Have outfits simply gone over the top? | Golden Skate

Have outfits simply gone over the top?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yuzu looks girlish anyway-the Johnny designed blouse is a frilly mess-does CoP have costume deductions? Please Yu, can that blouse. And Adelina, you are not Elizabeth Berkely skating to "Burlesque." Yelena deserves a demerit too, awful costume. Serious question- R&J dress Ashley wore was slimming. The new dress is ok, but not an improvement. I liked the simpler Kwan dress she first debuted in her LP.

What costumes do you love or hate? I think only YuNa's is kleft to reveal. I wish Ashley had done a more 14th century look with her dresses-both are misses unfortunately. Black Swan and S/D were on the money- great well fitting eye catching costumes. What do you think-better Juliet look or worse?

BlackPack

Medalist
Wagner can have a more romantic and medieval look... I agree. It looked very common.

I hated Pechalat & Bourzat's costumes. I know they're doing the whimsical, Little Prince magical thing, but they're just ridiculous. In 40 years, they'll be showing their grandkids photos of themselves in those costumes. Not really flattering.

This is figure skating after all, so while some of the costumes are ???? this season, it's nowhere nearly as bad as some in the past. They've toned down a lot in recent years, but I imagine the male skaters still wouldn't walk into a pub with those costumes.

Speaking of Bourzat... what was his Ex costume with blood about? Was it a reference to some TV show like Dexter?

They mocked costumes in the silly Blades of Glory, "What's your costume about?" "It will make sense."

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I was thinking the same about Yuzuru (his SP shirt is lovely though). His LP dress looks like just that a dress or some odd shredded corset thing. I know he's trying for something dramatic but come on.

I've disliked some of Chan's outfits in the past but I must say while his SP and LP outfits are kind of drab, they really reflect his pure skating without need for dramatic embellishments. To each skater their own.

Gaszi though... Yeah way OTT. :laugh: but I actually dig the geeky look -- reminds me of Torvill and Dean's Cecilia program. :biggrin:

noskates

Record Breaker
Bwahahahhaa - those yellow pants have their own twitter account. But - Yes, the costumes for the most part are OTT. I think the Japanese have been the most flagrant in the past with some of the women's costumes (Miki Ando - blechhh) but Hanyu's costumes are just blechhh. Plus I swear my thigh is bigger than that boy's body and I'm not overweight. He's sooooo slight. I've never much liked Kostner's costumes but her LP isn't bad. I love Gracie's LP and I think Ashley's dress for TEB was beautiful. Akiko Suzuki always has a beautiful dress, very classy.

Hanyu's "dress or some odd shredded corset thing" just made me LOL. So true! So true!

lcd

Match Penalty
In Ice dance, I would actually argue the reverse. Back in the late 90s/early 00s, the whole wild hair and costumes with so many strands flinging distractingly all over the place to only accentuate further all the agitated shaking about and BS emoting was really quite annoying in my book. I really appreciate the more recent trend, probably necessitated somewhat by the heightened ATHLETIC requirements present in the sport for cleaner costumes, which better highlight true form and lines. To me, simplicity is often a blessing, and I would prefer it across the disciplines.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I've disliked some of Chan's outfits in the past but I must say while his SP and LP outfits are kind of drab, they really reflect his pure skating without need for dramatic embellishments. To each skater their own.

There is definitely embellishment: the V-cut on his shirts keep getting lower and lower each year. I don't understand the flowery black prints on his LP shirt either. It's like the upper half of his body is trying to wearing a sexy-yet-mourning kimono. But, whatever.

Oreo

On the Ice
Elena Radionova is a cute girl. I don't understand why her people feel obliged to costume her like a street walker.

Icey

Record Breaker
Yes, they are a tacky element of the sport that needs to be remedied. Some of the young teens look like escapees from those kiddy beauty contest. LET THEM BE GIRLS until they are women.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Yes, they are a tacky element of the sport that needs to be remedied. Some of the young teens look like escapees from those kiddy beauty contest. LET THEM BE GIRLS until they are women.
:clap:
I was also really disappointed by Caro's costumes, but I still have hope for her new FS dress, she can choose something excpetional for it, she has always been the best-dressed skater in the world during the past couple of seasons!

leafygreens

Final Flight
Who was the skater that said everyone should skate in the same black unitard? I agree with this. It would at least make the sport less of a laughing stock because of all the sequins. I don't think the outfits are more over the top now - they always have been.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Adelina's costume for her LP this year is inappropriate. I can literally see her butt crack, and believe me, I am not trying to. It is literally not avoidable.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Regarding Adelina's LP dress, yes, it is totally a disaster. She looked like wearing a see-through with no underwear. Very inappropriate for any age, let alone a young girl. In addition, it isn't flattering.

Hanyu needs to dump that LP dress. Patrick Chan's LP shirt is unflattering and the embellishment does not embellish. I like his 2012 LP and shirt better. Han Yan's both costumes need overhaul. The SP's does not fit the character he tried to portrait, some kind of street wears may be better . The LP one is not Waltzy if that's a word. He should have a classic shirt like the ones in old movies that can showoff his speed or a stylish tuxedo.

I like P/B's costume. Love the Russian dancers' black swan costumes and their program, by far the second best after D/W's FD to me. Like V/T's SP custume and P/T's LP
's. P/T's SP costume are pretty but just a bit too heavy, and I don't like P's messy hair do.

OK, I don't like Caro's costumes, especially the LP. The SP see-through is not bad, but just so so.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I would actually like Patrick's LP shirt more if he were wearing an undershirt under it. Both outfits of his are fairly understated considered the costumey, glittery neon messes we're seeing everywhere. I'm wondering if it's deliberate, where he's essentially saying look at my skating and not what I'm wearing.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Elena Radionova is a cute girl. I don't understand why her people feel obliged to costume her like a street walker.

I was thinking more "drunk AND stoned Mardi Gras lemon" myself...

And I want to rip that blue glove off Anna P and burn it.