can get together and make an adult version of TSL. Post it on Youtube...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Is the outcry here for a U.S.-based analysis "show?"

Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong of the CBC routinely provide this exact kind of podcast. And it is available to Americans -- if they simply are willing to open their minds and ears. (I am in the U.S.)

Latest example:
    CBC Skate After Show: Grand Prix France
    CBC Sports' Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong take a look at what happened at the 2013 Grand Prix France.
    Nov 16, 2013
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/fig...#id=2418809408 (23:49 in length)

They discuss skaters of all nationalities, of course.
    How long has the Skate After Show existed? I'm scrolling through the CBC website and I found only the Nov 16 Skate After Show in France and the Nov 10 Skate "Aftershow" in Japan. The site is a little hard to navigate, and I can't find a total list of all of their podcasts.

Didn't we see this sort of thing when Uni Sports first started covering skating or was that at the Olympics....I seem to remember Tara, JW and Peter on a couch talking....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    That would be amazing. Even ten minutes at the end with Johnny, Tara, Terry and a guest analyst would be so cool.

Sad we barely HAVE COVERAGE, BUT nbc SHOULD OFFER this at Olympics. There has to be some attempt to explain the scoring. THe third Olympics with CoP should have a few 30 minute hi quality segments explaining the scoring before singles sps and lps, focusing most on ladies. Pairs has no compelling stories, so some ice dance education would help with usa poised for gold medal.

If the networks refuse to invest in educating people who watch the OLY FS, it seems pointless to cover it anymore. People will not understand Chan's fall cushion. There has to be high quality education going into the fluff pieces. Gracie should be a great poster girl for jump education, while showing a bit of where she lives.

I totally feel spectators will come back if network makes scoring 101 fun, not tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Didn't we see this sort of thing when Uni Sports first started covering skating or was that at the Olympics....I seem to remember Tara, JW and Peter on a couch talking....
    yes, they did.

Custom Title
    Speaking as a fan of Major League Baseball and College Football, sports with plenty of talking heads doing analysis, no. Skating does not need that. In fact, every other sport needs less of that.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    Speaking as a fan of Major League Baseball and College Football, sports with plenty of talking heads doing analysis, no. Skating does not need that. In fact, every other sport needs less of that.
    But since MLB analysis, et. al will never go away, skating should have their own show to compete. I would love to see 25 shows of skating talking heads. That would be a dream come true, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Sad we barely HAVE COVERAGE, BUT nbc SHOULD OFFER this at Olympics. There has to be some attempt to explain the scoring. THe third Olympics with CoP should have a few 30 minute hi quality segments explaining the scoring before singles sps and lps, focusing most on ladies. Pairs has no compelling stories, so some ice dance education would help with usa poised for gold medal.
    I agree and it would be cool to have slow-mo replay with Tara or whoever drawing on a screen to show the angle of the edge and why so-and-so got an edge call or whatever. If football can draw plays on screens then so should skating.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast