Have outfits simply gone over the top? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Have outfits simply gone over the top?

It's funny; this thread reminded me of a comment about one of Tara Lipinski's outfits, which I vaguely recall as a long-sleeved lacy dress. While it was entirely appropriate for her age at the time, it was on the fussy side, and one writer described it something like this: "I am going to my first communion, and I intend to yodel."

So you can't please everyone, no matter what you do.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
It's funny; this thread reminded me of a comment about one of Tara Lipinski's outfits, which I vaguely recall as a long-sleeved lacy dress. While it was entirely appropriate for her age at the time, it was on the fussy side, and one writer described it something like this: "I am going to my first communion, and I intend to yodel."

Olympia, can you imagine what kinds of comments these costumes would get on Project Runway? There seems to be some law that at least 85% of all Russian skating costumes must exhibit a certain level of tackiness. And they want to get rid of gay men! Coincidence? I think not...

By the way, you may not know but Project Runway veteran Nick Verreos has been critiquing the costumes of all the Grand Prix skaters on his blog here: http://nickverrreos.blogspot.com/

Oreo

On the Ice
There seems to be some law that at least 85% of all Russian skating costumes must exhibit a certain level of tackiness.

And what's with every Russian girl wearing gloves? Did Putin put out some sort of national edict, or what?

Whitneyskates

On the Ice
The young Russian girls look like someone sewed some random strips of fabric to a skirt and called it a day, not a good look. B/S look like your stereotypical Russian ice dancers from the 90's, with the shredded fabric and OTT emoting. I don't know, maybe it's the Olympic year? Even Meryl and Charlie, who are usually more subdued in costuming, have gone OTT.

On the other end of the spectrum, R/T's costumes are bland as bland can me, and have absolutely nothing to do with Phantom of The Opera. At least W/P and D/W dressed the part when they skated to Phantom.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
How would you guys compare Adelina FS costume with Elizaveta's Oskana Domina hand me down outfit at 2012 GPF?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Bwahahahhaa - those yellow pants have their own twitter account. But - Yes, the costumes for the most part are OTT. I think the Japanese have been the most flagrant in the past with some of the women's costumes (Miki Ando - blechhh) but Hanyu's costumes are just blechhh. Plus I swear my thigh is bigger than that boy's body and I'm not overweight. He's sooooo slight. I've never much liked Kostner's costumes but her LP isn't bad. I love Gracie's LP and I think Ashley's dress for TEB was beautiful. Akiko Suzuki always has a beautiful dress, very classy.

Hanyu's "dress or some odd shredded corset thing" just made me LOL. So true! So true!

I am not sure if it is a Japanese thing but Dai and Hanyu and company look like they fought with Jackson Pollock and Edward Scissorhead with a few rabid cats thrown in for good measure and lost! Dramatic I suppose? Vera Wang - not.People control your urge to roll around in sequins and sharp knives. It is not a good look. And control your urge to wear yellow pants for some reason I think you are wearing depends under those things.

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Forgot to say that I love Julia L's red coat costume and the program. I bet this would be the Russian girl on the podium or even steal the show in Sochi.

skateluvr

Record Breaker

Hysterical...only MK never missed.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The costumes that the Russian teens are wearing don't seem any different than what Irina Slutskaya was wearing from about 2001-2005ish... are they the most fashionable? no. should they be crucified for it? absolutely not. we just had another thread about this exact same topic not even a week ago. the harping on this just seems odd. they aren't hurting anyone or any thing by having lame looking costumes and it's really no more or less tacky than some of the awful things of previous eras...

perhaps we should go back to the men just wearing suits and the ladies wearing dresses down to their ankles?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Oh puhleeze, the girls are wearing negligees and thongs as teens. Irina never dressed like a ho at that or any age. pics please.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
unless we're talking about exhibitions - which I have not seen this season - I can't think of a single competitive costume this year that I would consider what you describe. I'm pretty much a prude and I am not getting the same emotional reaction as apparently I need to be.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Several people find Adelina inappropriate-read the responses here and there. And I have never seen a male skater look less male than hanyu's blouse. Unattractive- hurts the sport. Johnny Weir is not everyone's fave designer. But people absolutely get desensitized to bad taste/inappropriate costumes.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Oh puhleeze, the girls are wearing negligees and thongs as teens. Irina never dressed like a ho at that or any age. pics please.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-g.../860/860/slutskaya1704masterfs01-6x10-200.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...TbkxSVUpd7Os0FC4PAom4GUFP8Z1aBv5JmwbZ7CdSNEfQ

I just don't see this as "ho-ish", it may be an awful dress (on Irina or any lady skater) but I think using an extreme language to prove a point is just extreme to be extreme.

As for tacky mens costumes, they've existed far longer than Hanyu or for that matter Johnny Weir. Brian Orser's had some doozies... then there were Scott Hamilton's speedskating frog suits (or the beaded blue thing he hated)... Kurt Browning's firebird or his 92 Olympic short program... or his Tequila SP from 88... and just about anything Toller Cranston wore...

So unless they can also be blamed for the "hurting" of figure skating, I'm just not convinced this era of skating costumes is the worst ever.

Amei

Record Breaker
And what's with every Russian girl wearing gloves? Did Putin put out some sort of national edict, or what?

The first one I noticed that wore/wears gloves all the time is Lipnitskaia, my theory was/is that a lot of her spins and spiral sequences involve her grabbing her blades and perhaps her coach put her in gloves to prevent her from cutting up her hands in practice. And what probably happened is that 1 did it and was very successful and the theory is 'must have gloves to win'.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Fumie Suguri wore gloves... and Megan Duhamel wears them in her LP this season... I hate the gloves on just about any of them... elbow gloves don't bother me as much as just the regular wrist ones...

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker

I kinda like that costume of Ando's, actually.

this is a semi good compilation of bad costumes (some aren't that bad IMO) but ugh... pics of Kurt's SP in 92... hate that costume... hate it hate it hate it... why, Kurt, why?!

Kwan wore sparkly undies and bra a few times - http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...chmSrq5Gka53Ta0flw-G3Txw&ust=1384921419686852 - she looks good in it, but if we're going to go for anything showing skin (in her case REAL skin) as being "bad for skating"...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Irina was a lot older than 14-15 in those pictures. Elena's costume in particular is inappropriate for someone so young. And Adelina's long program dress borders on obscene, illusion or not.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-g.../860/860/slutskaya1704masterfs01-6x10-200.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...TbkxSVUpd7Os0FC4PAom4GUFP8Z1aBv5JmwbZ7CdSNEfQ

I just don't see this as "ho-ish", it may be an awful dress (on Irina or any lady skater) but I think using an extreme language to prove a point is just extreme to be extreme.

As for tacky mens costumes, they've existed far longer than Hanyu or for that matter Johnny Weir. Brian Orser's had some doozies... then there were Scott Hamilton's speedskating frog suits (or the beaded blue thing he hated)... Kurt Browning's firebird or his 92 Olympic short program... or his Tequila SP from 88... and just about anything Toller Cranston wore...

So unless they can also be blamed for the "hurting" of figure skating, I'm just not convinced this era of skating costumes is the worst ever.