Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi?

Custom Title
    I like Samantha but she does have a tendency to UR her jumps; same with Polina---that could hurt both of them at Nationals. Just because Mirai didn't get a string of URs at CoR doesn't mean her UR problem is a thing of the past. That particular caller was pretty lenient with URs; Miyahara and Murakami usually get many more than they did there.

Gracie doesn't UR and last year she showed her Nationals grit. I can't imagine Gracie NOT making top 3.

skating philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It's going to be hard for them to do so. Fans are going to show up ready to cheer for their favorites (Ashley, Gracie, Mirai) and even a great performance from Angela or Polina is going to get a tepid response because a lot of the fans don't know much about them. I can easily see those two going clean in the SP and scoring < 60.
    If they do a super awesome performance, the audience will stand behind them even if they don't have a lot of name recognition.

That happened with Jason Brown in 2011. Nobody knew he was and he didn't even have a 3A. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94pHGvq3Fs

Ross Miner, who compared to his competitors wasn't as well-known, also got a standing ovation for his performance that year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOgpzmj4Lc That was the performance that helped him edge out Jeremy Abbott for bronze.

Okay, those were both FS, not SP...but I still think my point stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    If they do a super awesome performance, the audience will stand behind them even if they don't have a lot of name recognition.

That happened with Jason Brown in 2011. Nobody knew he was and he didn't even have a 3A. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G94pHGvq3Fs

Ross Miner, who compared to his competitors wasn't as well-known, also got a standing ovation for his performance that year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOgpzmj4Lc That was the performance that helped him edge out Jeremy Abbott for bronze.

Okay, those were both FS, not SP...but I still think my point stands.
    I agree; I don't think skating audiences are biased against newcomers at all. On the contrary, they've always been very quick to get excited and enthused about a new skater that really lays down a great performance, especially a young one. Look at the response Naomi Nari Nam got at nationals in 1999, or Sasha a year later. If anything, the fact that the skater was new on the scene made everyone more excited about what they were seeing.

I do think a newer senior has a chance for the third spot, definitely. If a new face really brings it and the Mirai et al. is fairly mediocre, they'll give it to them.

Custom Title
    Last year, Alex Johnson and Wes Campbell skated early in the FS order and both got standing ovations. Wes was 20th after the SP, was 11th in the FS and 14th overall; Alex was 12th after the SP, 5th in the FS and 7th overall.

Wes retired after Nationals. Alex had surgery this summer and won't be at Nationals this year but hopes to return next year.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    Ashley will be champion barring any major upset/ blunders. The second spot right now belongs to Gracie, I honestly don't see Samatha in the conversation. She is a beautiful woman and has a nice style but her skating skills and tech content are not there yet. I hope Mirai can have a skate of her life but i don't see that Bomd program being "it" for her.

Custom Title
    It is about what international judges likes, and I think Mirai will fair well compare with Sam, who still need to build her international reputation. A Mirai with the US federation behind her would be very competitive.

Samantha has great programs, she attacks. She performs better than anyone-if Ashley is tentative, she slows down, double foots, she is not with a great sp and lp. Rocky changes have affected her. I think Samantha is capable of skating under the pressure -she doesn't have Agnes huge jumps, but Agnes is so inconsistent. I see her falling apart in Sochi. Gao has more confidence but blew it in GP. I think Samantha has good skating skills and is among a handful of ladies unafraid to let loose and perform under pressure. I think she will do very well. She is underscored. That is problem, not having the cred from two lost years.

I would be happy to see her beautiful fluid skating recognized at nationals. May she have great luck.

Tripping on the Podium
    The audience loves a new face! 3 years ago Vanessa Lam got a standing O in the SP and made the final group. Look forward to Francesca Cierra, Polina and maybe Ashley Cain breaking through to the last warm-up, then who knows?

Tripping on the Podium
    samantha's had the most consistent performances, but i'm still lighting a warehouse of candles for mirai.

On the Ice
    It will be the feel good moment of Nationals if Mirai comes back to life and gets that third spot! IMO.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I like Samantha but she does have a tendency to UR her jumps; same with Polina---that could hurt both of them at Nationals. Just because Mirai didn't get a string of URs at CoR doesn't mean her UR problem is a thing of the past. That particular caller was pretty lenient with URs; Miyahara and Murakami usually get many more than they did there.

Gracie doesn't UR and last year she showed her Nationals grit. I can't imagine Gracie NOT making top 3.
    I don't think Edmunds has UR problem like Samantha and Mirai. She got 61 and 62 TES for her long this year. That was very good for juniors. You can add another 3 point for spiral seq.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anthologyz View Post
    samantha's had the most consistent performances, but i'm still lighting a warehouse of candles for mirai.
    me too!

Custom Title
    Me three. Sam skated very well during the GP. She deserves something. Even if its 1st alternate to the olympics. She may get a world championship or four continent spot. That will set her up well for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexaD View Post
    It will be the feel good moment of Nationals if Mirai comes back to life and gets that third spot! IMO.
    I agree. It would also make quite the story, heading into the Olympics -- Mirai had so much potential, shined at the last Olys, faltered ever since, and finally came back! It's the stuff people eat up. Of course she would have to skate really well for this to even be an option, but if she did I can see how the overall narrative could sway things in her favor.

Banned
    Im surprised many consider Edmunds

she's what ? she has no senior experience
    and for now is not on the hot bubble list to merit an Olympics spot
    she is a junior and should first at least do well in JGP and maybe Junior Worlds

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast