Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Which ladies -USA -deserve Sochi?

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Sorry I forgot that. Still IMO it was silly and flukey mistake. She typically CAN skate a clean SP at Nationals (odd as internationally she cant even manage that).
    I couldn't watch all of the GPs this last year (we don't have Univeral Sports). I had to work most Sundays too but I did catch some LPs on NBC. Did Agnes not do well in both of her short programs at the GPs?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I couldn't watch all of the GPs this last year (we don't have Univeral Sports). I had to work most Sundays too but I did catch some LPs on NBC. Did Agnes not do well in both of her short programs at the GPs?
    She has actually skated quite good SPs on the Grand Prix the last couple seasons. Just not the flawless and spectacular SPs she skated the last 3 years at Nationals (minus the double axel fluke). Still much better than she has managed in the LPs.

Banned
    The word "fair" is thrown around here too often as if objective, incontrovertible marks were possible. We all know that in figure skating, "fair judging" means "judging in the way that I would judge them."

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by The Reginator View Post
    The word "fair" is thrown around here too often as if objective, incontrovertible marks were possible. We all know that in figure skating, "fair judging" means "judging in the way that I would judge them."
    Exactly. My mom says fair is what you want or think; problem everyone has different interpretations often.

Custom Title
    I think Wagner and Gold will make top 3 no matter what even if they flub up a bit so that is one spot. I have no idea who deserves. ARguments could be made that the out of competition Czisny should have the spot. Mirai who seemed to be destined to be world champion and maybe olympic champion; i am not sure she has cured her edge and ur calls especially the latter so she could easily get in trouble with what appears to be a clean skate. She has lost some of that joy even misplaced while skating to Carmen in Vancouver. I would love it if there was a complete miracle and Zhang shocked everyone that would be just too much (and too unlikely). Zawadiak, Gao, Cessario, Wang, Hicks, Edmunds, et al all have a shot it is so wide open. Who knows Flatt could fluke out too but unlikely. Mirai you would think has the best shot in some ways with her experience. Interesting indeed.

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I think Wagner and Gold will make top 3 no matter what even if they flub up a bit so that is one spot. I have no idea who deserves. ARguments could be made that the out of competition Czisny should have the spot. Mirai who seemed to be destined to be world champion and maybe olympic champion; i am not sure she has cured her edge and ur calls especially the latter so she could easily get in trouble with what appears to be a clean skate. She has lost some of that joy even misplaced while skating to Carmen in Vancouver. I would love it if there was a complete miracle and Zhang shocked everyone that would be just too much (and too unlikely). Zawadiak, Gao, Cessario, Wang, Hicks, Edmunds, et al all have a shot it is so wide open. Who knows Flatt could fluke out too but unlikely. Mirai you would think has the best shot in some ways with her experience. Interesting indeed.
    The USFSA loves a good comeback story. I wouldn't be surprised if Mirai or Flatt made the third spot especially if the other dark horses make a lot of mistakes. We want to show our best skaters to the world so then again Agnes may get the spot if she has a clean LP. Anything can happen but bank on Wagner and Gold unless they get injured. I'd like to see Gao get the third spot or Mirai so she can get a second chance. We will have to wait and see what happens.

Custom Title
    If Flatt made the team it means the US Ladies have regressed to the point we are sending a skater who is not competitive anymore to the Olympics. She is getting scores that wouldn't beat the top Junior skaters.

Custom Title
    Flatt is not going to make the Olympic team and I am sure she doesn't expect to.

Nagasu wants to make the Olympic team, but I'm not sure she has been willing to do the work required until recently, and IMO it's too little too late. I'm not convinced she has licked the UR problem and think she got lucky at CoR with a very lenient caller (Miahara, Imai and Murakami usually get dinged with lots of URs, but they each got just one). Mirai has been getting very average PCS scores from international judges because she is expressionless throughout much of her programs and makes no attempt to 'sell' them. This leaves judges with the impression that she is bored with her programs and that keeps her scores down.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    ARguments could be made that the out of competition Czisny should have the spot.
    On what basis? She hasn't shown competitive form in over 2 years.

Custom Title
    ISU international season best scores. 2013-14 season- US ladies scoring above 150

3. Wagner - 194.37 - TEB
    8. Gold - 186.65 - SC
    12. Karen Chen - 179.08 - JGP Kosice
    14. Nagasu - 175.37 - Rostelecom
    15. Gao - 173.69 - SC
    16. Cesario - 172.70 - TEB
    17. Edmunds - 171.21 - JGP Mexico
    25. Amber Glenn - 164.18 - JGP Czech
    26. Zawadzki - 163.21 - Rostelecom
    29. Cain - 162.39 - Nebelhorn
    30. Hicks - 162.00- SC
    35. Wang - 155.87- JGP Czech
    38. M. Bell - 153.17- JGP Mexico
    Last edited by b-man; 12-10-2013 at 12:38 PM. Reason: correct margines

On the Ice
    i don't know enough about the US ladies to comment on who 'deserves' to go to Sochi, but i'm a huge fan of Gracie's skating style so i'll be rooting for her. Wagner has a pretty LP with a lot of potential and she's almost definitely a lock. I like Cesario's flare but there's something about Gao that stands out to me more. So i guess my [hopeful] picks would be Gracie, Wagner, and Gao

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    On what basis? She hasn't shown competitive form in over 2 years.
    this article would explain Czisny's status http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mor...i-olympics.ap/

Custom Title
    Ashley, Samantha, and Polina are the ones that DESERVE Sochi - they are the only ladies we can trust to deliver decent performances consistently right now, but I feel that Ashley is the only one out of this group that will definitely get to go.

Gracie will likely get to go but I don't have faith that she will necessarily deliver there and as for the 3rd spot, I feel like USFS wants to give it to Zawadzki, Gao, or Nagasu although none of them have been that strong or consistent this season. Cesario or Edmunds, maybe even Hicks, could get the 3rd spot but likely only if the three I just mentioned all make a muck of it at Nationals. Cesario was lowballed at Nats last season and my guess is it happens again because they feel like she is not enough of a "star" to be on the Olympics, which is silly because she's a great competitor, always delivers creditable performances, and has no real weakness to her skating. And then Edmunds is a star in the making and is also pretty consistent.

Banned
    Wagner clearly deserves Sochi at this point, and should be named to the team before Nationals. If she were from any other country she probably would.

Gold should make it but only if she skates fairly well at Nationals, but unfortunately will probably be given the spot on a silver platter (literally with a silver at Nationals) regardless if she earns it or not.

Bronze should and will go to whoever skates better at Nationals. Before the Rostelecom Cup I might have said Nagasu wouldnt be given it no matter what, but after her strong showing there she will be allowed to get it if she outskates all other contenders.

Custom Title
    Wagner is still a mess. Very lucky to get a medal at the gpf.
    Had they scored Julia correctly, caro would have been in the gpf, and most likely push her out of the medal stand.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast