Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi?

Custom Title
    Sam is really amazing at selling her programs. her performance is very very impressive. people got goosebumps watching her! but she is slow at skate america. I adore Mirai! Gracie is such a beauty and improved a lot, presentation wise this season, Ashley is also very impressive, great performer, but she is also kinda slow...
    I love Christina Gao too, understated elegance with inner strength, very rare quality among US ladies! I love them all, so hard to choose....

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    Zawadski really impressed me (and Mirai surprised me) with her SP today. She's certainly fighting for that 3rd spot. A medal at CoR, particularly over Mirai would really help her cause.
    I would be happy if she proves me wrong, but if Agnes manages to pull off anything resembling a clean LP, I'll eat my pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Miria isn't even getting love from international judges anymore. Her three triple SP barely topped 60 points today. I'd be surprised if she ends up making the team at this point.
    Yeah. I think maybe partly they have 'lost faith' as someone else said, but she also just does NOT skate with enthusiasm and passion anymore, and it IS impacting her PCS significantly IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    Yeah. I think maybe partly they have 'lost faith' as someone else said, but she also just does NOT skate with enthusiasm and passion anymore, and it IS impacting her PCS significantly IMO.
    Agreed. Skating with blank face + going through motions + being seen as a skater past their prime who isnt supported highly by their federation anymore = mediocre PCS.

Custom Title
    The crazy thing is that veteran Mirai is the same age as fresh faced Cesario, only a year older then Gao and Zawadzki and almost 3 years younger then Kim and Asada, 6 years younger then Kostner and 8 years younger then Suzuki. I think she's got a 3rd act due soon , though she has to want it!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ivy View Post
    The crazy thing is that veteran Mirai is the same age as fresh faced Cesario, only a year older then Gao and Zawadzki and almost 3 years younger then Kim and Asada, 6 years younger then Kostner and 8 years younger then Suzuki. I think she's got a 3rd act due soon , though she has to want it!
    Her < problem is chronic and not easily fixed. The quality of her skating has declined a lot from her peak in 2009-2011 too for whatever reason, and her rep value is way down. Julia making a ton of mistakes beat one of her best efforts in years in the LP, and crushed her on PCS.

Then again who knows. After Sochi will be a clean slate for a lot of people. I think a lot will depend on finances if it is even feasible for her to keep going or not.

ISU, stop promoting 2-foot skating!
    I would like the US Olympic Team to be Ashley Wagner, Polina Edmunds and Samantha Cesario.

Ashley Wagner's skating is now at such level, she seems to be head and shoulders over other US Ladies, overall. Hard to imagine her not winning US Nats, unless she bombs.

Polina Edmunds has skated extremely well at both of her JGPs and she has the best jumping content of any US lady at the moment. Not selecting her for JGP last season was one of the most stupid USFS decisions ever. Time for atonement!

Samantha Cesario seems to have addressed her underrotation issues, is in great shape and she's a skater with presence and character, who stands out from the crowd. I haven't been this excited about a US lady ever. She does need to work on developing more speed though.

I think that Gracie Gold and Courtney Hicks are both capable of getting on the team. Gold hasn't been very consistent this season, though. If she lands her jumps, she's definitely in. But will she? Hicks is an excellent jumper but the PCS aspects of her skating are very poor at this stage.

Clean Nagasu and Gao could probably sneak in but will need mistakes from others.

Banned
    Probably only Ashley Wagner...although it seems unlikely that she will medal in Sochi considering how weak her long program is. Gracie Gold is clearly a head-case skater...it would be a miracle if she skated two somewhat clean programs in a row. The rest of the American ladies are pretty meh...none of them are glaringly awful, but none of them have something special, either.

Tripping on the Podium
    After watching Pacific Coast Sr...no way for any of them! I know video looks slow, but WOW! No Triple-Triples, not even Lam's trademark 2 double Axels. Keiser used to pop of triple triples. Sad when the winner barely cracks 100!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PzAhGwBBz8

Polina in Minsk, Junior Grand Prix in Sept. She's lovely but Sam could better handle Oly, I think, Polina is too too green.
    Yes, Polina is too green.
    She looks like Pogorilaya past season - ready to Junior, not ready to Senior Internationals.

But ... Past season was the situation - Gosviani and Leonova had ISU Championships spots, as the best age eligible Ladies for 3rd spot.
    Probably Pogorilaya (she was ahead them at Russian Nats and had higher Season Best Score) would have better results than Gosviani at Euro and than Leonova at Worlds, only because her jumps and stability.
    Pogorilaya was not age eligible past season.

Situation like this may be in US female skating this season. But Polina Edmunds is age eligible. So she may fill the spot.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    USFS should send the 3rd place girl from Nationals.
    3rd of age eligible.
    3rd place of US Nats may be Karen Chen, who is not.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bump View Post
    Probably only Ashley Wagner...although it seems unlikely that she will medal in Sochi considering how weak her long program is.
    I'm not sure why people keep criticizing her LP. It obviously has the scoring potential to keep her in the medal hunt. What other program of her's can earn above ~135?

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    3rd of age eligible.
    3rd place of US Nats may be Karen Chen, who is not.
    Karen is competing in juniors nationally.

Custom Title
    I would choose Gracie representing our future, Ashley deserves a Olympic experience and Samantha a NY/Long Island girl.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    If they score Agnes like they did last year the other ladies have no chance for that third spot. She almost won the SP with a fall.
    Gracie bombed with UR and had 1A.
    Courtney URed.
    GOE of Mirai were even higher than Agnes'.
    Agnes had highest BV of all competitors.

But I believe that GOE of her jumps are a bit too high. And she was slow as usually.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Karen is competing in juniors nationally.
    Thank you, I didn't know.

But why? As for me Karen's skating is more "seniorish" than Polina's.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast