Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi? | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi?

elif

Medalist
I like Samantha but she does have a tendency to UR her jumps; same with Polina---that could hurt both of them at Nationals. Just because Mirai didn't get a string of URs at CoR doesn't mean her UR problem is a thing of the past. That particular caller was pretty lenient with URs; Miyahara and Murakami usually get many more than they did there.

Gracie doesn't UR and last year she showed her Nationals grit. I can't imagine Gracie NOT making top 3.

I don't think Edmunds has UR problem like Samantha and Mirai. She got 61 and 62 TES for her long this year. That was very good for juniors. You can add another 3 point for spiral seq.

flying camel

Medalist
Me three. Sam skated very well during the GP. She deserves something. Even if its 1st alternate to the olympics. She may get a world championship or four continent spot. That will set her up well for next season.

penguin

On the Ice
It will be the feel good moment of Nationals if Mirai comes back to life and gets that third spot! IMO.

I agree. It would also make quite the story, heading into the Olympics -- Mirai had so much potential, shined at the last Olys, faltered ever since, and finally came back! It's the stuff people eat up. Of course she would have to skate really well for this to even be an option, but if she did I can see how the overall narrative could sway things in her favor.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Im surprised many consider Edmunds

she's what ? she has no senior experience
and for now is not on the hot bubble list to merit an Olympics spot
she is a junior and should first at least do well in JGP and maybe Junior Worlds

Barb

Record Breaker
Im surprised many consider Edmunds

she's what ? she has no senior experience
and for now is not on the hot bubble list to merit an Olympics spot
she is a junior and should first at least do well in JGP and maybe Junior Worlds

I am agree, she looks very juniorish, of course she has potential

macy

Record Breaker
well i think ashley and gracie will easily take the top 2 spots no matter how they skate. as others have said, ashley has earned it, she has the reputation, and she is the US's best hope for a medal. gracie is second most competitive in the US internationally so i think she should be on the team and i think USFSA will take her anyway. the third spot i think is A LOT of skaters' game...

courtney
agnes
mirai
christina
samantha
ashley cain
polina
hannah
angela

think i got everyone...of course some have bigger chances than others such as the top 5 i listed. as much i would love to see mirai make the team, i would rather see someone else get the olympic experience instead. but i want mirai to skate great at nationals...but the chances of this happening? probably not big, because of the pressure to make the team. and the chances of her placing well, probably not big either, although i would love to see her do both. i hate to sound like a debbie downer, because i am a fan of mirai...but that's just my opinion of what i think will happen. but if she makes the team, i will be extremely happy for her.

they will probably hold up agnes either way, but as for if it will be enough, who knows. i just want it to be fair...if she skates well enough then put her on the team, if not then put someone deserving on there. the girl has so much talent that she hasn't put to use because of her head, i just hope the judges make a wise decision with her depending how she skates.

if she skates clean, courtney has a shot, but i think others will have to falter. she has A LOT of room for improvement. all i see with her are jumps and fast skating. and that's literally it. she gets gobbled up on the international stage.

christina needs to prove herself after placing 5th at nats for so many years and her bad outing at her last GP. i feel like she hasn't really improved at all in the last year or two, but she does have a greater chance to make the team than others because she has experience and a reputation.

i will say right now i am a HUGE samantha fan...i have been watching her for about 4 years now and the improvement has been so impressive. i love her artistry and the package has and is coming together very nicely. she has work to do on things like speed and spins but she can compete with some of the international senior ladies and almost all of the US ladies and i love her choreo for her carmen LP this year, especially the ending. i think she is a big condender for the 3rd spot.

i think ashley cain can squeeze in with a shot, along with hannah. this is also if others falter. they are both newbies but are both impressive and have a year skating as a senior already, as well as a couple years competing internationally as a junior (ashley had the one comp as a senior this year). i think both are capable of scoring up to 120 in the LP at nats when clean (hannah scored 115 with a couple errors at sectionals) both can do all triples, ashley can do a 3+3, and they are both artistic and mature skaters.

i read earlier in the season polina had a goal of making the olympic team this year. i don't think it's impossible, but i definitely think it's a long shot for her being that she has absolutely no senior experience at all. again, many have to falter for her to make it i think. she does skate well most of the time, but does look coltish still. i don't think it's her time at all.

angela has not been skating well this season so i do feel she has to prove herself at nats if she wants to make the team. i do really like her programs this season and she falls in the same category for me as ashley cain and hannah.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Agnes has a great shot at the team. I haven't liked her skating much in the past and always thought she was overrated by the USFSA, but watching her GP programs over, she is much more refined now than she has been in the past. Her choreography and costumes are far better and if everyone skated clean I'd have her solidly in 3rd.

flying camel

Medalist
I think Edmunds will be sent to Junior Worlds. Someone has got to go. Karen may not even be at Nationals. Angela Wang has not proven to be a steady competitor. I think She will go to junior worlds also. I'm hoping Hannah Miller and Ashley Cain will be on the four continents team. They need more senior experience. For me the front runners to join Ashley and Gracie are Mari, Samantha and Gao.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Agnes has a great shot at the team. I haven't liked her skating much in the past and always thought she was overrated by the USFSA, but watching her GP programs over, she is much more refined now than she has been in the past. Her choreography and costumes are far better and if everyone skated clean I'd have her solidly in 3rd.

If anything Agnes is regressing this season.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
I like Agnes but if she falters in the SP and they hold her up for third over much cleaner skates I will not be a happy camper.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I like Agnes but if she falters in the SP and they hold her up for third over much cleaner skates I will not be a happy camper.

I dont think that will happen. If there is one thing it seems you can count on Agnes for it is a clean and very confident SP at Nationals every year. Beyond that who knows though.

As for her overall skating and packaging, I would have to say I have arrived at a different conclusion than drivingmissdaisy. I dont like her programs this year, especialy her LP. I especialy dont like the costuming, overly heavy makeup, and how it goes with the music and choreography, and the effect it creates. I find her gaudy and garish in her approach this year. I was dissapointed in her skating at Cup of Russia. Even the jumps she landed were mostly two footed and got -GOE. Agnes's strength is her jumps, so if she is going to have some big misses and continue to fail to do clean programs, she atleast needs to complete outstanding jumps on the ones she lands that get large GOE. If she cant atleast do that, then she is toast.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I agree. It would also make quite the story, heading into the Olympics -- Mirai had so much potential, shined at the last Olys, faltered ever since, and finally came back! It's the stuff people eat up. Of course she would have to skate really well for this to even be an option, but if she did I can see how the overall narrative could sway things in her favor.

Dear lord, let her crack a smile though.

I remember her tremendous improvement in 2010 from Cup of China (I think it was) to Nationals. I thought, what on Earth did Frank put in her water? She looked so somber at Cup of China that it was stunning to watch her so joyous and at ease at nationals. I suppose that 1. She was just so trained up that she couldn't help but feel confident. 2. Frank somehow figured out how to trigger that trust in her level of training.

This year, assuming the training is there, I just hope she figures out how to trust it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I dont think that will happen. If there is one thing it seems you can count on Agnes for it is a clean and very confident SP at Nationals every year. Beyond that who knows though.

More accurately, her marks reflect a clean and very confident SP, whether or not she actually delivers that.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
More accurately, her marks reflect a clean and very confident SP, whether or not she actually delivers that.

I think the problem us observers see in Agnes is that when she hits, she HITS. Her jumps when clean are probably the most beautiful in history. Better than Harding who always had a tilt. And then Agnes goes to a competition and flubs it all. But still manages a placement. It's tough, Agnes is THAT GOOD. She just can't put it on competition ice. I can't watch her anymore, it's like Bobek redux.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

As for her overall skating and packaging, I would have to say I have arrived at a different conclusion than drivingmissdaisy. I dont like her programs this year, especialy her LP. I especialy dont like the costuming, overly heavy makeup, and how it goes with the music and choreography, and the effect it creates. I find her gaudy and garish in her approach this year. I was dissapointed in her skating at Cup of Russia. Even the jumps she landed were mostly two footed and got -GOE. Agnes's strength is her jumps, so if she is going to have some big misses and continue to fail to do clean programs, she atleast needs to complete outstanding jumps on the ones she lands that get large GOE. If she cant atleast do that, then she is toast.

Agnes did not have a clean SP at Nationals this year - she fell on the double axel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vawazEbumQI

Mirai should have been 2nd not 3rd going into the FS.

Imo Agnes has been held up and favored by the USFS and Nationals judges these past couple of seasons over skaters like Nagasu, Gao, and Cesario.

flutzy13

On the Ice
I think the problem us observers see in Agnes is that when she hits, she HITS. Her jumps when clean are probably the most beautiful in history. Better than Harding who always had a tilt. And then Agnes goes to a competition and flubs it all. But still manages a placement. It's tough, Agnes is THAT GOOD. She just can't put it on competition ice. I can't watch her anymore, it's like Bobek redux.

When was the last time Agnes really really hit? Cup of Russia 2012 short? Its been so long I can't remember.

Beautiful jumps, seemingly sweet girl but I have zero faith in her being able to execute under Olympic lights when she's flubbed on the GP circuit over and over.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's very simple: the ladies who deserve Sochi are the ones who bring it at Nationals.

It doesn't matter how Christina or Mirai or Agnes or Gracie or Samantha or Polina skated in the JGP/GP. It's what they do in Boston when the pressure is on that counts.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
It's very simple: the ladies who deserve Sochi are the ones who bring it at Nationals.

It doesn't matter how Christina or Mirai or Agnes or Gracie or Samantha or Polina skated in the JGP/GP. It's what they do in Boston when the pressure is on that counts.

It didn't matter last year when girls cleaner than Agnes (who had a fall) were placed below her in the SP.

And this is the problem I have. Imo, at Nationals Agnes gets held up over better skates. It's not fair to those who do skate great on the night.