Have outfits simply gone over the top? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Have outfits simply gone over the top?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
During the Bompard competition, Johnny weir was given credit for his lp costume.

Every person seems to want to show they are multi talented. All those actors who become spokeserson, dancer, singer, cook etc. But we can't all be perfect Reanissance people You can't be gifted at everything- so people there are costume designers, their are skaters, there are coaches, psychologists, choreographers etc. EAch has a role in creating a champion. We can't be everything. Johnny shoulds tick to being well Johnny lol

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan's costumes were apporpriate but not spectacular. And she was sort of the Susan Lucci of skating - always pickingusually a slip/sheath style dress - it worked but she didnt' reallys tretch her fashion sense on the ice.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
I dunno, I think costumes were already over the top years ago--remember the puffy-sleeved dresses that looked like someone threw up sequins and beads all over them?

Yeah, really. Honestly, a lot of complaints I hear about skating "nowadays" cause me to question how long people's memories are, and this is no exception. There have been overdone, revealing, tacky, and/or just plain unattractive figure skating costumes for decades.

From 1988: Katarina Witt's SP costume with a barely-there "skirt" consisting entirely of feathers

From 2001: Emanuel Sandhu's "Heidi on Acid" thing

From 1994: Oksana Baiul's pink "electrified poodle" look.

From 1998: Kulik's bright yellow giraffe print thing

This isn't new, guys.

Icey

Record Breaker
Every person seems to want to show they are multi talented. All those actors who become spokeserson, dancer, singer, cook etc. But we can't all be perfect Reanissance people You can't be gifted at everything- so people there are costume designers, their are skaters, there are coaches, psychologists, choreographers etc. EAch has a role in creating a champion. We can't be everything. Johnny shoulds tick to being well Johnny lol

I was responding to the poster who said Hanyu's mother designed his costume.

Coriana

On the Ice
I was responding to the poster who said Hanyu's mother designed his costume.

Indeed, I remember the fuss over Kulik's shirt. I also remember his response- "The little Russian mother made this shirt and I am going to wear it." Chekov's dialogue wasn't over the top after all.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I dunno, I think costumes were already over the top years ago--remember the puffy-sleeved dresses that looked like someone threw up sequins and beads all over them?

"Going back" to simple would be like going back forty years--opposite of the direction that the sport should be going, IMO.

With that said, a bit of class in the costuming choices never hurt anybody.

exactly.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfzb3CTMawY Evgeni Plushenko - all his costumes 1996-2010 (montage)

When he was young, he had some awful costumes, but after he developed his own style, I like most of them. And he very often wears black.

I liked Butyrskaya's and Usova's costumes in the past. About the Russian lady's dresses in genaral: the Russian taste is very different from the western's taste in the civil life, too. Most Russian women are very prominent, always involve high heels and always wear makeup. I no wonder because they wear flamboyant costumes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ6Ljge0-14 Sexy high-heeled girls crowd Russia's streets

In this season I really like Mao's, Lipinitskaya's, Akiko's costumes. And I hate Aaron's costumes, don't fit to his body type. I don't like the Japanese men's dresses, and I never liked Joubert's costumes.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Yuzu looks girlish anyway-the Johnny designed blouse is a frilly mess-does CoP have costume deductions?

What a horrible thing to say, skateluvr. I am not especially a fan of this costume either, but criticizing Hanyu for failing to adhere to traditional gender norms is low. This attitude is at the foundation of why figure skating is unpopular in many parts of the world. It also shares a root with Russia's laws against so-called gay propaganda.

I hope I'm not the first respondent in this thread to say this, and I hate repeating points already made. But, to be honest, I was so troubled by it that I felt the need to respond before I could move on to readings others' posts.

ETA: I am really glad to have seen the posts of phaeljones (#42) and WeakAnkles (#43).

Having read through the comments now, can I ask this: Moderators of GoldenSkate, can there please be a permanent ban on these types of threads? They seem to invite little other than homophobia ("those men aren't dressing like real men") and ****-shaming ("those girls are not dressing like good girls").

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've mentioned it before, but I think overly flashy costumes detract from the elegance of the sport.

Peggy Fleming is no less an Olympic icon because she won in a simple dress her mother made.

Likewise, I prefer non-fussy attire for men.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Pepe u r asking mods to censor even more. It has been said many a time here Hanyu is very soft looking. He is feminine in face and build. We can have a separate discussion on that. People have said Agnes seemed masculine. No one jumped up. But to attack me or imply I agree with or have influenced Russia's anti gay laws is ridiculous and harmful to me.

It was at first a light thread. naturally, a gay male poster is going to find Hanyu tame, comp. to Fire Island looks, Key West, so on so on. That's in your LGBT culture, clubs, parades etc and what has become acceptable is miles away fro comp. figure skating, or maybe should be. Iy is prickly to discuss but I want to be clear that USA FS iss on life support. IJS needs to make changes. The costumes are fun to laugh at but I am disturbed at the negligees on young girls. The majority were in consensus re this trend for girls getting worse. I like Hanyu-But I think men there are being allowed to go too far.

But answer this, is it an Olympic sport with requirements or performance art. This has nothing to do with being gay. But most will now avoid thread after Toni "didn't get it." Mod wet blanket effect, lol. Just kidding Toni. I'd rather go back to simple dresse sthan have to see someone's butt crack as Tolusai put it,. Obscene and shame on the ISU. I think they have failed their athletes as people. I'm done with the attack .

Perhaps someone will start a serious discussion about why costumes may be detracting at this point.

I know it is not new. Look at Doro in 1976. Then look at costumes in 80's. The decline, changes, abberrations began in that decade.

The cultural icons were Madonna and Michael Jackson. Need I say more? Everyone skated to their music/emulated their looks.

BUT, should FS have allowed such craziness? I think Singles, pairs need reigning in. Ice dance is about acting, portraying a character, or a theme of the classical ballroom. They need more leeway to express. I hope this clarifies-I won't address anyone who thinks I'm like Putin because I thinh THE SPORT needs limits. It is not a burlesque nor a drag type show.

Many felt Johnny pushed way to far while skating. I agree. Apparently IMG, Smuckers Hamilton all agreed. Sport? the direction is reform or retro. Something else? Not sport, then I suppose anything goes.

Why is the sport dead? Identity issue/ Sport? Art? Both? Performance art/glamour pageant?

North Americans are definitely in a diff place re costumes than Russia/Europe. Partly cultural for me, but -what is appropriate comp. skating attire? I think we all know when we see it. So many fashionista shows on tv-very little werable cloythes. Shock value and sexy attire do get people's attention. Smutty culture-TV saturated very sadly.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
Pepe u r asking mods to censor even more. It has been said many a time here Hanyu is very soft looking. He is feminine in face and build. We can have a separate discussion on that. People have said Agnes seemed masculine. No one jumped up. But to attack me or imply I agree with or have influenced Russia's anti gay laws is ridiculous and harmful to me.

It was at first a light thread. naturally, a gay male poster is going to find Hanyu tame, comp. to Fire Island looks, Key West, so on so on. That's in your LGBT culture, clubs, parades etc and what has become acceptable is miles away fro comp. figure skating, or maybe should be. Iy is prickly to discuss but I want to be clear that USA FS iss on life support. IJS needs to make changes. The costumes are fun to laugh at but I am disturbed at the negligees on young girls. The majority were in consensus re this trend for girls getting worse. I like Hanyu-But I think men there are being allowed to go too far.

But answer this, is it an Olympic sport with requirements or performance art. This has nothing to do with being gay. But most will now avoid thread after Toni "didn't get it." Mod wet blanket effect, lol. Just kidding Toni. I'd rather go back to simple dresse sthan have to see someone's butt crack as Tolusai put it,. Obscene and shame on the ISU. I think they have failed their athletes as people. I'm done with the attack poryion

Perhaps someone will start a serious discussion about why costumes may be detracting at this point.

I know it is not new. Look at Doro in 1976. Then look at costumes in 80's. The decline, changes, abberrations began in that decade.

The cultural icons were Madonna and Michael Jackson. Need I say more? Everyone skated to their music/emulated their looks.

BUT, should FS have allowed such craziness? I think Singles, pairs need reigning in. Ice dance is about acting, portraying a character, or a theme of the classical ballroom. They need more leeway to express. I hope this clarifies-I won't address anyone who thinks I'm like Putin because I thinh THE SPORT needs limits. It is not a burlesque nor a drag type show.

May felt Johnny pushed way to far while skating. I agree. Apparently IMG, Smuckerss Hamilton all agreed. Sport? the direction is reform or retro. Something else? Not sport, then I suppose anything goes.

Why is the sport dead? Identity issue/ Sport? Art? Both? Performance art/glamour pageant?

North Americans are definitely in a diff place re costumes than Russia/Europe. Partly cultural for me, buso -what is appropriate comp. skating attire? I think we all know when we see it. So many fashionista shows on tv-very little werable cloythes. Shock value and sexy attire do get people's attention. Smutty culture-TV saturated very sadly,

Yes, it might be because of Madonna and Michael Jackson.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Well, Madonna sent a message anything goes, wear less, shock, get attention-esp when u have no real talent. Poor Michael said he wanted to look like Diana Ross, his idol-the facial surgeries were extensive, changing his look from normal, handsome masculine to rather gender anonymous. He was ridiculed greatly. There followed 30 years of copycats and few originals. These are artists tho, and the artistic side of FS embraces the now in gala skates. I think the pendulum will swing back to very simple in at least one of the comp. programs. I said before a program of required elements with no costume, simple unitard would be great. No hiding behind choreo for weakness cover, nor costumes that hide line. I even suggested no music. It could replace figures and SP.

The long program would be as it has been, will be the choreo, music costume etc. If ISU doesn't get a strategy soon, there will be no sport in usa. Ithink success is as a sport, and projecting it as tough sport. The girls are out there for now, maybe due to pageant aspect at first

RobinA

On the Ice
Jill Trenary also used illusion fabric to make it look like she was showing skin in a competitive costume - http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41BrcNI5bVL.jpg - but maybe I'm confused and she is skating this season? :rolleye:

not sure what year Maria B wore this, but it certainly wasn't in the last 10 years... http://alaskanmagic.smugmug.com/Other/Blog-It/i-SGLMrH7/0/X2/tumblr_m52dxdxlyN1r5ashao1_500-X2.jpg

Jill's costumes were very much of their times. They look dated today, but at the time, that's what they wore.

I always hated Maria B's custumes, almost without exception. They had no flow and did not enhance her look when she was moving. I can forgive almost any costume if it enhances the look of the performed program. That said, there is no good use for a unitard. I hate them without exception.

No, I do not think costumes are out of hand. Skating dresses have alway been a mixed bag ranging from truly nausea-producing to sublime.

Alex D

Record Breaker
I think that the way how a costume appears will always be in the eye of the beholder.

There are quite some cultural differences between Europe and North America, but also in Europe living in France is totally different to living in the Ukraine as example. Some countries are more prude than others, its nothing that we or the ISU can change and I think it would be wrong to change it, as it reflect´s the individual thing every culture has.
I always love the costumes of the "ex UDSSR" states, just like I love those of the Spanish or the more calm designs of the Finnish. We need those differences, if everyone would dress in shirt and pants, it would become boring and you would have a hard time finding freedom in how to design your program.

For instance, if you want to be a flame like Julia this year, then it just wouldn't fit if she would wear a smoking or an evening dress just because it fits into the dress code. We have dress codes at some sports, look at Wimbledon for instance where one of the players this year was actually asked to change her top, as it wasn't white enough.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it as while not white, it wasn't colored either ;)

To me there is no "wrong" in the costumes design per se, yes some I like more some I like less - but the basic design isn't bad in a matter of "censorship needed". You can definitely argue about some cuts that were made and I absolutely understand the fear some of you have regarding the "sick minded in this world", but that they turn figure skaters into " the object of perverts" is really a bit too much.

Those boys, girls, men & women deliver a performance and they should wear what they feel enhances their performance. ;)

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
As a skater myself, I find that costumes should enhance a performance. They should complement the skater, the music, the choreography. But, of course, that is all in the eye of the beholder. Most of the posters here can't skate, let alone have ever competed in figure skating, and that's fine. It's just that I urge many of you on behalf of the skaters to refrain from insulting criticism. The watchful eye of the judges can be glaring enough.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Jill's costumes were very much of their times. They look dated today, but at the time, that's what they wore.

I know, it was tongue in cheek. To me this thread had one point and one point only and that was to attack several specific skaters. The argument that skating costumes have just now been horrible and are ruining the sport came a few pages later almost as an after thought. As you said, skating costumes have always had their fair share of tasteless and amazing costumes.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It was about costumes in general, some specific to this season. You are wrong Toni, and I resent your unfair, incorrect summary. When a mod comes in and says I don't agree, it kills opinions anyway, since one is never sure if u represent yourself or the board. But ur ASSUMPTION is wrong. Sorry.:rolleye:

PS< I was half asleep typing last night, but wanted to add that I like the skating of Sotnikova and like hanyu's very much. It truly is the costumes and more dislike then like if you total up the comments. But when a mod weighs in repeatedly and then misrepresents the poster, people stop commenting as they disagree with you, but don't want to risk an infraction. That may be an assumption too, but just because you disagree that some costume look obscene on kids or wildly effeminate/glitzy for male fs doesn't mean you are correct. There are many variables. I have heard many comments from people, regardless of orientation about FS not being a real sport. The costumes the skaters wore until the eighties made it clear it was sport first, not pageant. And now people feel they must fix teeth, be a blond, look sexy at an early age. Is this done in any other sport? In the 80's is when costumes went over the top. But No one dared wear what Adelina is wearing. I had to explain all this as you are attacking ME. Not discussing my opinion. Thanks.

There is some disagreement as to is it worse, but if you look at Peggy and Dororthy and all the skaters into late 70's, it was clear they were wearing an outfit made for skating. I personally think it isn't just IJS. Some people regard Johnny as entertaining. But there is a reason he never got the marks he may have earned, and a reason why SOI felt he was not what the SOI customer wanted to see, esp as he went "Gaga." Now he is a commentator. The sport never figured where he fit I or did not. He was more about himself -trying to shock people-than the skating as he went on.

Did he do anything for the sport? No, because he acted like it was performance art after a certain point. We enjoy talking about costumes, but there is a place for a black unitard. Skating was judged in past, now it is a 'total package' as they say.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think blue dog's point was absolutely valid and his own opinion, not GS as a whole.