Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi?

It would be very rare for the United States or any country to have three ladies all involved in the medal conversation. (Kristi Yamaguchi, Nancy Kerrigan, and Tonya Harding?) There is no reason not to hold a fair national championship competition and let the chips fall as they may.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamForeman View Post
    I am rooting for Samantha Cesario. She has been so unlucky with injuries the last few years, and she shouldn't be a 'newbie'. She skates with flair, and has ambitious content. I was Team Gao, but she has done nothing this season to justify it if Samantha outskates her. My list: (and this does not include the up and comers this year whom I have never seen....)

1. Wagner
    2. Gold (like someone said, these two earned the spots, they deserve to go)
    3. Cesario
    4. Gao/Nagasu
    6. Hicks
    7. Zwadska
    Allisa is done as we read...she might have been held up as in past. I wish her well, one of the most beautiful ladies ever, and great qualities. Hicks is a threat due to jumps but there is nothing there. Gracie is a far better presenter. I feel she is much more than just a jumper. Her canned sp, a mistake shows her skating skills. Her speed will be back with confidence. She is the future-only confidence-a good sports doc stands in her way. Bezic feels she'll be unbeatable. She will be held up if need be. She did great getting 3 spot with Ashley. Watch for Gracie-who wants number 1 spot to really let go this nationals. She could steal 1st with a mostly clean program in LP. I'm concerned about her SP but Frank is shrewd and conservative...he has a good plan, I am sure. He must feel she can score higher with diff SP to change it so late in Oly year. A mystery!!!! to figure out.

I truly hope Cesario is consistent. I'm counting on a great GP final showing, two fiery performances in Boston and onto the team. After Ashley, she is our most consistent senior. She's lost 2 crucial years so I send her my prayers/best wishes.

Custom Title
    Well, who do the US judges like/will place 3rd in a close call?
    They seem to like Agnes a lot. They don't seem to like Christina. I don't know about Samantha. I liked her a lot, but she's not a "pretty" skater. Agnes isn't either, but she's a good short-programmer and could do well in the team competition in that segment.
    If Alissa is there and she skates pretty clean, she's got a good chance, unless they are still really, really mad over her meltdown two years ago.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    It would be very rare for the United States or any country to have three ladies all involved in the medal conversation. (Kristi Yamaguchi, Nancy Kerrigan, and Tonya Harding?) There is no reason not to hold a fair national championship competition and let the chips fall as they may.
    Don't forget Hughes/Kwan/Cohen, ending up 1st, 3rd and 4th.

Banned
    Alissa is already out of it. She WD from Sectionals and her season is done. Not that she ever was going to make the team anyway (and yes I bet they do hold her WD from Worlds 2 years ago against her, the same way they were done with their former pet Flatt after the 2011 Worlds debacle).

I agree in the past they havent liked Christina but they might just go for the solid and consistent skater this time around if she delivers at Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Don't forget Hughes/Kwan/Cohen, ending up 1st, 3rd and 4th.
    Kwan, Lipinski, and Bobek were pushed as being the next big three in 98 as I recall.

Custom Title
    Miria isn't even getting love from international judges anymore. Her three triple SP barely topped 60 points today. I'd be surprised if she ends up making the team at this point.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Miria isn't even getting love from international judges anymore. Her three triple SP barely topped 60 points today. I'd be surprised if she ends up making the team at this point.
    I believe, like Kostner, she was also a victim of the wacky judging. Her PCS used to be hovering around 30, but now it's been scaled back. Her PCS at NHK was 27.40 with errors on all her jumping passes, and here she skates as well as she can and doesn't even clear 28.

Custom Title
    When you consistently don't perform well some of the judges as well as fans lose faith in you. I think that is what happen to Mirai.

Banned
    Add to that her chronic < problem in her jumps that she will never get past in a LP with 7 jumping passes, including atleast 6 triple passes planned, and I agree. No way she is getting on that team. Atleast someone else of the ones vying for the 3rd spot will skate well enough to shut out her best realistic skate (which would be a clean SP and a cleanish LP with 2 or 3 < or << calls).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Kwan, Lipinski, and Bobek were pushed as being the next big three in 98 as I recall.
    Which was pure delusion. Bobek had done absolutely nothing (and even if I am prone to hyperbole on occasion, this is no hyperbole) internationally since her World bronze in 95. I could barely contain my laughing at the crazy over the top U.S sweep predictions and hype at the time. They were based on pure fantasy. Bobek ultimately finished 17th, about as expected considering she was only 13th at the 97 Worlds, and did not even qualify for the U.S Worlds (beaten out by 15th place finisher at those Worlds Tara Lipinski). In the 3 years of grand prix competition which began the season after the 95 Worlds (and as today had on average 30% of the Worlds top skaters per event), Bobek had managed 1 bronze medal. From every standpoint she wasn't even a top 10 World skater anymore, and Kwiatkowski who she beat out to make the team produced better international results by then.

skating philosopher
    Mirai did get a level 1 spin that she can easily get level 4 on. That was 1.5 points right there. Still that only puts her around 62 something for a clean program when Gracie scored the same for a program lacking a 3-3.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Mirai did get a level 1 spin that she can easily get level 4 on. That was 1.5 points right there. Still that only puts her around 62 something for a clean program when Gracie scored the same for a program lacking a 3-3.
    Didn't Gold have a mistake too. Either way Mirai doesn't need to worry about Wagner or Gold, we know she is never beating them at this point. She needs to worry about all the U.S girls behind those two.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Didn't Gold have a mistake too. Either way Mirai doesn't need to worry about Wagner or Gold, we know she is never beating them at this point. She needs to worry about all the U.S girls behind those two.
    That's my point, they scored the same despite Mirai having much more clean program.

Anyway, I still think she's in it for No. 3. Christina, Anges and Mirai all have a 62+ SP under their belt, which neither Hicks or Cesario have at this point. Anyway, we'll have a better idea tomorrow.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    I think that was the result of Campbell's trying to sell some soup (Wasn't Nicole picked for the commercials with the other two even before Nationals?)

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast