Have outfits simply gone over the top? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Have outfits simply gone over the top?

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Hanyu's LP shirt with the sequins is not appealing to me at all. Any man's shirt that shows cleavage (Amodio's SP shirt for example) looks very cheesey. Patrick wears them also. It ain't sexy!!!

bebevia

On the Ice
Hanyu may not ever be able to get a perfect costume; his mother's the designer, who is very proud of her works, and he's happy she's happy.

merleice

Rinkside

daphna

On the Ice
I hope Ashley can get 2 knockout costumes for the olympics, Particularly for the LP - it's just too generic at the moment.
Gracie needs 2 better costumes asap! they are horendous.
Sotnikova.. don't even get me started on that babydoll she's using for the free.
Liza's dark low part costumes in the past 2 seasons have been awful. she may not be the tiny pixie anymore, but she's not overweight and has nothing to hide.
loved Osmon's SP costume at skate Canada - I hope she keeps it!
Lipniskaia's costumes are refreshingly age suitable and not tacky, compared to her teammates
Loved Mao's first LP costume this season, but it was gone in NHK

loopy

Final Flight
There is a lot of dislike for Elena's costume, but I think with her physique it doesn't bother me (surprisingly because I tend to be prudish)- she looks more like an artistic gymnast in her costumes. It doesn't appear like she is trying to be sexy. She doesn't make sexy or smoldering expressions or movements, she just looks light and free and happy.

Sara

On the Ice
Sotnikova's LP nightgown looks horrible... :eek:

I hope Ashley can get 2 knockout costumes for the olympics, Particularly for the LP - it's just too generic at the moment.
Gracie needs 2 better costumes asap! they are horendous.
Sotnikova.. don't even get me started on that babydoll she's using for the free.
Liza's dark low part costumes in the past 2 seasons have been awful. she may not be the tiny pixie anymore, but she's not overweight and has nothing to hide.
loved Osmon's SP costume at skate Canada - I hope she keeps it!
Lipniskaia's costumes are refreshingly age suitable and not tacky, compared to her teammates
Loved Mao's first LP costume this season, but it was gone in NHK

MasterB

Final Flight
MEN - I HATE, HATE, HATE Yuzu's outfit. I also hate many of Joubert's outfits as well. I also dislike most anything the Russians wear.

LADIES - Adelina should not be wearing her Victorias Secret nighty. Not sold on Wagner's new costume, I am so so on Mao's dresses. The little Russian Ladies are not wearing flattering outfits eithe,r with the exception of Julia.

PAIRS- I hate anything that has to do with Les Miserables or POTO.

sweetskates1

Medalist
Mao is stunning in all of her costumes - lovely! Agree on all other counts. I love D/W but POTP kills everything including the look on the ice - burn Carmen, POTP.

MEN - I HATE, HATE, HATE Yuzu's outfit. I also hate many of Joubert's outfits as well. I also dislike most anything the Russians wear.

LADIES - Adelina should not be wearing her Victorias Secret nighty. Not sold on Wagner's new costume, I am so so on Mao's dresses. The little Russian Ladies are not wearing flattering outfits eithe,r with the exception of Julia.

PAIRS- I hate anything that has to do with Les Miserables or POTO.

Amei

Record Breaker
Yes it's simply too sheer. I don't see that point of that at all. The Russian girls as a whole are packaged too much like Vegas showgirls for my taste. Simple and classic always is best.

Julia and Elizaveta T. this season are the only Russian ladies that don't wear the 'loud' costumes.

Oreo

On the Ice
Adelina's dress looks even worse in this pic: http://instagram.com/p/g3b1_LtVkh/

Wow, that IS bad now that you can see the detail. Looks like she got caught up in some webbing on the way to the rink. Pity, she's one of my favorites amongst the Russians. I especially loved her exhibition number. Glad to see Ms. Pouty Face standing next to her has a very nice smile.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Try to ask one question- what will newbies to Oly's be thinking when they see Adelina? Will young guys be attracted to the sport when they see hanyu? Maybe some, but maybe others quite put off. It is a sport first, and I am all for going back to simpler age appropriate costumes. Peggy and Doro had lovely lines, and the costumes never detracted. Only MK seemed to get that competition costumes should be modest and flattering. Over 3 decades, so many of costumes, starting with ID went down wrong road I think. I realize my perspective is older, less tainted by the era that Madonna and Brittany brought to pop music.

But we try to tell people it is a fascinating, very difficult sport. Many of the costumes (agree Russia has been biggest offender for years) detract from sport. Artistry matters, but there is nothing nice, appropriate or "sporty" about the negligees. I think Maria B was the first to wear very sheer fabric and thong like undies. Now even sweet little Alissa has done the negligee sex appeal. Do you really think these girls do not know they are trying to turn on the judges?

I do think many outfits hurt the sport, either through being just horrific taste, -Russian shreds never die, or obscene. Adelina looks like she is copying the top part of a Cher outfit to the Oscars. It is bad enough that few are classy, tasteful, age appropriate, but obscene has been mentioned and I think that is fair. Yelena is a hot mess of an under aged vegas showgirl.

I wish they'd crack down on costumes. Most would look better in black unitard, regardless of their gender or gender identity. It would be nice to se the pendulum swing the other way. Most costumes don't do much for the music anyway and leave us all wondering what they mean.

I certainly was one to say if people are arrested in Russia for Gay acts, maybe we should boycott, but the skaters don't like that idea at all. Still, is this being presented as a sport or performance art? Give it some thought what many cultures feel about what they will see.

Islamic countries likely block skating due to the outfits sadly. Ashley had two tasteful costumes-not on the money but acceptable. Michelle always tried to wear a full panty, not the thong with but hanging out. I also wonder what heaven thinks. I know many do not share that perspective. But modesty matters in many cultures. And one can skate a beautiful program with a classy unoffensive costumes. Less is not more in this case. Kwan's costumes held up in competition as they were usually appropriate. She did do the skin reveal as she got older in COI. There is much pressure on entertainers to show their bodies. Funny how whitney could just stand there and sing in those stunning gowns. Talent needs no over gilding esp. in the sport of FS. Mao does show much taste. Funny Japan's ladies are more tatsteful than the guys, in general, anyway.

Oreo

On the Ice
It is a sport first, and I am all for going back to simpler age appropriate costumes. Peggy and Doro had lovely lines, and the costumes never detracted. Only MK seemed to get that competition costumes should be modest and flattering. Over 3 decades, so many of costumes, starting with ID went down wrong road I think. I realize my perspective is older, less tainted by the era that Madonna and Brittany brought to pop music.

But we try to tell people it is a fascinating, very difficult sport. Many of the costumes (agree Russia has been biggest offender for years) detract from sport. Artistry matters, but there is nothing nice, appropriate or "sporty" about the negligees. I think Maria B was the first to wear very sheer fabric and thong like undies. Now even sweet little Alissa has done the negligee sex appeal. Do you really think these girls do not know they are trying to turn on the judges?

I do think many outfits hurt the sport, either through being just horrific taste, -Russian shreds never die, or obscene. Adelina looks like she is copying the top part of a Cher outfit to the Oscars. It is bad enough that few are classy, tasteful, age appropriate, but obscene has been mentioned and I think that is fair. Yelena is a hot mess of an under aged vegas showgirl.

I wish they'd crack down on costumes. Most would look better in black unitard, regardless of their gender or gender identity. It would be nice to se the pendulum swing the other way. Most costumes don't do much for the music anyway and leave us all wondering what they mean.

I certainly was one to say if people are arrested in Russia for Gay acts, maybe we should boycott, but the skaters don't like that idea at all. Still, is this being presented as a sport or performance art? Give it some thought what many cultures feel about what they will see.

Islamic countries likely block skating due to the outfits sadly. Ashley had two tasteful costumes-not on the money but acceptable. Michelle always tried to wear a full panty, not the thong with but hanging out. I also wonder what heaven thinks. I know many do not share that perspective. But modesty matters in many cultures. And one can skate a beautiful program with a classy unoffensive costumes. Less is not more in this case. Kwan's costumes held up in competition as they were usually appropriate. She did do the skin reveal as she got older in COI. There is much pressure on entertainers to show their bodies. Funny how whitney could just stand there and sing in those stunning gowns. Talent needs no over gilding esp. in the sport of FS. Mao does show much taste. Funny Japan's ladies are more tatsteful than the guys, in general, anyway.

I always thought Nicole Bobek had some of the classiest competition outfits around.

Amei

Record Breaker
I think they are trying (without success) to make her look older. I kinda wonder if she is her stated age, but that's just me. Anything is hard to tell about what she really looks like, since she's covered with that tarted up nonsense.

I would think if they were 'doctoring' her age, they would've made her old enough to compete at the Olympics. I think Lipnitskaia looks younger than her age and it would make more sense that her age is doctored since she is age eligible by only a month. But she may look younger than her age, because unlike the other skaters she doesn't seem to put her make-up on by the gallon or liter. Some of the other girls, it seems almost like a little girl running to mommy's make up and puts it on how they 'think' it should look.

Icey

Record Breaker
Hanyu may not ever be able to get a perfect costume; his mother's the designer, who is very proud of her works, and he's happy she's happy.

During the Bompard competition, Johnny weir was given credit for his lp costume.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Bobek was a vision-her costumes were very beautiful. Maybe we need to go back to simple, it needs to attract people as a sport first-costumes should reflect judging.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I dunno, I think costumes were already over the top years ago--remember the puffy-sleeved dresses that looked like someone threw up sequins and beads all over them?

"Going back" to simple would be like going back forty years--opposite of the direction that the sport should be going, IMO.

With that said, a bit of class in the costuming choices never hurt anybody.