Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 203

Thread: Have outfits simply gone over the top?

  1. #31
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    The costumes that the Russian teens are wearing don't seem any different than what Irina Slutskaya was wearing from about 2001-2005ish... are they the most fashionable? no. should they be crucified for it? absolutely not. we just had another thread about this exact same topic not even a week ago. the harping on this just seems odd. they aren't hurting anyone or any thing by having lame looking costumes and it's really no more or less tacky than some of the awful things of previous eras...

    perhaps we should go back to the men just wearing suits and the ladies wearing dresses down to their ankles?

  2. #32
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,590
    Oh puhleeze, the girls are wearing negligees and thongs as teens. Irina never dressed like a ho at that or any age. pics please.

  3. #33
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    unless we're talking about exhibitions - which I have not seen this season - I can't think of a single competitive costume this year that I would consider what you describe. I'm pretty much a prude and I am not getting the same emotional reaction as apparently I need to be.

  4. #34
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,590
    Several people find Adelina inappropriate-read the responses here and there. And I have never seen a male skater look less male than hanyu's blouse. Unattractive- hurts the sport. Johnny Weir is not everyone's fave designer. But people absolutely get desensitized to bad taste/inappropriate costumes.

  5. #35
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Oh puhleeze, the girls are wearing negligees and thongs as teens. Irina never dressed like a ho at that or any age. pics please.
    http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...1-6x10-200.jpg

    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...5JmwbZ7CdSNEfQ


    I just don't see this as "ho-ish", it may be an awful dress (on Irina or any lady skater) but I think using an extreme language to prove a point is just extreme to be extreme.

    As for tacky mens costumes, they've existed far longer than Hanyu or for that matter Johnny Weir. Brian Orser's had some doozies... then there were Scott Hamilton's speedskating frog suits (or the beaded blue thing he hated)... Kurt Browning's firebird or his 92 Olympic short program... or his Tequila SP from 88... and just about anything Toller Cranston wore...

    So unless they can also be blamed for the "hurting" of figure skating, I'm just not convinced this era of skating costumes is the worst ever.

  6. #36
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    498
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    And what's with every Russian girl wearing gloves? Did Putin put out some sort of national edict, or what?
    The first one I noticed that wore/wears gloves all the time is Lipnitskaia, my theory was/is that a lot of her spins and spiral sequences involve her grabbing her blades and perhaps her coach put her in gloves to prevent her from cutting up her hands in practice. And what probably happened is that 1 did it and was very successful and the theory is 'must have gloves to win'.

  7. #37
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    Fumie Suguri wore gloves... and Megan Duhamel wears them in her LP this season... I hate the gloves on just about any of them... elbow gloves don't bother me as much as just the regular wrist ones...

  8. #38
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,747

  9. #39
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    I kinda like that costume of Ando's, actually.

    this is a semi good compilation of bad costumes (some aren't that bad IMO) but ugh... pics of Kurt's SP in 92... hate that costume... hate it hate it hate it... why, Kurt, why?!

    Kwan wore sparkly undies and bra a few times - http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...84921419686852 - she looks good in it, but if we're going to go for anything showing skin (in her case REAL skin) as being "bad for skating"...

  10. #40
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,269
    Irina was a lot older than 14-15 in those pictures. Elena's costume in particular is inappropriate for someone so young. And Adelina's long program dress borders on obscene, illusion or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...1-6x10-200.jpg

    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...5JmwbZ7CdSNEfQ


    I just don't see this as "ho-ish", it may be an awful dress (on Irina or any lady skater) but I think using an extreme language to prove a point is just extreme to be extreme.

    As for tacky mens costumes, they've existed far longer than Hanyu or for that matter Johnny Weir. Brian Orser's had some doozies... then there were Scott Hamilton's speedskating frog suits (or the beaded blue thing he hated)... Kurt Browning's firebird or his 92 Olympic short program... or his Tequila SP from 88... and just about anything Toller Cranston wore...

    So unless they can also be blamed for the "hurting" of figure skating, I'm just not convinced this era of skating costumes is the worst ever.

  11. #41
    Spiral Lover tulosai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-ge...1-6x10-200.jpg

    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...5JmwbZ7CdSNEfQ


    I just don't see this as "ho-ish", it may be an awful dress (on Irina or any lady skater) but I think using an extreme language to prove a point is just extreme to be extreme.

    As for tacky mens costumes, they've existed far longer than Hanyu or for that matter Johnny Weir. Brian Orser's had some doozies... then there were Scott Hamilton's speedskating frog suits (or the beaded blue thing he hated)... Kurt Browning's firebird or his 92 Olympic short program... or his Tequila SP from 88... and just about anything Toller Cranston wore...

    So unless they can also be blamed for the "hurting" of figure skating, I'm just not convinced this era of skating costumes is the worst ever.
    Yeah, I want to be clear that I specifically LIKE illusion fabric and have no issue with that on Adelina or any other costume. What I specifically dislike about her costume is that you can see her butt. Like, I really thought a long time about if it is me and I am just the weird one for noticing, but I have been watching skating for well over 20 years, most of that time 'seriously' and have literally NEVER noticed this before. Just watch the video of her. YOu honestly can see her butt crack and it is really, painfully noticeable, at least to me. and I'm no prude- I'm a fan of illusion fabric. I was a fan of Tukt's bright green dress 2 seasons ago that people were up in arms about. etc.

  12. #42
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    277
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Several people find Adelina inappropriate-read the responses here and there. And I have never seen a male skater look less male than hanyu's blouse. Unattractive- hurts the sport. Johnny Weir is not everyone's fave designer. But people absolutely get desensitized to bad taste/inappropriate costumes.
    Hanyu has earned the right to wear the costume designed by the designer he chooses. It is his sport as much (even more) than it is anyone else's.

    The statement that the sport is being hurt because of his costume is not true, ugly and over the top.

    Criticism is fine, but these are only costumes. If anyone is bothered that much by his costume that they cannot appreciate his skating or the sport, what it really means is they have an inability to differentiate between substance and appearance. No offence, but that would be pathetic.

  13. #43
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,876
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    Hanyu has earned the right to wear the costume designed by the designer he chooses. It is his sport as much (even more) than it is anyone else's.

    The statement that the sport is being hurt because of his costume is not true, ugly and over the top.

    Criticism is fine, but these are only costumes. If anyone is bothered that much by his costume that they cannot appreciate his skating or the sport, what it really means is they have an inability to differentiate between substance and appearance. No offence, but that would be pathetic.
    ^This. Frankly any comment about gender bending clothing is suspect--and as to why I'm sure y'all are smart enough to figure out on your own. And yes, as a gay man I find it extremely offensive.

  14. #44
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I kinda like that costume of Ando's, actually.

    this is a semi good compilation of bad costumes (some aren't that bad IMO) but ugh... pics of Kurt's SP in 92... hate that costume... hate it hate it hate it... why, Kurt, why?!

    Kwan wore sparkly undies and bra a few times - http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j...84921419686852 - she looks good in it, but if we're going to go for anything showing skin (in her case REAL skin) as being "bad for skating"...
    That was at Champions on Ice, not a competition. She never competed in an outfit like that or like the ones the Russian baby ballerinas are wearing.

  15. #45
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    Quote Originally Posted by jenaj View Post
    That was at Champions on Ice, not a competition. She never competed in an outfit like that or like the ones the Russian baby ballerinas are wearing.
    So it's not hurting skating if it's an exhibition, just at competition? I can't keep all these fan rules straight.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •