Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Skating Needs a High Quality "Post Game" Analysis "Show"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Sad we barely HAVE COVERAGE, BUT nbc SHOULD OFFER this at Olympics. There has to be some attempt to explain the scoring. THe third Olympics with CoP should have a few 30 minute hi quality segments explaining the scoring before singles sps and lps, focusing most on ladies. Pairs has no compelling stories, so some ice dance education would help with usa poised for gold medal.

If the networks refuse to invest in educating people who watch the OLY FS, it seems pointless to cover it anymore. People will not understand Chan's fall cushion. There has to be high quality education going into the fluff pieces. Gracie should be a great poster girl for jump education, while showing a bit of where she lives.

I totally feel spectators will come back if network makes scoring 101 fun, not tedious.
    Analysts could explain Chan's so called "fall cushion" for ten years straight on a devoted channel and a lot of serious figure skating fans and many more casual Olympic year fans are still going to see it as a flaw in the system. So if that is the reason you want an analysis show, it isn't going to work.

I live in a college football crazy state. There are entire radio stations devoted to analyzing the team every single day year round. It does not create understanding of the sport. It creates fanatics who talk about young athletes in ways that no one should ever talk about any other human being and think it is okay. I would hate to see that happen to skating on that level.

Quote Originally Posted by louisa05 View Post
    I live in a college football crazy state. There are entire radio stations devoted to analyzing the team every single day year round. It does not create understanding of the sport. It creates fanatics who talk about young athletes in ways that no one should ever talk about any other human being and think it is okay. I would hate to see that happen to skating on that level.
    I think we already have that on message boards.

I watch the NFL channel and have always dreamed of running a figure skating channel... but it's too niche right now for it to be viable.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    How long has the Skate After Show existed? I'm scrolling through the CBC website and I found only the Nov 16 Skate After Show in France and the Nov 10 Skate "Aftershow" in Japan. The site is a little hard to navigate, and I can't find a total list of all of their podcasts.
    The CBC 2013 Skate America podcast is here:

If you scroll down to the bottom of the same page, you will see links to some of the 2012 CBC podcasts.

ETA, another listing with links to the 2012 CBC podcasts:

The first-ever such CBC podcast was a discussion of 2012 Skate America.

The latest installment of the CBC's "post game" analysis podcasts:

CBC Skate After Show: Grand Prix Russia
    CBC Sports' Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong take a look at the sixth event of the 2013 Grand Prix season...the Grand Prix Russia.
    Nov 23, 2013
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/fig...#id=2420242474 (23:49 in length)

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Sad we barely HAVE COVERAGE, BUT nbc SHOULD OFFER this at Olympics. There has to be some attempt to explain the scoring. THe third Olympics with CoP should have a few 30 minute hi quality segments explaining the scoring before singles sps and lps, focusing most on ladies. Pairs has no compelling stories, so some ice dance education would help with usa poised for gold medal.

If the networks refuse to invest in educating people who watch the OLY FS, it seems pointless to cover it anymore. People will not understand Chan's fall cushion. There has to be high quality education going into the fluff pieces. Gracie should be a great poster girl for jump education, while showing a bit of where she lives.

I totally feel spectators will come back if network makes scoring 101 fun, not tedious.
    Did you really mean "30"-minute segments?
    Or was that a typo for "three"-minute?

Thirty minutes is an eternity in television time. I enjoy watching the Olympic gymnasts every four years, and one three-minute segment per day about scoring might help me enjoy my viewing even more.
    But thirty minutes of Gymnastics 101 all in one chunk prob. would make my eyes glaze over. And I say that as someone who likes watching gymnastics.

Banned
    Lol, well, with a viewership of maybe 200 people total, I don't think advertisers are exactly going to pay NBC or ABC to broadcast a "post-game" show.

Custom Title
    Thank you golden411!

[QUOTE=golden411;796622]The latest installment of the CBC's "post game" analysis podcasts:

CBC Skate After Show: Grand Prix Russia
    CBC Sports' Kurt Browning and Pj Kwong take a look at the sixth event of the 2013 Grand Prix season...the Grand Prix Russia.
    Nov 23, 2013
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/fig...#id=2420242474 (23:49 in length)

deleted

Custom Title
    Well, hopefully we'll see Tara & Johnny step up and do some creative and fun things together around the Olympics. Tanith too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2