Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    I fear that if Agnes nails the SP at nationals she will score over 60 plus.
    She got 65+ last year with a fall, so she'd be closer to 70 clean.

Who deserves it? The best three overall leading up to the Olympics including the GPs and Nationals. So far that would be Ashley/Gracie no brainer there and for the moment Samantha Cesario.

In my heart of hearts I wanted Mirai to go. But she just doesn't look in top form this season. In fact she looks the worse that I've ever seen her. I hope she stays in after Sochi and has a great comeback ala Kostner/Wagner

I was disgusted when the judges at Nationals gave Agnes a 65+ with a fall in the SP. Mirai deserved an even higher score by that standard and should have been in 2nd going into the LP. How demoralizing is it to know going in that no matter how great you skate the flavor of the moment is going to be held up no matter what. I felt the same about Gracie. Imo she shouldn't have even been in the top 10 after the SP, although she did deserve to win the LP.

Custom Title
    For all of you answering, "the top 3 at Nationals," I essentially agree, but I think our original poster, skateluvr, was raising a really good point/question about the fairness of the judging at Nationals- in other words, she was suggesting that the judges at nationals may favor Agnes or Gao over Sam or Mirai even if the latter skated clean. Her question was trying to push towards exploring that possibility, I think, and also towards assessing overall most deserving candidates regardless of judging.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    Nothing against Cesario, she sells her programs very well..... But skating in a competition with the top ladies, Kim Yuna, Mao Asada, Carolina, Akiko, Gracie and Ahsley to name a few, you will see how weak her skating skills can be. In Paris, she was slow. But if she gives the performace of her life at nationals do send her
    Currently in the isu season world standings Cesario is 6th; Ashley 5th.

Custom Title
    I don't think Cesario will get the third spot. There will be a lot of competition for that third spot. Agnes and Christina have more of a track record at Nationals as, of course, do Mirai and Alyssa. I personally do not think Alyssa will come back. Mirai could surprise (or maybe it's just wishful thinking). I think Agnes is the best bet right now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wordsworthgirl View Post
    Her question was trying to push towards exploring that possibility, I think, and also towards assessing overall most deserving candidates regardless of judging.
    From that perspective, only Ashley has results strong enough to merit an Olympic berth regardless of the outcome at Nationals. She "deserves" to go based on three seasons of excellence (relative to other US ladies). She doesn't lose any head-to-heads against other Americans, is by far our most reliable skater ,and can score well enough to medal if things go right. No others, not even Gracie, "deserve" to go unless they medal at Nationals. However, if the judges insist on inflating scores for their favorites, I'd prefer Gracie to get that treatment rather than Agnes because Gracie actually gets good marks from international judges. It's ridiculous for someone like Agnes to fall and beat her international PB score by 5+ points.

On the Ice
    It is kind of frustrating that we don't have a really strong 3rd prospect to send to the Olympics. Especially with actually having the three spots available this year!

That said, maybe things will turn around for some of our ladies.

I'd hate to see unreliable Agnes get to go over Sam. She's so much better.

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    Ashley is the only one who is skating like she wants to go to Sochi. Gracie has been mediocre at best, Agnes and Mirai tanked their first outing, Christina started strongly but fell to pieces at TEB...Samantha is the only skater other than Ashley who put forth two strong performances at both of her events and she's a newbie...

Ashley and Samantha aside, the US ladies vying for these spots have been a giant disappointment so far this season. The US has a bunch of 4+ year veterans who are skating like it's their first time on the GP. Meanwhile the Russians have a bunch of first, second and third year seniors who are skating and competing like the seasoned vets are supposed to. It's a little embarrassing to be honest. What happen to this crop of US skaters? Why are there so few real competitors among them? Ashley seems to be the only skater who actually wants to win anything...it's like everyone else says they want to win yet they skate like they're afraid to. I think they want the medals and notoriety that comes with winning but they are terrified of the pressure and expectation winning brings.

I truly hope Polina, Angela, Karen and the other junior girls have more drive, competitiveness and focus than this current crop...

Custom Title
    Ashley and Gracie are locks, IMO, both with an outside chance of a medal. I'd like to see Gao making it as well - she's nice to watch, quite consistent, and has the best look on the ice out of all of the other contenders - Agnes, Sam, and whoever else is in the run.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    So far I am also going with Ashley, Gracie and Cesario. Maybe Cesario will have better scoring potential with the 3 loop/ 3 toe. I have GAO in 4th, hicks 5th.

The third place skater is going to be very important. It has to be someone who can back up Ashley or Gracie if for some reason they can't skate in the team competition. One of them may not be able to skate and may need to rest for a few days. I feel like Sam or maybe GAO could do that. Courtney could to but she is just not going to score well. I would not trust Agnes to skate and Mirai will get called for UR if she does skate well. I have felt for years that Mirai was burnt out. She should have taken a year off after the Olympics.

I don't think they will give Polina a chance. She will be sent to world juniors for sure.
    Actually the third place lady isn't very important. First ladies and the team event are furthest a part scheduling wise. And it is not like one lady couldn't skate both events (sp and lp). Several countries they don't have a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexaD View Post
    It is kind of frustrating that we don't have a really strong 3rd prospect to send to the Olympics. Especially with actually having the three spots available this year!
    Maybe three US ladies don't "deserve" Sochi after all

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    I am rooting for Samantha Cesario. She has been so unlucky with injuries the last few years, and she shouldn't be a 'newbie'. She skates with flair, and has ambitious content. I was Team Gao, but she has done nothing this season to justify it if Samantha outskates her. My list: (and this does not include the up and comers this year whom I have never seen....)

1. Wagner
    2. Gold (like someone said, these two earned the spots, they deserve to go)
    3. Cesario
    4. Gao/Nagasu
    6. Hicks
    7. Zwadska

Banned
    There is no way Wagner and Gold arent going. Yes Gold isnt skating great now, but it doesnt matter. She will be PCSed onto the team if need be. Unless she lands only 2 triples and atleast 2 out of Nagasu, Gao, Zawadzki, etc...skate lights out and perfect 7 triple LPs and clean short programs she is being placed top 3 and on the team.

At this point Cesario, Gao (despite her one off LP), Zawadzki, and Hicks are the main contenders IMO. I dont see Nagasu making it, and I dont see them taking a chance on Wang or another younger skater.

Custom Title
    Zawadski really impressed me (and Mirai surprised me) with her SP today. She's certainly fighting for that 3rd spot. A medal at CoR, particularly over Mirai would really help her cause.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast