Skating Needs a High Quality "Post Game" Analysis "Show" | Golden Skate

Skating Needs a High Quality "Post Game" Analysis "Show"

lcd

Match Penalty
Skating Needs a High Quality "Post Game" Analysis "Show"

It's clear from the those who enjoy watching almost any sport, that fans appreciate thoughtful analysis - not only during, but once a sporting event has been completed. With limited "on air" minutes, the major broadcasters tend to limit their shows to on-ice/mid program commentary - which to some, is a mixed blessing. I for one, prefer to watch a program WITHOUT someone chatting away. For me personally, it is like having someone talk during a movie (annoying/distracting) or during a musical performance. I enjoy and appreciate THOUGHTFUL and INFORMED analysis once a performance has been completed, and would find it even more worthwhile to listen in to an informed discussion of some length, once the skating has been completed.

This 'niche' has been to an extent the reason why efforts such as The Skating Lesson have garnered somewhat of an audience. BUT when I see NBC has hired a roster of experts such as Johnny Weir, Tanith Belbin and Tara Lipinsky - it only makes me wish that I could listen to THEIR podcast or post-game commentary. I suspect it would be less snark, more professionalism, and for me, more timely and worthwhile.

Thoughts?

That would be amazing. Even ten minutes at the end with Johnny, Tara, Terry and a guest analyst would be so cool. :yes:

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
The Japanese usually incorporate analysis into their news segments. I think TSN in Canada had post competition analysis for the Olympic season. You probably need a Michelle Kwan/Yuna Kim level athlete in America to serve as the foundation for the segment.

azcalder

Rinkside
I watch all new GP programs on Ice Network first. There's no chit chat, no one interrupting the flow of the skate and the music. My initial impression of a program is mine. I'm fortunate enough to have the Universal Channel in HD. That's where I go next to hear the "former skaters-current announcers" express their opinions. I guess my routine is the closest I'll get to a post skate commentary.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is the outcry here for a U.S.-based analysis "show?"

Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong of the CBC routinely provide this exact kind of podcast. And it is available to Americans -- if they simply are willing to open their minds and ears. (I am in the U.S.)

Latest example:
CBC Skate After Show: Grand Prix France
CBC Sports' Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong take a look at what happened at the 2013 Grand Prix France.
Nov 16, 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/figureskating/video/#id=2418809408 (23:49 in length)​

They discuss skaters of all nationalities, of course. :)

BlackPack

Medalist
Maybe some of the members here can get together and make an adult version of TSL. Post it on Youtube...

brightphoton

Medalist
Is the outcry here for a U.S.-based analysis "show?"

Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong of the CBC routinely provide this exact kind of podcast. And it is available to Americans -- if they simply are willing to open their minds and ears. (I am in the U.S.)

Latest example:
CBC Skate After Show: Grand Prix France
CBC Sports' Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong take a look at what happened at the 2013 Grand Prix France.
Nov 16, 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/figureskating/video/#id=2418809408 (23:49 in length)​

They discuss skaters of all nationalities, of course. :)

How long has the Skate After Show existed? I'm scrolling through the CBC website and I found only the Nov 16 Skate After Show in France and the Nov 10 Skate "Aftershow" in Japan. The site is a little hard to navigate, and I can't find a total list of all of their podcasts.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Didn't we see this sort of thing when Uni Sports first started covering skating or was that at the Olympics....I seem to remember Tara, JW and Peter on a couch talking....
That would be amazing. Even ten minutes at the end with Johnny, Tara, Terry and a guest analyst would be so cool. :yes:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Sad we barely HAVE COVERAGE, BUT nbc SHOULD OFFER this at Olympics. There has to be some attempt to explain the scoring. THe third Olympics with CoP should have a few 30 minute hi quality segments explaining the scoring before singles sps and lps, focusing most on ladies. Pairs has no compelling stories, so some ice dance education would help with usa poised for gold medal.

If the networks refuse to invest in educating people who watch the OLY FS, it seems pointless to cover it anymore. People will not understand Chan's fall cushion. There has to be high quality education going into the fluff pieces. Gracie should be a great poster girl for jump education, while showing a bit of where she lives.

I totally feel spectators will come back if network makes scoring 101 fun, not tedious.

louisa05

Final Flight
Speaking as a fan of Major League Baseball and College Football, sports with plenty of talking heads doing analysis, no. Skating does not need that. In fact, every other sport needs less of that.

leafygreens

Final Flight
Speaking as a fan of Major League Baseball and College Football, sports with plenty of talking heads doing analysis, no. Skating does not need that. In fact, every other sport needs less of that.

But since MLB analysis, et. al will never go away, skating should have their own show to compete. I would love to see 25 shows of skating talking heads. That would be a dream come true, in fact.

Sad we barely HAVE COVERAGE, BUT nbc SHOULD OFFER this at Olympics. There has to be some attempt to explain the scoring. THe third Olympics with CoP should have a few 30 minute hi quality segments explaining the scoring before singles sps and lps, focusing most on ladies. Pairs has no compelling stories, so some ice dance education would help with usa poised for gold medal.

I agree and it would be cool to have slow-mo replay with Tara or whoever drawing on a screen to show the angle of the edge and why so-and-so got an edge call or whatever. If football can draw plays on screens then so should skating.

louisa05

Final Flight

If the networks refuse to invest in educating people who watch the OLY FS, it seems pointless to cover it anymore. People will not understand Chan's fall cushion. There has to be high quality education going into the fluff pieces. Gracie should be a great poster girl for jump education, while showing a bit of where she lives.

I totally feel spectators will come back if network makes scoring 101 fun, not tedious.

Analysts could explain Chan's so called "fall cushion" for ten years straight on a devoted channel and a lot of serious figure skating fans and many more casual Olympic year fans are still going to see it as a flaw in the system. So if that is the reason you want an analysis show, it isn't going to work.

I live in a college football crazy state. There are entire radio stations devoted to analyzing the team every single day year round. It does not create understanding of the sport. It creates fanatics who talk about young athletes in ways that no one should ever talk about any other human being and think it is okay. I would hate to see that happen to skating on that level.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I live in a college football crazy state. There are entire radio stations devoted to analyzing the team every single day year round. It does not create understanding of the sport. It creates fanatics who talk about young athletes in ways that no one should ever talk about any other human being and think it is okay. I would hate to see that happen to skating on that level.

I think we already have that on message boards.

I watch the NFL channel and have always dreamed of running a figure skating channel... but it's too niche right now for it to be viable.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How long has the Skate After Show existed? I'm scrolling through the CBC website and I found only the Nov 16 Skate After Show in France and the Nov 10 Skate "Aftershow" in Japan. The site is a little hard to navigate, and I can't find a total list of all of their podcasts.

The CBC 2013 Skate America podcast is here:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the same page, you will see links to some of the 2012 CBC podcasts.

ETA, another listing with links to the 2012 CBC podcasts:

The first-ever such CBC podcast was a discussion of 2012 Skate America.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The latest installment of the CBC's "post game" analysis podcasts:

CBC Skate After Show: Grand Prix Russia
CBC Sports' Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong take a look at the sixth event of the 2013 Grand Prix season...the Grand Prix Russia.
Nov 23, 2013
http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/figureskating/video/#id=2420242474 (23:49 in length)​

Did you really mean "30"-minute segments? :rofl:
Or was that a typo for "three"-minute? :confused2:

Thirty minutes is an eternity in television time. I enjoy watching the Olympic gymnasts every four years, and one three-minute segment per day about scoring might help me enjoy my viewing even more.
But thirty minutes of Gymnastics 101 all in one chunk prob. would make my eyes glaze over. And I say that as someone who likes watching gymnastics.

bump

Match Penalty
Lol, well, with a viewership of maybe 200 people total, I don't think advertisers are exactly going to pay NBC or ABC to broadcast a "post-game" show.