Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Have outfits simply gone over the top?

I believe that during the last Summer Olympics the women beach Volleyballers had the option to not wear bikinis, but many did, stating it was more comfortable.

EDIT:

http://www.fivb.org/viewPressRelease...99&Language=en

I got your program components right here. Pepe Nero's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Here is what the ISU rules have to say (Rule 500, paragraph 2, page 80 of the official regulations ):

They recently dropped the language that said ladies must wear a skirt of sufficient length to cover the buttocks. That is, ladies can wear pants now -- but if they do wear a skirt, of course it must be modest, dignified and appropriate to athletic competition.
    (I wish I knew how to include the thing you quoted, Mathman, in my post.) I find this really helpful, because it shows that despite the seemingly daily widening perception that people are free to be whom they wish, this is not true in figure skating. For, in figure skating, one must follow the conventional gender norms of European America in the 1960s.

"Men must wear trousers; no tights are permitted." !!?? Let's not talk about whether one likes men wearing tights or not. Let's talk about the absurdity, in this day and age, of enforcing distinct rules for females and males. Is this the 1800s?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I'm not a fan of the whole gender bender idea - I'm totally fine with there being girls and boys and sets of "appropriate" clothing for each in the workplace and on ice.

That being said, those that are being hammered here for their "effeminate" clothing just don't come off as that (okay Johnny has gone over the top, and I don't like them, but I don't think it's what has caused the downfall of the sport in North America).
    I don't like gender bending either, Tonichelle. I'd rather just get rid of gender.

I hope my previous post wasn't what you had in mind when you mentioned the view that "effeminacy" has caused the downfall of the sport in NA. Rather, what I meant to indicate was my view that the problem is the attitude that there is something wrong with (what is called) femininity among men. It is bias against femininity (especially as evinced by men) that I think contributes to the unpopularity of FS in NA, in my view. (There are other problems too, to be sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pepe Nero View Post
    I hope my previous post wasn't what you had in mind when you mentioned the view that "effeminacy" has caused the downfall of the sport in NA. Rather, what I meant to indicate was my view that the problem is the attitude that there is something wrong with (what is called) femininity among men. It is bias against femininity (especially as evinced by men) that I think contributes to the unpopularity of FS in NA, in my view. (There are other problems too, to be sure.)
    No, you weren't the one who is arguing for effeminate costumes in mens skating to be done away with. I got that.

Gender happens, I'm not unisex, no one is without a little help from the medical field. It's not something to be done away with or embarrassed by. The idea that inanimate objects or colors or whatever has gender specific uses is what needs to change, not gender itself.

http://www.sport-express.ru/newspape...6_2/?view=page
    you can get traslated in google.

interview: You once said that you do not care what the ride. However, your costumes this season - especially one that is sewn to any program - caused a lively discussion. How about that?
    - I did not really think about what I'm wearing. When, after the first hire I was told that the dress for any program on TV looks like I'm riding naked, decided to change it. Now suit further obscured, so I feel quite comfortable in it.

I didn´t see her first costume but so her costume in Paris is aparently better .

And she aparently read figure skating forums, so I guess I must to be more careful with my comments , really it is logic, figure skating community is small, if figure skaters, their families and coaches need information as links or news definitly forums are a good source

interview :Irritating thing is that it does not always work?
    - Irritating when it begin to discuss my overly same fans, and with the position that, at times Sotnikova nothing happens, we should start to hurt someone else. Naturally, I find it insulting to read this on the internet.

This is the perfect figure skating costume.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xhD...ature=youtu.be

^

Of course no one has as classy of dresses as Alissa Czisny.

But I do love a lot of the dresses this year. Mao's new SP dress is very becoming on her. I also love Elena Radionova's SP dress, the color is great on a young girl.

I might be in the minority, but I loved Ashley's original Romeo and Juliet dress this year (the orange one).

I dislike Gold's dresses this year, though I love her.

My very favorite dress this year is Samantha Cesario's LP dress for Carmen. So classy and beautiful on her, and she has the body for it.

Carolina Kostner's dresses have never done much for me, including this year. In fact, Johnny Weir said he was confused as to whether her LP dress was a poolside dress in Vegas.

As for the gloves, I don't like them either, but I think they are more noticeable on some skaters than others, such as on Elene Gedevanishvili they are very distracting.

Welcome, Sochi_2014. Thanks for joining us. Post often, post long!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    I didn´t see her first costume but so her costume in Paris is aparently better.
    It isn't, the dress is still pretty see-through and it doesn't leave anything to the imagination.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    It isn't, the dress is still pretty see-through and it doesn't leave anything to the imagination.
    Evan's costumes are ridiculous. I was embarrassed for him at the Olympics. No self-respecting straight guy would be caught dead in that get up! Keegan Messing is another one. His Incredible Hulk costume from 2011 Nationals didn't fit him. It looked like it was thrown together. Another costume flaw was the men's Champion that year. You could basically see his manhood in that Bugle Boy outfit...

Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    Actually, it seems the interview was given AFTER Paris:

"Before leaving to Japan for the GPF Sotnikova was interviewed for sport-express.ru"

And:

"EV: You once said you dont' care much about the costumes. Yet your costumes this year, especially the LP sprang a lot of debates. What do you think about it?
    AS: I really don't care much what do I wear. When I was told the LP dress looks on the TV as if I were naked I decided to change it. It was darkened, so now I feel comfortable with it."

(From TAHbKA's translation on FSU.)

I suppose we will see on - Saturday, I believe the Ladies Free is? - if there is any noticeable difference.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    I'll keep my commentary to this year's ladies. First off, Adelina Sotnikova's bare bum look almost startled me when I first saw it. Carolina's in another head scratcher. I love the music, but the costume is confusing on so many levels. Radianova is a cute kid, but her long program dress is a horror. And while I like Ashley's dress, I think something much like Angela Nikodinov's sleeping beauty costume from years ago (pic in the link) in a nice navy blue color would be my dream costume for this program. Eh, they may all change it up yet...
    http://figureskatingcostumes.tumblr....ing-beauty-for

Quote Originally Posted by Ilvskating View Post
    Carolina's new LP dress is just way too short, and of bad cut. It is very distracting and you can see her underwear almost all the time. She really needs to make the front longer and move the slits back a bit.
    I think i have mentioned this a hundred times but, you always see underwear granted it's part of the dress so there's really no need to complain about.
    Now what she needs to do is get rid of the ugly promiscuous tights and wear her costume like the skaters in my videos, that way it doesn't matter how short her dress is, nor would you see her underwear almost all the time considering the tacky style of her costumes.

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Actually, it seems the interview was given AFTER Paris:

"Before leaving to Japan for the GPF Sotnikova was interviewed for sport-express.ru"

And:

"EV: You once said you dont' care much about the costumes. Yet your costumes this year, especially the LP sprang a lot of debates. What do you think about it?
    AS: I really don't care much what do I wear. When I was told the LP dress looks on the TV as if I were naked I decided to change it. It was darkened, so now I feel comfortable with it."

(From TAHbKA's translation on FSU.)

I suppose we will see on - Saturday, I believe the Ladies Free is? - if there is any noticeable difference.
    What a big fat liar Adelina is, seriously, she knew exactly what the dress looked like.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast