Have outfits simply gone over the top? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Have outfits simply gone over the top?

tulosai

Record Breaker
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-g.../860/860/slutskaya1704masterfs01-6x10-200.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...TbkxSVUpd7Os0FC4PAom4GUFP8Z1aBv5JmwbZ7CdSNEfQ

I just don't see this as "ho-ish", it may be an awful dress (on Irina or any lady skater) but I think using an extreme language to prove a point is just extreme to be extreme.

As for tacky mens costumes, they've existed far longer than Hanyu or for that matter Johnny Weir. Brian Orser's had some doozies... then there were Scott Hamilton's speedskating frog suits (or the beaded blue thing he hated)... Kurt Browning's firebird or his 92 Olympic short program... or his Tequila SP from 88... and just about anything Toller Cranston wore...

So unless they can also be blamed for the "hurting" of figure skating, I'm just not convinced this era of skating costumes is the worst ever.

Yeah, I want to be clear that I specifically LIKE illusion fabric and have no issue with that on Adelina or any other costume. What I specifically dislike about her costume is that you can see her butt. Like, I really thought a long time about if it is me and I am just the weird one for noticing, but I have been watching skating for well over 20 years, most of that time 'seriously' and have literally NEVER noticed this before. Just watch the video of her. YOu honestly can see her butt crack and it is really, painfully noticeable, at least to me. and I'm no prude- I'm a fan of illusion fabric. I was a fan of Tukt's bright green dress 2 seasons ago that people were up in arms about. etc.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Several people find Adelina inappropriate-read the responses here and there. And I have never seen a male skater look less male than hanyu's blouse. Unattractive- hurts the sport. Johnny Weir is not everyone's fave designer. But people absolutely get desensitized to bad taste/inappropriate costumes.

Hanyu has earned the right to wear the costume designed by the designer he chooses. It is his sport as much (even more) than it is anyone else's.

The statement that the sport is being hurt because of his costume is not true, ugly and over the top.

Criticism is fine, but these are only costumes. If anyone is bothered that much by his costume that they cannot appreciate his skating or the sport, what it really means is they have an inability to differentiate between substance and appearance. No offence, but that would be pathetic.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Hanyu has earned the right to wear the costume designed by the designer he chooses. It is his sport as much (even more) than it is anyone else's.

The statement that the sport is being hurt because of his costume is not true, ugly and over the top.

Criticism is fine, but these are only costumes. If anyone is bothered that much by his costume that they cannot appreciate his skating or the sport, what it really means is they have an inability to differentiate between substance and appearance. No offence, but that would be pathetic.

^This. Frankly any comment about gender bending clothing is suspect--and as to why I'm sure y'all are smart enough to figure out on your own. And yes, as a gay man I find it extremely offensive.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I kinda like that costume of Ando's, actually.

this is a semi good compilation of bad costumes (some aren't that bad IMO) but ugh... pics of Kurt's SP in 92... hate that costume... hate it hate it hate it... why, Kurt, why?!

Kwan wore sparkly undies and bra a few times - http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...chmSrq5Gka53Ta0flw-G3Txw&ust=1384921419686852 - she looks good in it, but if we're going to go for anything showing skin (in her case REAL skin) as being "bad for skating"...

That was at Champions on Ice, not a competition. She never competed in an outfit like that or like the ones the Russian baby ballerinas are wearing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
That was at Champions on Ice, not a competition. She never competed in an outfit like that or like the ones the Russian baby ballerinas are wearing.

So it's not hurting skating if it's an exhibition, just at competition? I can't keep all these fan rules straight.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yeah, I want to be clear that I specifically LIKE illusion fabric and have no issue with that on Adelina or any other costume. What I specifically dislike about her costume is that you can see her butt. Like, I really thought a long time about if it is me and I am just the weird one for noticing, but I have been watching skating for well over 20 years, most of that time 'seriously' and have literally NEVER noticed this before. Just watch the video of her. YOu honestly can see her butt crack and it is really, painfully noticeable, at least to me. and I'm no prude- I'm a fan of illusion fabric. I was a fan of Tukt's bright green dress 2 seasons ago that people were up in arms about. etc.

I haven't noticed, I'll try to go and watch their butt in the youtube vids...

but any skating dress I can remember at least at somepoint discussing the "skater wedgie" and buttcrack... - http://www.photosport.com/secure/figureskating/mast0268.jpg
http://www.catslair.com/skating/2000/nationals/Exhibition/2000nEX0326.JPG
http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/de...ba34c8da6c25fde7183fae44f5b.jpg?itok=3eF2r7Ro

My point is not that it's appropriate or not. I personally have not felt that way but then I really don't follow skating as I used to so I can't tell the difference between all of the newer skaters. I'm just not of the belief that it's gotten "worse" this year or quad from any other era/quad.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So it's not hurting skating if it's an exhibition, just at competition? I can't keep all these fan rules straight.[/QUOT

No one is hurting skating. Show skating is always more costume-y, if not more tacky. And Michelle was older. Elena R in that red get-up looks like one of those child beauty pageant contestants.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
No one is hurting skating. Show skating is always more costume-y, if not more tacky. And Michelle was older. Elena R in that red get-up looks like one of those child beauty pageant contestants.

that's not what others are saying, which was what I was responding to.

Oreo

On the Ice
Irina Slutskaya's costumes were usually pretty cheesy, but she didn't look like a street walker when she was 14. She never even wore makeup for years. Elena Radionova, on the other hand, is child beauty queen+. That red FS costume would make Jodie Foster's character in Taxi Driver blush. Whoever is making her costume decisions for her should know that this pretty young 14 year old will attract every perv on earth in this getup.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have quite a bit of experience in the "perv" department, unfortunately. Chances are they are already tuning in to see the immature skaters no matter what they're wearing.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
maybe it's because he doesn't rank in even the top 25 of crappy men's costumes?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
And what's with every Russian girl wearing gloves? Did Putin put out some sort of national edict, or what?

this was used mostly by Julia who always wear gloves in her costumes but she never had any tacky costumes
seems the other russian skaters are following her gloves trend

yude

Record Breaker

:agree:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
FASHION POLICE BUT DONT MENTION hANYU'S AWFUL TASTE?

Because there is a difference between questioning someone's taste and questioning their masculinity. Questioning someone's taste doesn't involve invoking tired and offensive stereotypes (at least, thank heavens, the vast majority of the time).

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I agree. Just lay off Yuzu. I don't really like the outfit either but after seeing it a few times I'm getting used to it. What bothers me is the ruffle that flaps arounnd because it's distracting. If he wants to wear lace so what? It's not like it's obscene or an eyesore. The detaling is actually very beautiful. There's no need to call him out as girly. Patrick Chan was in lace and ruffles last year too. Now Adelina's dress, that's just horrible. And I though last year's see-through bodice was bad. Now it's the whole dress. If I remember correctly there's a rule about how much nude illusion can be used, like it can't be more than 50% of the front bodice or something. Maybe they should extend that to illusion fabric in general regardless of color.

Matilda

Medalist
Several people find Adelina inappropriate-read the responses here and there. And I have never seen a male skater look less male than hanyu's blouse. Unattractive- hurts the sport. Johnny Weir is not everyone's fave designer. But people absolutely get desensitized to bad taste/inappropriate costumes.

I don't know exactly what the idea behind the costume is, but Johnny said that Yuzuru had a very clear idea of what he wanted in the costume. For many skaters the costume is an integral part of the vision they have of the program as a whole. They are the ones competing and performing, and if the costuming helps them envision the character or idea they seek to portray, I'm more than fine with it.

Having said that, fans have the right not to like a costume--but I really wish we could get past tired old gender stereotypes already!

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Is anyone else bothered by these red hearts and stains on the chests and backs? I don't understand their purpose. And truth be told, if they're large and stainlike, they tend to look like blood to me and spook me out a bit. Last minor spookout was Han Yan's TEB costume with a red glittery stain; it took me a couple of seconds as he appeared on the ice to understand what I'm looking at, and start wondering what it meant in relation to Strauss' waltz. :unsure:

While I get the objection that it is the performance we should be watching and not the costume, for me the costume is a part of the experience. When a singer on TV is wearing a hideous outfit or poses in their underwear or whatever, I can close my eyes or look somewhere else, and enjoy them still. I can't very well do that with a figure skater's performance. So yes, for me a costume which I find unpleasant to watch, detracts from the performance. By which I do not mean just any costume I don't like - I found for example Kostner's Sheherezade costume unflattering, but not distracting; while I didn't like the plethora of adornments on Hanyu's LP costume (all those frills and fake gems), they weren't all that visible unless the shot was a closeup, and didn't bother me either. Glaring, neon colours (Pogorilaya's SP, Radionova's yellow dress) and shredded or see-through costumes (Sotnikova's LP) are what bothers me more.

RobinA

On the Ice
Elena Radionova is a cute girl. I don't understand why her people feel obliged to costume her like a street walker.

I think they are trying (without success) to make her look older. I kinda wonder if she is her stated age, but that's just me. Anything is hard to tell about what she really looks like, since she's covered with that tarted up nonsense. It does seem that underneath it all she's very cute.